Russell, round 4
Collins, round 3
Tapper, round 4
Taco, round 1
Ivie, round 7
Carrell, round 7
Armstrong, round 4

All but Crawford selected since Rod came here
How many has he "coached up". I'd hesitate to say none....well Lawrence but other than that?????

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Crawford, Round 3
Lawrence, round 2
Gardner, round 7
Bishop, round 7
Gregory, round 2
Russell, round 4
Collins, round 3
Tapper, round 4
Taco, round 1
Ivie, round 7
Carrell, round 7
Armstrong, round 4

How many has he "coached up". I'd hesitate to say none....well Lawrence but other than that?????
Your right. Lawerence is the only guy I can think of that Rod help develop.

Knotamus

Reaction score
The title of this thread is misleading and so is the message. I thought I was going to read something informative ab our DL and/or our recent DL additions, instead it seems it’s a thread to throw shade at Marinelli with misleading information.

Rod is one of the most respected DL coaches in the league, so let me shed light. I’m OK with folks that disagree and/or still don’t like Rod, but let’s not act like he’s a bad coach bc the Players have openly said otherwise.

To be fair, I’ll exclude the four 7th round picks. The fact is, the success rate from the 5th Rd or later is 24%. That percentage drops significantly for 7th rounders. To include these picks to judge a coach is misleading. I suppose all coaches have problems “coaching up” late round players..right?

That left 3 premium picks and a handful of middle RD picks..

Taco, rd 1 (presently considered a bust..is this Rod, or is this Tacos immaturity holding him back?)
Lawrence, rd 2 (took 3y, became one of the best at his position under Rod)
Gregory, rd 2 (everyone knows this is self inflicted)

Crawford, rd 3 (position flex has stunted his potential, but is reliable & productive)
Russell, rd 5 (was on 3 different teams & now not in the league.. could say, he just wasn’t NFL material)
Collins, rd 3 (has been good, but injuries set him back)
Tapper, rd 4 (bust)
Armstrong, rd 4 (still too early to judge)

Now let’s include players that have been successful under Rod that weren’t top draft picks, but low cost FA.

Antwaun Woods
David Irving
Terrell McClain
Jack Crawford
Benson Mayowa
George Selvie
Jeremy Mincey

Marinelli has done a lot with what he’s had to work with in the past. Dallas is actually given him the highest DT draft pick since he’s been here with Tristen Hill. This is more surprising to me, since Marinelli has stated that the 3T is the most important position on his defense.
At the end of the day I personally believe, the players fortitude and talent is more indicative of their own successes. As much as things change at the NFL level, coach’s don’t have the time to baby along players. Character evaluations are just as important as the physical talent. That said, Marinelli has proven he can ‘Coach up’ the players that want to be coached.

Last edited:

Fredbeard

Reaction score
The title of this thread is misleading and so is the message. I thought I was going to read something informative ab our DL and/or our recent DL additions, instead it seems it’s a thread to throw shade at Marinelli with misleading information.

Rod is one of the most respected DL coaches in the league, so let me shed light. I’m OK with folks that disagree and/or still don’t like Rod, but let’s not act like he’s a bad coach bc the Players have openly said otherwise.

To be fair, I’ll exclude the four 7th round picks. The fact is, the success rate from the 5th Rd or later is 24%. That percentage drops significantly for 7th rounders. To include these picks to judge a coach is misleading. I suppose all coaches have problems “coaching up” late round players..right?

That left 3 premium picks and a handful of middle RD picks..

Taco, rd 1 (presently considered a bust..is this Rod, or is this Tacos immaturity holding him back?)
Lawrence, rd 2 (took 3y, became one of the best at his position under Rod)
Gregory, rd 2 (everyone knows this is self inflicted)

Crawford, rd 3 (position flex has stunted his potential, but is reliable & productive)
Russell, rd 5 (was on 3 different teams & now not in the league.. could say, he just wasn’t NFL material)
Collins, rd 3 (has been good, but injuries set him back)
Tapper, rd 4 (bust)
Armstrong, rd 4 (still too early to judge)

Now let’s include players that have been successful under Rod that weren’t top draft picks, but low cost FA.

