Drafting an offensive tackle early, likely won't happen

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Alexander;3275695 said:
I think he played some right guard at Florida.
I think his brother plays at the G position, but Maurkice may be able to play G too.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Alexander;3275692 said:
So we are going to win it with Free and a rookie?

Let me clarify. If Flozell AND Colombo are the starting OT's, which means I can definitely live with one of them, preferebly Flozell. Colombo only plays RT, which limits him. Free needs to be a starter next year, and I think Flozell has one more year left. Draft Iupati and Ducasse, have Iupati compete with Kosier for the LG spot, and groom Ducasse to take over at LT or RT depending on what the coaches think what position best suits Free.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The Saints just won a superbowl with Jermon Bushrod (3rd year out of Towson) and Jonathan Stincomb as their tackles. Yeah I know Jamaal Brown, their LT got hurt, but it's a bit premature to say we can't win a SB with Adams and Colombo. Bushrod probably doesn't rank within the top 20 LTs and Stincomb was never considered more than an averege player prior to this season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
TheSport78;3275760 said:
and groom Ducasse to take over at LT or RT depending on what the coaches think what position best suits Free.

First I think in a few years Ducasse will be able to play RT but probably never LT.

Second, drafting Iupati and Ducasse means our 2nd round pick, likely will have no impact on the team barring injury. I just can't see how he gets activated on game days unless someone's hurt.

Last year we carried 7 o-linemen on most game days.

Flo, Colombo and Free at the tackles

Kosier and Davis at guard

Gurode at center, with Proctor backing up both center and guard.

Assuming we draft Iupti, we'll already need to carry 8 linemen, which I think most teams do.

Flo, Colombo and Free at the tackle spot.

Kosier, Davis and Iupati at the guard spot.

Gurode and Proctor/Preston at the center spot.

If we spend a 2nd on Ducasse, who's spot does he take? Realistically we aren't cutting either Colombo or Adams, so where does Ducasse fit in? We can't carry 9 linemen on game days.

eightysiX

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3275856 said:
First I think in a few years Ducasse will be able to play RT but probably never LT.

Second, drafting Iupati and Ducasse means our 2nd round pick, likely will have no impact on the team barring injury. I just can't see how he gets activated on game days unless someone's hurt.

Assuming we draft Iupti, we'll already need to carry 8 linemen, which I think most teams do.

If we spend a 2nd on Ducasse, who's spot does he take? Realistically we aren't cutting either Colombo or Adams, so where does Ducasse fit in? We can't carry 9 linemen on game days.

what about holland and pat? they are inactive. Does Ducasse have to be active on gamedays?

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
"And add in the coaching staff likes the potential of Robert Brewster at RT"

got a link for that statement ?

I still say Brewster is not a pro sized Tackle

there are only 5 RT's that are 6-4 an under that are starters

I would alomost bet your farm on us drafting either

Fox or Veldheer as or RT or LT

TheSport78

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3275856 said:

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the couple posts above. I'm assuming Proctor, McQuistan and Holland will not be Cowboys next year, so three OL spots are open (also assuming there isn't a surprise cut like Kosier, Colombo or Flozell). If you're willing to have Proctor/Preston as your backup center, then I don't know what else to tell you. Those guys should not be on an NFL roster right now.

Holland, McQuistan and Proctor cut

Here's my wish:

We draft Iupati to compete with Kosier at the LG spot.
Brewster is best suited inside at guard and will probably back up Davis.
Draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round like Ducasse or Fox to groom for the RT spot in 2011. The coaches love Free and I wouldn't be surprised if he's our starting LT in 2011. We need one more year of Flozell. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Colombo cut.

Flozell, Kosier, Iupati, Gurode, Davis, Free, Ducasse and Brewster are active on gamedays

I really believe Colombo will be cut in training camp.

rkell87

Reaction score
TheSport78;3276058 said:
Yeah, I'm going to agree with the couple posts above. I'm assuming Proctor, McQuistan and Holland will not be Cowboys next year, so three OL spots are open (also assuming there isn't a surprise cut like Kosier, Colombo or Flozell). If you're willing to have Proctor/Preston as your backup center, then I don't know what else to tell you. Those guys should not be on an NFL roster right now.

Here's my wish:

Draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd round like Ducasse or Fox to groom for the RT spot in 2011. The coaches love Free and I wouldn't be surprised if he's our starting LT in 2011. We need one more year of Flozell. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Colombo cut.

Flozell, Kosier, Iupati, Gurode, Davis, Free, Ducasse and Brewster are active on gamedays

you dont have a backup center in your scenario

TheSport78

Reaction score
rkell87;3276061 said:

I believe Kosier played center in SF, maybe he can take some snaps in training camp.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TheSport78;3276058 said:

Here's my wish:

rkell87;3276061 said:

TheSport78;3276191 said:
I believe Kosier played center in SF, maybe he can take some snaps in training camp.

*Fail*

TheSport78

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3276226 said:

Dude, lots of scenarios could happen. Maybe Brewster isn't active on gameday but we draft a C/G OL in the draft who is active. I was naming the 8 OL who should be on the squad by September. No one knows who's going to be active or inactive on gameday in FEBRUARY. I was just throwing out one possibility.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TheSport78;3276232 said:
Dude, lots of scenarios could happen. Maybe Brewster isn't active on gameday but we draft a C/G OL in the draft who is active. I was naming the 8 OL who should be on the squad by September. No one knows who's going to be active or inactive on gameday in FEBRUARY. I was just throwing out one possibility.

fail_20at_20failing.jpg

Duuuude!!! You still have to have a backup center...

TheSport78

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3276237 said:
fail_20at_20failing.jpg

Duuuude!!! You still have to have a backup center...

Draft one. Wouldn't be surprised if we carry 9 OL at times next year. Our OL depth is the pits. We'll draft a G/C combo in the late rounds to knock Proctor off the team.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Alexander;3275348 said:
Agreed.

Whatever lineman we draft will have to be versatile.

Center/Guard, Guard/Tackle.

I keep reading projections of Bruce Campbell and the like. I do not see us going that route. Free's development was key to the tackle situation and I have no doubt we try to milk yet another year out of Adams and a couple out of Colombo who just extended. The other issue is Kosier, who will be entering his final year of his free agent contract. That's why we are probably more intrigued by Iupati. Ducasse would be another option as he could play guard and flip to tackle, much like how we have used McQuistan. As for center, well, you know we cannot break up the band.

Break it up, break it up, now. :mad: