Drafting O-Linemen in the1st Round

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Well this is very true take into account lot of our picks are coming in the bottom ten of all rounds including the first where other teams are hitting on like the top tackles and whatnot it's always seems to be in the top 15 not the bottom 10 therefore they have a better shot the Cowboys are doing really well when they're picking these guys lower in the first round they're trading down and still getting their guys. I mean go count how many offensive lineman at those positions like this year how many tackles or offensive lineman went before in years past how many went before Tyler Smith who was really not on many people's radar at all so that's why it's more impressive...
Yeah it really seems to be the best value of the first round historically. Compare that to DL which seems to be one of the higher bust rates towards the end of the first round, which is where most of the Cowboys issues have come. This is why I think the Cowboys have drafted well more often than not over the last decade. They look foolish at times but overall I think they have a good understanding of positional value by round. Where they get into trouble is when they go into the draft having to land a specific position early....especially if that position is not OL

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn't realize it but from 1992 to 2000 the Cowboys did not use a single 1st round pick on the OL. But they found Ron Stone (1993), Larry Allen (1994), Flozell Adams (1998) in rounds 4, 2, 2 respectively. Erik Willliams was drafted in 1991 in the 3rd round.

In any case, the Cowboys have just been good drafting the the first round. We like to focus on the negatives, like Taco, but since 2000 the Cowboys have had 22 1st round draft picks, including Guyton, and 14 have made a pro-bowl. That is a phenomenally high success rate.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
One day we really need to stop with the pro-bowl. Last year we had 10 pro bowl players. Green Bay had 1. Our team was not even in the same league as them. They literally had to take their non pro bowl players out of the game they were beating up on our pro bowl players so bad.

There is nothing in the world that means less than a Dallas Cowboy making the pro bowl.

plasticman

Reaction score
By almost every metric OL picks early in the draft have the highest success rate. It’s the only position group picked in the first round that consistently sees over 50% of players getting second contracts with the team that drafted them. All pro and pro bowl rates are typically right up towards the top with first round OL picks. I think only RB is higher but that’s a position where you really only see elite level guys selected.

Take that info for whatever it’s worth. Some people will say it’s easy to find OL prospects so you shouldn’t use a first rounder on them for that reason. Other would say OL is a great target for a team like the cowboys picking towards the end of the first round consistently because they can hit on those picks pretty consistently and avoid the day one busts.
I would submit that the Cowboys have an ability beyond most others when it comes to evaluating top O-line talent.

The majority of NFL teams have an average draft position from slightly to far higher than the Cowboys. Therefore, their O-linemen should be at least as successful.

The earlier in the draft....?

Actually, Tyron Smith is the only Cowboys lineman drafted in the top 10. He was #9 . Martin was #16 overall, Tyler was #24 and Frederick #31.

Since 2000, there have been 25 tackles drafted higher than Tyron, 18 guards drafted higher than Zack, 14 centers drafted higher than Fredericks, and 106 OL drafted higher than Tyler.

Two of the 25 tackles drafted higher than Tyron has more Pro Bowls, no guard drafted higher than Zack has more Pro Bowls, three centers drafted higher than Fredericks have more Pro Bowls than his shortened career, 16 of the 106 OL drafted higher than Tyler Smith made the Pro Bowl within their first two seasons.

These are the results that should belong to top 5 picks but the Cowboys ran the table with an average of 20th overall pick.

That is an average of the 20th pick in each of those drafts.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Even Conner Williams and Conner McGovern were good pics. I don't think they were used properly in Dallas..

MikeT22

Reaction score
Until Tyron in 2011, Jerry had never picked a OL in the first rd. LA and the Hotel were both second rd picks.
So it is 5 for us in 14 Drafts
Yeah we routinely drafted OL in the 2nd - 3rd rounds with great success.
Then starting around 2000 we went a decade where we couldn’t hit on any OL in those rounds or later.

It got so bad we finally decided to take Tyron in the first. After that success we stuck with it since we still have marginal to no success drafting OL later.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
This may come as a surprise to some but, since 2000, the Cowboys have drafted O-linemen in the 1st round at a rate that is equal to the average NFL team. The average NFL team drafted four O-linemen in the 1st round between 2000 and 2023. In fact, there are around a half dozen NFL teams that have drafted more O-linemen in the 1st round than the Cowboys.

However, what makes the Cowboys stand out among the rest is that they have batted 1.000, a perfect score. That is to say, all four players have been Pro Bowl selections, three of them multiple times. Three of them have been 1st team All Pro.

I would say that bodes well for the Cowboys most recent 1st round draft pick, Tyler Guyton.
Well, keep in mind that it is far FAR easier to draft probowl guards and centers in RD1 than tackles.

Guards and centers aren't nearly as valuable, therefore many teams wouldn't even consider spending a 1st rounder on a C or G. Every year, there's a few G's and Cs that are absolutely one of the top 20 or so players in ability, but like RBs, teams just aren't going to spend high picks on them. There's little competition for them, so if ur willing to spend a RD1 pick on one, it's pretty easy to get a highly rated prospect there.

Tackles, on the other hand, are in very high demand. So unless you have a Top 10 pick, your often just rolling the dice hoping you'll find the 1 guy out of 5 that hits out of a group of 2nd or 3rd tier guys, which is exactly where we got Guyton from

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Tyron was a bit of a reach. Hey, sometimes reaches pan out.