Antwaun Woods
David Irving
Terrell McClain
Jack Crawford
Benson Mayowa
George Selvie
Jeremy Mincey

Marinelli has done a lot with what he’s had to work with in the past. Dallas is actually given him the highest DT draft pick since he’s been here with Tristen Hill. This is more surprising to me, since Marinelli has stated that the 3T is the most important position on his defense.
At the end of the day I personally believe, the players fortitude and talent is more indicative of their own successes. As much as things change at the NFL level, coach’s don’t have the time to baby along players. Character evaluations are just as important as the physical talent. That said, Marinelli has proven he can ‘Coach up’ the players that want to be coached.
I'm sorry but if you going to talk about guys like Terrell mcclain and David Irving shouldn't you also include guys who didn't work out like brian price or Richard ash.i agree everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't mind people who like rod.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I feel Rod isn't a magic worker like most seem to think. He needs something to work with like most coaches, proof by the lack of success from later round picks on his watch.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Crawford, Round 3
Lawrence, round 2
Gardner, round 7
Bishop, round 7
Gregory, round 2
Russell, round 4
Collins, round 3
Tapper, round 4
Taco, round 1
Ivie, round 7
Carrell, round 7
Armstrong, round 4

Gardner, Bishop, Ivie, Carrell as 7th round picks, hard to expect much. Literally anything you get from them exceeds expectations.

Collins, Tapper, and Gregory can't stay on the field and healthy.

Armstrong is a sophomore so the jury is still out.

Crawford has hit his ceiling. DLaw is a top DE. Taco has been a bust. I can't remember the first thing about Russell.

Some of these you'd like to have seen more from and maybe Rod is to blame for that. Then again, maybe Taco is just a bum, maybe 7th round picks are 7th round picks for a reason.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I feel Rod isn't a magic worker like most seem to think. He needs something to work with like most coaches, proof by the lack of success from later round picks on his watch.

Yeah. He's a good coach but he's no miracle worker.

The thing I'll remember about Rod is that we had one of the worst defenses of all time in 2013 and on average we've improved each year and are now a top unit. He's often done it without having much to work with at any given time. He also cultivated strong programs in TB, CHI, DET.

This board just likes to pick a target and create a chorus of angry voices, just like any other social media. If enough people repeat a narrative, it starts to stick.

Here come the "did you see the playoff game? Rod's DTs blew it!" responses but meh, half the people parroting that are also whining about drafting the 2nd round DT. They're just angry and pointing it somewhere.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gardner, Bishop, Ivie, Carrell as 7th round picks, hard to expect much. Literally anything you get from them exceeds expectations.

Collins, Tapper, and Gregory can't stay on the field and healthy.

Armstrong is a sophomore so the jury is still out.

Crawford has hit his ceiling. DLaw is a top DE. Taco has been a bust. I can't remember the first thing about Russell.

Some of these you'd like to have seen more from and maybe Rod is to blame for that. Then again, maybe Taco is just a bum, maybe 7th round picks are 7th round picks for a reason.
That's all fine. My real point here is that rod Marinelli is not some genius that can turn chicken sugar into chicken salad. Just like all coaches he needs talent. The mythical status needs to stop right now....

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
That's all fine. My real point here is that rod Marinelli is not some genius that can turn chicken sugar into chicken salad. Just like all coaches he needs talent. The mythical status needs to stop right now....

Rod Marinelli is going to be in the HoF discussion as a DC one day, and whether or not he got a 7th round pick into the pro bowl while rebuilding this defense is going to be irrelevant.

He's built multiple championship caliber defenses, him and the other coaches in TB innovated on a 4-3 system that was going stale and revitalized it, he's won a SB. I dont think he makes the HoF but he'll be in the conversation.