Draft thoughts

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I post this every year for my own reference not to show off and pick up chicks.

Top 50
1. Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
2. Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
3. Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.
4. Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama
5. Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech

6. Vita Vea DT Washington
7. Derwin James S Florida St.
8. Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
9. Roquan Smith LB Georgia
10. Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.

11. Sam Darnold QB USC
12. Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
13. Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
14. Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
15. D.J. Moore WR Maryland

16. James Daniels C Iowa
17. Harold Landry DE Boston College
18. Mike Hughes CB UCF
19. Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
20. Josh Rosen QB UCLA

21. Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado
22. Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
23. Isaiah Wynn G Georgia
24. Justin Reid S Stanford
25. Derrius Guice RB LSU

26. Will Hernandez G UTEP
27. Sony Michel RB Georgia
28. Josh Jackson CB Iowa
29. Jessie Bates S Wake Forest
30. Anthony Miller WR Memphis

31. Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
32. Courtland Sutton WR SMU
33. Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
34. Lorenzo Carter LB Georgia
35. Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota St.

36. Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
37. Billy Price C Ohio St.
38. Connor Williams T Texas
39. Ronnie Harrison S Alabama
40. Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M

41. Ian Thomas TE Indiana
42. Josh Allen QB Wyoming
43. Geron Christian T Louisville
44. Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina
45. Rashaad Penny RB San Diego St.

46. Rasheem Green DE USC
47. Darius Leonard LB South Carolina St.
48. Frank Ragnow C Arkansas
49. James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
50. Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.

-

Mock

My real mock draft will be when the Cowboys are on the clock with their picks. Only then will I know what is really available. I'm left to guess and the rule here is if I haven't seen the player mocked or graded in that general area recently then I can not select him with that pick. I will not push players down to create a great mock as so many like to do.

No trades allowed.

This is what I would do NOT what I think the Cowboys will do.

1(19) Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
The plug and play will appeal to most who support this pick but this is more to do with the future. Simply the best WR in this draft and a capable #1 on the next level. Will thrive in the right offense. Had no QB in college. The age shouldn't be a huge issue. When you are a student of the game and a supreme route runner you extend your career. A guy like Dez doesn't age well. A guy like Ridley does. He can still give the Cowboys two contracts.

2(50) Ian Thomas TE Indiana
Underrated because of one year starting in a bad offense but there isn't a more talented TE in the draft. The skill set is there and he's a perfect fit to groom behind Witten for a year. A combo TE just like the Cowboys like them. One of the top sleepers in the class. No, this is not like Fasano or Bennett or Escobar. There's an actual opportunity now for a rookie TE to come in here and become the starter under their rookie contract.

3(81) Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina St.
Rangy athletic ascending talent capable of making plays sideline to sideline as well as thrive in coverage in today's NFL. Great special teamer to boot. A year in an NFL strength and conditioning program and you may have a core player here.

4(116) Kyzir White S West Virginia
Free or strong? Doesn't matter. The Cowboys need both. Will earn a role in subpackage defenses while developing into more.

4(137) Kendrick Norton DT Miami
Two down run plugger that hopefully gets Collins back to the 3. He'll walk into Dallas the most stout interior player on the roster.

5(171) Tegray Scales ILB Indiana
Highly productive developmental player with a knack for making plays. Has the special teams skills to buy him time.

6(192) Tony Adams G North Carolina St.
Under the radar. Stock dinged due to a lack of height. Very good in the run game and the balance to sustain blocks in pass protection. Would fit in well here.

6(193) Marcell Frazier DE Missouri
His workout raised some eyebrows. Has the traits and the hustle. Needs a nickname, a t-shirt and time.

6(208) Jordan Chunn RB Troy
I'm looking for a Zeke replacement if he can't play not a compliment who forces him to the bench. Chunn is a very underrated between the tackles runner with enough wiggle to make big plays. Surprisingly quick but not fast. Thrives in short yardage. 46 career TDs at Troy. He won't get his QB killed and he's got reliable hands. Could even play FB.

7(236) D'Montre Wade CB Murray St.
Flyer on the former RB whose notched 31 PBUs and 9 INTs the last two seasons as he learns the position. Plus it's the last pick of my mock and my own Mr. Irrelevant has to be a cornerback.

