Draft Prospects - ESPN2

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Center and RB nice draft looksies

N MEX Center YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
63 COOK Ryan - SR 6- 5.5 337 5.55 ______________________________________________________________

N MEX Running Back YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
22 MOORE Dontrell SR 5-11.0 219 4.48 345.50

N MEX Wide Reciever YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
18 BASKETT Hank SR 6- 3.4 205 4.63 376.89

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ESPN 2

New Mexico versus Colorado State.

There is a stud RB in the game and NFL prospects at Center and WR for those that are interested. RB is a monster - only 6th RB to run for 1,000 yardsa 4 seasons straight. Squats almost 600 - Nice moves and power.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
DonTrell Moore
RB, New Mexico
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is one of the most productive backs in college the past three years. Is physical, tough and aggressive. Is a slashing runner with power. Shwos outstanding change-of-direction skills and burst to the hole. Sees the field well, and shows the patience to find cutback lanes. Stays low to the ground. Is an inside and outside threat. Is a good receiver with smooth hips and the solid hands to make tough catches. Is a good blocker.

Weaknesses: Is a durability question after tearing his ACL in the '04 bowl game and tweaking it in '05 season opener. Takes a pounding. Lacks ideal size. Lacks elite speed. Must develop better awareness and technique when run and pass blocking.

Bottom line: Moore shows a great combination of power, vision, body control and toughness. If he can prove capable of staying healthy, he could be an immediate boost to an NFL offense. For now, he looks to be fourth- or fifth-round prospect.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving
Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD
'02 New Mex. 245 1201 4.9 13 18.8 23 139 6.0 2
'03 New Mex. 276 1507 5.5 19 14.5 11 149 13.5 2
'04 New Mex. 232 1162 5.0 5 46.4 27 198 7.3 1
'05 New Mex. 167 843 5.0 9 18.6 19 246 12.9 3
Totals 920 4713 5.1 46 20.0 80 732 9.2 8

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:
Center and RB nice draft looksies

N MEX Center YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
63 COOK Ryan - SR 6- 5.5 337 5.55 ______________________________________________________________

N MEX Running Back YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
22 MOORE Dontrell SR 5-11.0 219 4.48 345.50

N MEX Wide Reciever YR HGT WGT Speed RATING
18 BASKETT Hank SR 6- 3.4 205 4.63 376.89

Ryan Cook is the one to watch in that group... he can play tackle, too...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Ryan Cook is the one to watch in that group... he can play tackle, too...

He's mammoth - Cook

That RB if healthy is an NFL find for someone.... Very impressive.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
SB - Its early but who are you zeroing in on at Safety in draft? Georgia has another freak athlete in the cue? I'm not a SEC privy guy - kid got game?

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
SB - Its early but who are you zeroing in on at Safety in draft? Georgia has another freak athlete in the cue? I'm not a SEC privy guy - kid got game?

Nors, my focus is naturally on free safeties more than strong safeties, and I'm looking at early prospects... my current favorites are Michael Huff from Texas (bet you would have guessed that one, LOL), Jimmy Williams from Virginia Tech and Jason Allen from Tennessee... of course, Allen suffered a serious, season-ending injury a week or so back, IIRC an Achilles, and that will drop him in the draft... Williams may well be a top 10 or top 15 pick, and I hope the Boys aren't drafting that early...

All 3 have played CB in college, all 3 have good speed and cover skills... I want a FS with cover skills, if he has a rep as a hitter that would be a bonus... this ol' Horns fan thinks that Huff might well still be on the board in the later 2nd round (say pick 50 on), and if he is, that would be my choice...

I've been hearing a lot about Laron Landry from LSU lately, but haven't really researched him so far... I know he's got the size (6-2, 205), and I know he's listed as running a 4.4 40, which is more than adequate... and I know that he led the Tigers in tackles in the 03 and 04 seasons... I also know he's a junior, so he might not be in the 2006 draft... but as for how highly he's rated, which would obviously impact on if he comes out or not, I really don't have a clue...