Looking at everything about Guyton, I'd conclude that his bust possibility is exceedingly low. He could easily turn out to be the best OL in this draft.
IMO, his bust potential (compared to many other Rd1 guys) is very high. Of ALL the rd1 OL guys, he's the LEAST ready to start this year.

But....as you mentioned, his ceiling is as high as anyone's.

I think he'll either be a pro bowl player in 4 or 5 years, or out of the league in 4 or 5 years

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This FO does not frickin' miss on early round OL.

Tyron Smith - Hall of Famer
Frederick - 5x Pro Bowler, would have been a Hall of Famer if not for Gullein-Barre.
Zack Martin - Hall of Famer
Connor Williams - he was always a whipping boy here, but he played at an All-Pro level at C for the Dolphins
Tyler Smith - All-Pro

Now as a Youtube scout, I don't like Guyton. But this FO gets paid a few million more than I do, and their track record is impeccable. They don't just draft good linemen, they draft outrageously good linemen.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The athleticism is off the charts, but the laziness scares me. I saw him on the ground a lot in the tape I watched.
When I watched him live in games (and I did watch some OU games just to see him), he did have a sluggish kind of look about him. But that might just be one of those things where he kinda looks slow and mopey, but if u were on the field with him you'd be surprised how quick he was really moving.

That's said, every report on him is that he's a very hard worker, super coach able, and very well respected by coaches and teammates. Lazy guys aren't respected like that by coaches/players

Reaction score
This may come as a surprise to some but, since 2000, the Cowboys have drafted O-linemen in the 1st round at a rate that is equal to the average NFL team. The average NFL team drafted four O-linemen in the 1st round between 2000 and 2023. In fact, there are around a half dozen NFL teams that have drafted more O-linemen in the 1st round than the Cowboys.

However, what makes the Cowboys stand out among the rest is that they have batted 1.000, a perfect score. That is to say, all four players have been Pro Bowl selections, three of them multiple times. Three of them have been 1st team All Pro.

I would say that bodes well for the Cowboys most recent 1st round draft pick, Tyler Guyton.

I would submit that the Cowboys have an ability beyond most others when it comes to evaluating top O-line talent.

The majority of NFL teams have an average draft position from slightly to far higher than the Cowboys. Therefore, their O-linemen should be at least as successful.

The earlier in the draft....?

Actually, Tyron Smith is the only Cowboys lineman drafted in the top 10. He was #9 . Martin was #16 overall, Tyler was #24 and Frederick #31.

Since 2000, there have been 25 tackles drafted higher than Tyron, 18 guards drafted higher than Zack, 14 centers drafted higher than Fredericks, and 106 OL drafted higher than Tyler.

Two of the 25 tackles drafted higher than Tyron has more Pro Bowls, no guard drafted higher than Zack has more Pro Bowls, three centers drafted higher than Fredericks have more Pro Bowls than his shortened career, 16 of the 106 OL drafted higher than Tyler Smith made the Pro Bowl within their first two seasons.

These are the results that should belong to top 5 picks but the Cowboys ran the table with an average of 20th overall pick.

That is an average of the 20th pick in each of those drafts.
I'd love to see that list of teams for comparison if you have it.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

Tony Mandarich has entered the chat.
You can add the Eagles, and some of their O draft picks in the first round. Horrific. I was surprised to see the success of Lane Johnson considering their track record. However had great success later in the draft.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Do a breakdown rate comparison of all teams drafting Olinemen in the 1st round starting in 2012 through 2024. I bet the Cowboys are at the top.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Let's hope so. As much as I dislike Jerry, I will admit the The Cowboy's front office has done a great job on drafting O-lineman over the last 10 years. Two sure hall of famers drafted over the last decade. Would have had three if not for sickness.
I wish they had also done an equally great job of drafting D-linemen over the last 10 years.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Keep doing what you do well my friend, we are figuring it out.
2024 represents flash is trash,, and we dove into our trenches in this draft heavy and I appreciate the recognition to move in the right direction at least.
Its been a while my friends.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And have a big fat 0 to show for all those # 1 picks on offlineman!!!!
You draft Playmakers with your top round picks, not offlineman who should be taken in the later rounds and coached up!
Total WASTE in our case the last 10 years!!!

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I wish they had also done an equally great job of drafting D-linemen over the last 10 years.
I concur. Jerry and Co. have never drafted one elite defensive tackle in his 30 year regime. Failure after failure. Yet Jimmy was able hit on multiple successful dline man in a few drafts.

It is why the Cowboys run defense has been cursed for decades now.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
By almost every metric OL picks early in the draft have the highest success rate. It’s the only position group picked in the first round that consistently sees over 50% of players getting second contracts with the team that drafted them. All pro and pro bowl rates are typically right up towards the top with first round OL picks. I think only RB is higher but that’s a position where you really only see elite level guys selected.

Take that info for whatever it’s worth. Some people will say it’s easy to find OL prospects so you shouldn’t use a first rounder on them for that reason. Other would say OL is a great target for a team like the cowboys picking towards the end of the first round consistently because they can hit on those picks pretty consistently and avoid the day one busts.
This. It's just smart when you're picking down the line. Still enough talent around when the skill positions have been raked of talent.

We really do need a tanking season in order to find a franchise QB in the draft. I mean these days teams seem to draft QBs high even when they just signed a veteran to a heavy deal. Everyone's after these guys.

The problem with the Cowboys mediocrity is, while you're never really at the top, you're also never near the bottom.

We do need another '88 Season to kick things off.