Draft Rules Of Thumb

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Saw this posted on Twitter and wanted to see if it could prompt some good draft discussion.

I am not a huge fan of Boylhart in general, but most of these truisms are hard to argue against.

Drew's Draft Rules

By Drew Boylhart

1. Workouts should confirm what you already know.
2. How a player plays the game is just as important as any stat.
3. Numbers don’t lie, but they don’t tell the whole story.
4. Character is as important as talent.
5. Your team will not win if they draft criminals.
6. The Combine should be for medical evaluations and for coaches to interview players on coachability — not to evaluate talent or second guess scout evaluations
7. Scouts evaluate talent; they do not draft, or slot, players.
8. Coaches coach talent. History proves most, if not all are not good talent evaluators.
9. GM’s & coaches place the value of a player to the team; scouts cannot because they are too close to the player’s profile.
10. Many times, scouts plant “inside” details to manipulate and gather more information.
11. Don’t just draft a guard. Draft centers who can play guard and guards that can play center.
12. Drafting a franchise left tackle improves three positions: LT, LG & QB. Drafting a franchise center improves, center, guards and confidence on the rest of the line as well as the offensive coordinator and QB. I love drafting offensive linemen!
13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesn’t play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him.
14. Pass rushing is not a specialty. It should be included in the evaluation of the DE or LB position in their totality.
15. Tackling, or lack thereof, is a priority and the first skill I look for when evaluating all defensive positions. A CB can cover like a blanket, but if he doesn’t want to tackle, he is worthless.
16. Insisting your team has to draft a certain player or the whole draft is a failure is a trap. The 2-board system shows you the talent in every round. No need to panic.
17. Every round must be looked at like it is as important as the first round. The goal must be to draft talent and value in every round. No more Mr. Irrelevant. It’s an insult to the player selected.
18. Bad teams in top ten should trade down whenever possible for more picks in the “present” draft and not for future picks. Future picks are for future GM’s and coaches.
19. Never trade out of the top ten when you need a QB.
20. Sell the farm (mother, wife included) to move up in a draft if you think a QB is a franchise QB and your teams needs one. Just ask for visitation rights for mom and a conjugal visit for the wife!
21. Drafting BPA is nice to say, but don’t believe it; pretty much everyone is drafting for needs.
22. If a Head Coach blows a top ten selection because of character issues, you can bet he will be fired in about three years — sometimes sooner.
23. Don’t believe the crap that this is a passing league. There are maybe five franchise QB’s in the league. The rest need the threat of a good RB to be effective.
24. WR’s and RB’s can be found in any round in the draft, but there are exceptions to every rule.
25. LB’s do not have to run a 4.30 forty. They just have to be smart enough to not to get beat by an opponent who can run a 4.30 forty.

Originally Posted 4/16/2012

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/thr/draftrules.shtml

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Good list, although I would like an elaboration on Point 10.

"10. Many times, scouts plant “inside” details to manipulate and gather more information."

Bigdog

Reaction score

"10. Many times, scouts plant “inside” details to manipulate and gather more information."
So let our scouts plant miss info on Garrett so he can drop to us, lol.

RandyOh

Reaction score
No no no no no. I don't care if a player had a 7th round grade before the combine. Hes now on my shortlist of players i want in the 3rd round. He ran a low 4.3 40 for christ sake

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
18. Bad teams in top ten should trade down whenever possible for more picks in the “present” draft and not for future picks. Future picks are for future GM’s and coaches.
Doesn't apply to the Jones family.
24. WR’s and RB’s can be found in any round in the draft, but there are exceptions to every rule.
This says a whole bunch of nothing.
25. LB’s do not have to run a 4.30 forty. They just have to be smart enough to not to get beat by an opponent who can run a 4.30 forty.
Isn't this one more on coaches' schemes to not put LBs covering speedy players?

Alexander

Reaction score

I think it might have to do with giving out misinformation to outsiders on the fringes and see what the reaction is. I have even read about teams making up scandalous stuff to see if they can influence opinion either negatively or positively.