Later on the first day (late 2nd/3rd round range, or early on day 2) you'll find two other cornerback/safety tweeners who aren't quite as big, Donnie McCleskey from Cal and Shannon James from Massachussets... both are right around 5-10, 195 pounds... I'd prefer James, who has 19 interceptions at this point...

And later in the draft (perhaps the 5th or 6th round), 2 small college sleepers have caught my eye-- Reed Doughty of Northern Colorado, and Kevin Edwards of Montana... Doughty is 6-1, 210 pounds, and has 11 career ints... he's also a tackling machine, posting 398 tackles going into this season... and through 6 games this season, he's leading the nation in tackles, with 91 in 6 games, over 15 tackles per game... Edwards is playing corner right now, but scouts seem to think any NFL future for him would lie at safety... he's 6-2, 195 pounds, and has 12 career ints...

Again, I'm looking mostly for guys with cover skills... if the Cowboys don't pick up a solid FS in free agency in the offseason, I'd rate it very important that they draft one pretty early...

As for your questions about Greg Blue of Georgia, I don't know that much about him... he's got good size, but he plays "roverback" for the Bulldogs, and isn't that more of a strong safety position?? I do know that he had zero ints going into this season, which does not suggest that he's a strong cover guy...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis - I'm just starting to really look into the Safety class. Agree on a FS with cover skills.

My focus is also a guy with sub 4.5 speed and size. In the new NFL you have to cover ground and be able to combat the new breed TE and WR. Blue caught my eye with 4.4 speed and freak athletic ability but he's indeed a SS type.

zagnut

Reaction score
Josh Allen has a hip injury and should be fine with plenty of time to workout before the draft. It may take a little while to regain leg strength, as he was in a full leg cast and immobilized. His leg popped out and back into the hip socket.

Another FS prospects to watch for:

* Marcus Demps (Will Demps' little brother) - 6-1/205 - FS his first two years. Played CB as a Junior. Back at FS this year. Having a good year and has nice tools for the position. 2nd day prospect.

LaRon Landry has an older brother at GA Tech who is having a better season, Dawan Landry. Strong tackler - stronger than LaRon, imo. 6-2/215. First year playing FS after playing strong-side the prior 3 years. Better in coverage than all of our current safeties.

silverbear

Reaction score
zagnut said:
Josh Allen has a hip injury and should be fine with plenty of time to workout before the draft. It may take a little while to regain leg strength, as he was in a full leg cast and immobilized. His leg popped out and back into the hip socket.

Well, that's pretty good news... it will still likely push him down in the draft some, but maybe the Cowboys can come up with another Chris Canty-type steal if that happens...

Another FS prospects to watch for:

* Marcus Demps (Will Demps' little brother) - 6-1/205 - FS his first two years. Played CB as a Junior. Back at FS this year. Having a good year and has nice tools for the position. 2nd day prospect.

Sorry, I don't care for him... he actually played strong safety early in his career, not free... more important, though he's a good cover guy, he's actually a bit of a liability in the running game...

LaRon Landry has an older brother at GA Tech who is having a better season, Dawan Landry. Strong tackler - stronger than LaRon, imo. 6-2/215. First year playing FS after playing strong-side the prior 3 years. Better in coverage than all of our current safeties.

I like the sounds of that, though saying he's better in coverage than our current safeties is kind of d*mning with faint praise... I like that he's a converted QB, sometimes players making that switch have a better feel for the pass routes they'll be defending, better anticipation... on the downside, only 3 ints in college, and 4 passes broken up, doesn't speak highly for his cover skills, I'd prefer that he be a CB/FS tweener, rather than a SS/FS tweener, but I'll keep an eye on him from here on out... thanks for the input...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't like Moore. He has a history of putting the ball on the ground at the wrong time and he doesn't show up for Big Games. I posted on Hank Baskett and Ryan Cook earlier in the year. Both are local products. Baskett played his HS football in Clovis and Cook right here in Albuquerque for Cibola HS. I like both of there chances. Both good players IMO.