Drafting an offensive tackle early, likely won't happen

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I know everyone seems to be giving us one early in mocks, but imo, I think there's a good chance we don't draft one at all.

Couple things Jerry has said
- He definately dismissed the notion that Doug Free would start at either OT spot in 2010 (or atleast the beggining of the season).
- He does however see Free as a future starter

And add in the coaching staff likes the potential of Robert Brewster at RT and we have our four OTs.

Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo will be the starters, Doug Free is the swing tackle and Robert Brewster is the developmental player.

I know a lot of people want Flozell replaced, but you have to realize that the coaching staff or atleast Jerry feel Flo's the best option for right now, and that likely won't change before the draft, so there's little incentive to draft a tackle at all. No rookie will unseat Flo or Colombo, we already have a guy capable of starting for multiple games and we have a player (last years 4th round pick) in development.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i agree with you but if one of the top tackles is there at 27 then you have to take him,no need to reach for a 2nd tier tackle though.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You also have to take into account that he also said during he season that O-Line Depth was an issue. So just because he has Free and Brewster it does not mean we will not draft an O-Lineman and even possibly early as he has been on record as saying depth is a concern. We also have to think that it would be wise to draft one (or more) as current depth but hopeful future starters.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3275343 said:
You also have to take into account that he also said during he season that O-Line Depth was an issue. So just because he has Free and Brewster it does not mean we will not draft an O-Lineman and even possibly early as he has been on record as saying depth is a concern. We also have to think that it would be wise to draft one (or more) as current depth but hopeful future starters.

I completely agree, I'm all in favor of drafting Iupati if he's available in the first, or trading down and drafting Pouncey or Ducassee if Iupati is gone.

I just think we need depth in the interior of our line, not so much on the outside.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3275344 said:
I completely agree, I'm all in favor of drafting Iupati if he's available in the first, or trading down and drafting Pouncey or Ducassee if Iupati is gone.

I just think we need depth in the interior of our line, not so much on the outside.
Agreed.

Whatever lineman we draft will have to be versatile.

Center/Guard, Guard/Tackle.

I keep reading projections of Bruce Campbell and the like. I do not see us going that route. Free's development was key to the tackle situation and I have no doubt we try to milk yet another year out of Adams and a couple out of Colombo who just extended. The other issue is Kosier, who will be entering his final year of his free agent contract. That's why we are probably more intrigued by Iupati. Ducasse would be another option as he could play guard and flip to tackle, much like how we have used McQuistan. As for center, well, you know we cannot break up the band.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Brewster has tackle ability, but he was also projected to be a good guard coming out of college. He has good quickness to get to the outside in pulling situations. If they draft a pure tackle, then it means that they plan on moving Brewster to the inside full-time. Either way, it is a good situation for the future of the offensive line.

VACowboy

Reaction score
IMHO, the #1 OL priority is replacing Procter. We need a backup center with the ability to play guard and develop into Gurode's eventual successor.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
VACowboy;3275384 said:
IMHO, the #1 OL priority is replacing Procter. We need a backup center with the ability to play guard and develop into Gurode's eventual successor.
Which is why I'm all over Pouncey.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmishCowboy;3275394 said:
Which is why I'm all over Pouncey.

So would you say you would pounce or would be pouncing on pouncey?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
If Flozell and Colombo are the starters in 2010, expect another season without the Lombardi Trophy.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78;3275488 said:
If Flozell and Colombo are the starters in 2010, expect another season without the Lombardi Trophy.

Would you say the same if you are having Free on one side and a rookie from last year or this year on the other side?

Just curious as if your parameters of getting a Lombardi for next year are contingent on the Left and Right tackle than it must mean you think who ever replaces the Flo and Columbo would mean going to and winning a superbowl...in which case I would say, that is kind of silly hinging the bet on a rookie or a second year player that might as well be a rookie and a guy that has only played a game or so at left tackle.

But then again...keep up with the great work you are providing.;)

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3275507 said:
Would you say the same if you are having Free on one side and a rookie from last year or this year on the other side?

Just curious as if your parameters of getting a Lombardi for next year are contingent on the Left and Right tackle than it must mean you think who ever replaces the Flo and Columbo would mean going to and winning a superbowl...in which case I would say, that is kind of silly hinging the bet on a rookie or a second year player that might as well be a rookie and a guy that has only played a game or so at left tackle.

But then again...keep up with the great work you are providing.;)

Not sure what you're talking about? All I said was if Flozell AND Colombo are our bookend OT's, we will not win the Super Bowl. I actually want Free to start at RT next season and have Flozell at LT for one more season. Hopefully Dallas will draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, groom them and have him learn behind Flozell and Colombo for a year. Then the organization will make a decision with Free (LT or RT) and the groomed draft choice (LT or RT) for 2011.

I'm almost positive you watched the Minnesota game, and the #1 reason Dallas lost was not being able to block on the edges. Sure, we can get away with it in the regular season against sub-par defenses, but in the playoffs you're going to be playing very good or elite defenses. Dallas was exposed to what it was able to hide the entire season: we have a mediocre OL, especially on the edges. I would love it if we draft Iupati and Ducasse. Have Iupati compete with Kosier this year, while grooming Ducasse to play RT (most likely) in 2011. Brewster will probably compete at OG.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78;3275553 said:
Not sure what you're talking about? All I said was if Flozell AND Colombo are our bookend OT's, we will not win the Super Bowl. I actually want Free to start at RT next season and have Flozell at LT for one more season. Hopefully Dallas will draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round, groom them and have him learn behind Flozell and Colombo for a year. Then the organization will make a decision with Free (LT or RT) and the groomed draft choice (LT or RT) for 2011.

I'm almost positive you watched the Minnesota game, and the #1 reason Dallas lost was not being able to block on the edges. Sure, we can get away with it in the regular season against sub-par defenses, but in the playoffs you're going to be playing very good or elite defenses. Dallas was exposed to what it was able to hide the entire season: we have a mediocre OL, especially on the edges. I would love it if we draft Iupati and Ducasse. Have Iupati compete with Kosier this year, while grooming Ducasse to play RT (most likely) in 2011. Brewster will probably compete at OG.

So you just want Columbo gone.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
VACowboy;3275384 said:

I agree but if you look at the depth chart, Duke Preston is listed as the backup center. They have Proctor as RG backing up Bigg..

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_depthChart.cfm

TheSport78;3275553 said:

We gave up more pressure from the middle than either side. I like Free on the rt but I just don't think he's the guy for the left. I hope we trade up for a LT because I'm just not convinced Flo will give us a full season anymore...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Well if the rumours of Unger being targeted by Jerry and co last year are true I fully expect Pouncey to be the guy they target this year. He is a big interior lineman, close to being NFL ready and versatile.

Noryb

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3275657 said:
Well if the rumours of Unger being targeted by Jerry and co last year are true I fully expect Pouncey to be the guy they target this year. He is a big interior lineman, close to being NFL ready and versatile.

Is Pouncey capable of playing guard, especially LG?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheSport78;3275488 said:
So we are going to win it with Free and a rookie?