-

What I've done in previous additions of my draft thoughts. The good and the bad.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-draft-ramblings.288837/

1(30) DeMarcus Lawrence DE Boise St. - I think we know about him.
2(47) Dominique Easley DT Florida - Often injured and on his second team.
3(77) Ego Ferguson DT LSU - Bust.
3(78) Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi - A nice vertical threat when he can stay healthy who just signed a big contract.
4(119) Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern - Would have been a nice backup here. Just signed a big deal with the 49ers.
5(158) Zach Moore DE Concordia-St. Paul - Has bounced around the league as a roster filler including with the Cowboys briefly. Now a Panther.
7(229) Khyri Thornton DT Mississippi - Ended up being taken in the 3rd round by Green Bay. They regret the pick more than I do. Currently out of the league.
7(231) Zach Fulton G Tennessee - Emerged as a starter for the Texans at C and G. Gem.
7(238) Boseko Lokombo OLB Oregon - Just signed a futures with the 49ers. Has done nothing.
7(248) Marquis Spruill OLB Syracuse - Out of the league.
7(251) Jemea Thomas DB Georgia Tech - 6th round pick for the Patriots. Made a few stops including the Cowboys. Out of the league.
7(254) Terrence Fede DE Marist - Actually played in real games a little bit for Miami and has managed to stick in the league. Just signed with Buffalo.

-

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-draft-rumblings.320406/

1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Starting for the 49ers but has failed to emerge as the pass rusher I envisioned.
2(60) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson - Impact starter. One of the more disruptive DTs in the league.
3(91) Duke Johnson RB Miami - Has settled in as a complimentary back. Very good option in the passing game. Had 7 TDs last year.
4(127) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - Another 49ers starter. Hit big here.
5(163) JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas - Tore his ACL in camp his rookie year and never materialized. Currently out of the league.
7(236) DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech - Just signed a futures with the Colts after being released by the 49ers (did we share a value board this year?).
7(243) Sean Donnelly T Tulane - Bagging groceries.

-

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-draft-thoughts.347445/

1(4) Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St. - ZEEEEEEKE!!!!
2(34) Kevin Dodd DE Clemson - Looking like a bust, although in a 3-4 scheme.
3(67) Nick Vannett TE Ohio St. - Buried behind Jimmy Graham. Gets his opportunity to start this year.
4(101) Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina St. - Been starting since day 1 for the Steelers.
4(135) Blake Martinez ILB Stanford - Won a starting job his rookie year. Co-led the league in tackles this past season. Furley sniff.
6(189) Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central - Depth for the Bucs. They tried him at S and now back to CB.
6(212) Duke WIlliams WR Auburn - Playing in the CFL. What a loser.
6(216) Tyrone Holmes DE Montana - Just signed a futures with the Chiefs after two other stops in the league.
6(217) Stephane Nembot T Colorado - Backup on the Ravens.

-

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/draft-thoughts.376639/

1(28) Reuben Foster ILB Alabama - Couldn't resist the talent. Tremendous player and head case. He's a War Daddy. Just have to protect Mommy.
2(60) Taylor Moton T Western Michigan - Good looking backup on the Panthers waiting for his chance. They got a good group there.
3(92) Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan - I think you may have heard of him.
4(133) Shelton Gibson WR West Virginia - Won a Super Bowl his rookie year. His 2 catches on the season were a critical reason why.
6(211) Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern - Depth on the Vikings. It's really too early to evaluate this class. He did have a sack in the preseason so bathe in it.
7(228) DeAngelo Brown DT Louisville - Out of the league.
7(246) David Jones S Richmond - Stuck on the Patriots' roster as an UDFA.

-

Pet Cats

Lap
Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
Rashaan Evans LB Alabama

Indoor
Vita Vea DT Washington (way too big for my lap but he owns the couch)

Outdoor
James Daniels C Iowa
Jessie Bates S Wake Forest
Anthony Miller WR Memphis
Ian Thomas TE Indiana
Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina St.
Rashaad Penny RB San Diego St.
Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hays St.
M.J. Stewart CB North Carolina
R.J. McIntosh DT Miami
Christian Sam LB Arizona St.
Tony Adams G North Carolina St.

-

I know people will hyperventilate about the defense. I'm drafting talent. I firmly believe Ridley and Thomas will be studs in the NFL. Future stars for the Cowboys. The defense still got some help. Norton could potentially fix two positions by getting Collins back to the 3 where he belongs.

I didn't know what to do with Maurice Hurst. Pretend I know his condition and long term implications? He's a first round talent. I stuck him at the end of the first round.

You're hearing it now. If we take Vander D**che, or the thoroughly nauseating "LVE", at 19 I will be practicing my wheel kicks. Mega reach. He's got one year of production. He's a 2nd round pick. He is not Rashaan Evans. The Carson Wentz of linebackers.

Block out the fan rabble. Stick to your board. Don't focus on needs. Team build. You're acquiring your future not just your present. I went Ridley not because of the need but because of the player. If he's there at 19 he more than likely is at the top of my board. I can't imagine any of the 7 players I have ahead of him still being there.

I really, really, really wish the Cowboys would make a move on one of these QBs if they believe in one....but alas.