I am sure the scouting community is like a sewing circle and there is all kinds of gossip opportunities.

Alexander

Reaction score
Isn't this one more on coaches' schemes to not put LBs covering speedy players?

Not necessarily.

There have been plenty of slower LBers who can function if they understand angles and how to effectively drop in coverage.

You often see people look at a LB 40 and think it matters but they usually think about rushing, which on many teams is a small fraction of what they are asked to do. All the speed needs to be is in the ballpark of what TEs run if they have the mental piece down.

Tristan

Reaction score
No no no no no. I don't care if a player had a 7th round grade before the combine. Hes now on my shortlist of players i want in the 3rd round. He ran a low 4.3 40 for christ sake
Alexander Wright come on down!

Tristan

Reaction score
Saw this posted on Twitter and wanted to see if it could prompt some good draft discussion.

I am not a huge fan of Boylhart in general, but most of these truisms are hard to argue against.

Drew's Draft Rules

By Drew Boylhart

6. The Combine should be for medical evaluations and for coaches to interview players on coachability — not to evaluate talent or second guess scout evaluations
8. Coaches coach talent. History proves most, if not all are not good talent evaluators.
9. GM’s & coaches place the value of a player to the team; scouts cannot because they are too close to the player’s profile.
10. Many times, scouts plant “inside” details to manipulate and gather more information.
11. Don’t just draft a guard. Draft centers who can play guard and guards that can play center.
12. Drafting a franchise left tackle improves three positions: LT, LG & QB. Drafting a franchise center improves, center, guards and confidence on the rest of the line as well as the offensive coordinator and QB. I love drafting offensive linemen!
13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesn’t play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him.
14. Pass rushing is not a specialty. It should be included in the evaluation of the DE or LB position in their totality.
15. Tackling, or lack thereof, is a priority and the first skill I look for when evaluating all defensive positions. A CB can cover like a blanket, but if he doesn’t want to tackle, he is worthless.
16. Insisting your team has to draft a certain player or the whole draft is a failure is a trap. The 2-board system shows you the talent in every round. No need to panic.
17. Every round must be looked at like it is as important as the first round. The goal must be to draft talent and value in every round. No more Mr. Irrelevant. It’s an insult to the player selected.
20. Sell the farm (mother, wife included) to move up in a draft if you think a QB is a franchise QB and your teams needs one. Just ask for visitation rights for mom and a conjugal visit for the wife!
21. Drafting BPA is nice to say, but don’t believe it; pretty much everyone is drafting for needs.
22. If a Head Coach blows a top ten selection because of character issues, you can bet he will be fired in about three years — sometimes sooner.
23. Don’t believe the crap that this is a passing league. There are maybe five franchise QB’s in the league. The rest need the threat of a good RB to be effective.

Couldnt agree more with #15

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Real scouts working for real NFL teams don't spend time tweeting out information about prospects and posting on a fan based blogging website about the team (bloggingtheboys).

Looking at you Birddog26

tm1119

Reaction score

Drew's Draft Rules

By Drew Boylhart

#'s 4 & 5 sound nice to say but aren't realistic. There are a whole lot of criminals and bad character guys with super bowl rings

AzorAhai

Reaction score
13. I love drafting offensive lineman, but you should be able to find a RG standing in the check-out line at Walmart. If he doesn’t play center or left guard, let the other teams draft him

Several I took issue with, but this one is hilarious considering.

slick325

Reaction score
Good list...thanks for posting @Alexander. Number 13 definitely doesn't apply to Zach Martin. I know he was a T at ND but Dallas saw him at RG on their roster. They shopped at Neiman Marcus not Walmart when it came to him.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think it might have to do with giving out misinformation to outsiders on the fringes and see what the reaction is. I have even read about teams making up scandalous stuff to see if they can influence opinion either negatively or positively.

I am sure the scouting community is like a sewing circle and there is all kinds of gossip opportunities.

The Kremlin refers to this as Dezinformatsiya, or Deza.