Draft Rundown -- Versatility Boosting Stock For Iowa DE

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
After covering Iowa football for the last two seasons, I can honestly say this guy is someone who can really help the team. Can play inside our outside in a 4man front, and also has the size to play outside in a 3-4. You know he has been coached extremely well too if he's a defensive linemen from Iowa.

Name: Christian Ballard
Position: Defensive End
College: Iowa
Height/Weight: 6-4/290

Strengths: His versatility has increased his overall draft value, moving him from once a mid-round pick to possibly a late-first or early-second round selection. Some defensive ends aren't good fits for certain schemes, but Ballard should be able to play in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. To fit a 3-4 scheme like the Cowboys, he has enough strength to hold his own inside, but has some athletic ability to be a viable pass-rushing option as well. From the ideal size, to the combination of run-stopping and pass-rushing, Ballard would be a solid fit for any team.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=699C6C1D-EF18-C4CB-15FFE4E4F39F04B7

Macnalty

Reaction score
If I had a choice I think I would rather have his team mate Karl Klug if push came to shove. Karl just seems to always get the job done and not always pretty but always effective.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Macnalty;3911759 said:
If I had a choice I think I would rather have his team mate Karl Klug if push came to shove. Karl just seems to always get the job done and not always pretty but always effective.

Klug has a high motor, but I can't see him going to a 3-4 team though. Could be wrong, but I see him strictly as 4-3.

However if Matt Kroul can play the nose and outside for the Jets, maybe Klug can too.