I say it every year. Greatest sporting event on planet Earth and it's all Mel, all the time for me. Bleep those other networks.

Your word for today is "Angular".

On Thursday afternoon do not disturb until Monday.

Go Cowboys.

Last edited:

Tristan

Reaction score
Love it! Disagree with u on QB evaluations as usual but I too feel Ridley is the guy!

Titleist

Reaction score
Good stuff, totally agree that Q. Nelson is the biggest talent in the draft. Doesn't get the headlines since he's a guard, but will quickly be an All-Pro - similar to Z. Martin.

reddyuta

Reaction score
We're sitting pretty. The value for CB at 19 appears to be ripe for the pickens.

lets hope somebody thinks so highly of one to actually trade up.I am sure Seattle is trading down so i dont know how that affects our chances for trading down.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Love that you have Evans that high up the board.
Really good player. Hope Cowboys don’t lose there minds over LVE’s combine.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I post this every year for my own reference not to show off and pick up chicks.

Mock

1(19) Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
The plug and play will appeal to most who support this pick but this is more to do with the future. Simply the best WR in this draft and a capable #1 on the next level. Will thrive in the right offense. Had no QB in college. The age shouldn't be a huge issue. When you are a student of the game and a supreme route runner you extend your career. A guy like Dez doesn't age well. A guy like Ridley does. He can still give the Cowboys two contracts.

2(50) Ian Thomas TE Indiana
Underrated because of one year starting in a bad offense but there isn't a more talented TE in the draft. The skill set is there and he's a perfect fit to groom behind Witten for a year. A combo TE just like the Cowboys like them. One of the top sleepers in the class. No, this is not like Fasano or Bennett or Escobar. There's an actual opportunity now for a rookie TE to come in here and become the starter under their rookie contract.

3(81) Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina St.
Rangy athletic ascending talent capable of making plays sideline to sideline as well as thrive in coverage in today's NFL. Great special teamer to boot. A year in an NFL strength and conditioning program and you may have a core player here.

4(116) Kyzir White S West Virginia
Free or strong? Doesn't matter. The Cowboys need both. Will earn a role in subpackage defenses while developing into more.

4(137) Kendrick Norton DT Miami
Two down run plugger that hopefully gets Collins back to the 3. He'll walk into Dallas the most stout interior player on the roster.

5(171) Tegray Scales ILB Indiana
Highly productive developmental player with a knack for making plays. Has the special teams skills to buy him time.

6(192) Tony Adams G North Carolina St.
Under the radar. Stock dinged due to a lack of height. Very good in the run game and the balance to sustain blocks in pass protection. Would fit in well here.

6(193) Marcell Frazier DE Missouri
His workout raised some eyebrows. Has the traits and the hustle. Needs a nickname, a t-shirt and time.

6(208) Jordan Chunn RB Troy
I'm looking for a Zeke replacement if he can't play not a compliment who forces him to the bench. Chunn is a very underrated between the tackles runner with enough wiggle to make big plays. Surprisingly quick but not fast. Thrives in short yardage. 46 career TDs at Troy. He won't get his QB killed and he's got reliable hands. Could even play FB.

7(236) D'Montre Wade CB Murray St.
Flyer on the former RB whose notched 31 PBUs and 9 INTs the last two seasons as he learns the position. Plus it's the last pick of my mock and my own Mr. Irrelevant has to be a cornerback.

Jordan Chunn fumbles too much. That's why he's a six rounder.

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
Josh Allen at 42? He's a carbon copy of Carson Wentz

thanks for the time in effort in all that.

Not really. Allen has huge questions about his accuracy. He was a 56% passer in college. In almost every single case, a QB's completion percentage drops in the NFL. Accuracy was never a concern for Wentz at 64% in college. Allen will not make it in this league if he does not improve that number. It is rare to see a guy jump 5% from college to NFL.

Carter

Reaction score
Since Witten has come out saying he wants to Play till hes 40 and he basically decides when he gets off the Field i dont see the Need of burrying another high pick on a TE that wont see the field.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I like that idea but if we can get him in a little trade back the better.

I'm with you, I was thinking about it and are we really going to get a much better player at 19 then we will in the mid-late 20's, and IMO it's no.

If we can trade back and pick up a 2nd or 3rd even if we have to throw in a 4th or so to get the 2nd I would feel much better.

I feel comfortable getting a WR in the 2nd round, and the same for safety. So why not trade back in the 1st where we can get Hernandez, Wynn, Daniels, or 1 of the LB's Evans or Vander Esch.

You now would have either multiple 2nds or 3rds and if it's 3rds you can use the surplus of picks to move up in the 2nd if need be, or jump up into the 2nd.

The trade back options give you so many options in this draft just by acquiring another day 2 pick.