Draft Summary for the Uninitiated

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I don't watch college ball and so every year in January I have to start learning. I feel I can discuss the Cowboys roster building pretty in-depth but I don't have the knowledge of the prospects.

This year that's harder because our first pick is around 55 to 58 I think at this point, and by then the actual draft order is nothing like predictions, especially in January.

So I was hoping the more well-versed among you could drop some big picture summaries of the draft, such as the weak and strong position groups or any names I should circle as late 2nd round realistic targets, etc.

So what's your big picture assessments of this year's draft and the impacts on the Cowboys?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I don't watch college ball and so every year in January I have to start learning. I feel I can discuss the Cowboys roster building pretty in-depth but I don't have the knowledge of the prospects.

This year that's harder because our first pick is around 55 to 58 I think at this point, and by then the actual draft order is nothing like predictions, especially in January.

So I was hoping the more well-versed among you could drop some big picture summaries of the draft, such as the weak and strong position groups or any names I should circle as late 2nd round realistic targets, etc.

So what's your big picture assessments of this year's draft and the impacts on the Cowboys?
Very weak QB class
Lot of 2nd / 3rd round WRs
Strong DL / LB class
Solid o-line class

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Very weak QB class
Lot of 2nd / 3rd round WRs
Strong DL / LB class
Solid o-line class
Guys I'd keep an eye on in the 2nd / 3rd -

• Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
  • N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State (esp if we don't resign Beezy)
  • Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
  • Jerry Tillery, DE/DT, Notre Dame
  • Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
  • Gerald Willis, DT, Miami
  • Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
  • Isaiah Buggs, NT, Alabama
  • Michael Deiter, G/C, Wisconsin
  • Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey, what happened to Drew Lock? He was supposed to be great. Did he suck this year?

Mr_437

Reaction score
My early assessment is the draft is absolutely loaded on DL...like one of the best classes of the last decade or so.

Great year for us to get a play making DT, even in the 2nd.
I see a 3Tech n DE coming this draft...would prefer a 1Tech tho over a DE.

They may trade Charlton opening up a need for the rotation.

Hardline

Reaction score
Very solid TE draft.
There will be great prospects there in the 3rd round should the Cowboys go another route in the 2nd.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Interesting.

A few weeks ago I was all about the TE, but with the prospect of losing TWill, Bease, Hurns out until August even if we keep him, and Irving probably being gone I'm vacillating between DT,WR, and TE.

eta: so giving it a bit more thought, which gives us the most bang for the buck? Doubtful any WR taken will be better than 3rd on our team, and maybe we can get a decent vet.

I think a pass rushing DT and a play making TE will be the most impactful, Right now without knowing any players I'd say get the pass rusher and hope there's enough depth at TE to get someone in the 3rd.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
Interesting.

A few weeks ago I was all about the TE, but with the prospect of losing TWill, Bease, Hurns out until August even if we keep him, and Irving probably being gone I'm vacillating between DT,WR, and TE.

eta: so giving it a bit more thought, which gives us the most bang for the buck? Doubtful any WR taken will be better than 3rd on our team, and maybe we can get a decent vet.

I think a pass rushing DT and a play making TE will be the most impactful, Right now without knowing any players I'd say get the pass rusher and hope there's enough depth at TE to get someone in the 3rd.

And starting FS

The Realist

Reaction score
I think I’ve changed from thinking TE to 3T in 2. May cut Crawford for cap savings and probably won’t be able to keep Collins when his contract is up. I could see going DT, OT, TE 1-4.