Drats, McGee might be gone before we draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
One of our long time, inside sources tells us Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee could be rising fast as draft weekend nears:

"Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee is very likely to be the 1st senior quarterback selected in the upcoming N.F.L. draft. He had arguably the strongest showing of all the quarterbacks who participated at the N.F.L. Combine, throwing the ball very well while recording the second fastest forty time (4.61) at his position behind only Pat White of West Virginia. McGee, who has drawn comparisions to Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, is an intriguing prospect due to the fact that he is considered a drop back passer with tremendous speed. He is also a dynamic athlete that can give a team a great look in the Wildcat formation.

McGee was one of the most highly touted quarterbacks in the nation coming out of high school. During his junior and senior seasons, he combined for 81 TD's and 3 Int's while leading his team to back to back state championship appearances. The 6-3, 225-pounder flew under the radar during his time at Texas A&M. While his statistics under former head coach Dennis Franchione were solid enough to earn N.F.L. attention (60 percent completion rate for 4,606 yards and a 24-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio), he was a bit overlooked thanks to Franchione's read-option offense.

Prior to McGee's senior year, former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman was named coach at A&M. Many N.F.L. scouts expected a big season from Stephen, but a shoulder injury limited him to three starts. Following a great week of practice at the East-West game, scouts came away impressed with his development. The fast rising quarterback had every team but one in attendance at his Pro Day and has had over 20 teams visit with him at College Station this season.

For the last two decades, college quarterbacks who played through their senior season have had more success than their early-entrant counterparts. Since 1998, for example, there have been 11 early-entry quarterbacks drafted by N.F.L. teams, but only three are currently starting: Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and JaMarcus Russell".

DFWJC

Reaction score
Before we draft when? 2nd round? No chance 6th round? likely

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I think we'll draft one late, someone like Tom Brandstater, who we are said to have visited with.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2729193 said:
I think we'll draft one late, someone like Tom Brandstater, who we are said to have visited with.

yeah but brandstater i believe had a back back;

i was hoping we could get mcgee like in the 4th round, but the way the article read, he is going in the 3rd at least, if not earlier

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling that McGee is Denver's QB of the future, which means he'll be gone before the Cowboys start looking for a developmental quarterback.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
stasheroo;2729252 said:
I have a feeling that McGee is Denver's QB of the future, which means he'll be gone before the Cowboys start looking for a developmental quarterback.

yeah hte way goose gooselin said today, this draft is poor, and teams will reach for players 10 to 15 picks before they should for need

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think Bomar goes before McGee, and Bomar is a 3rd-4th rounder. Dallas should not take a developmental QB before the 4th round. Dallas has 3 5th rounders, that would be the better time to make a selection for that position if the value is there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BAT;2729630 said:
I think Bomar goes before McGee, and Bomar is a 3rd-4th rounder. Dallas should not take a developmental QB before the 4th round. Dallas has 3 5th rounders, that would be the better time to make a selection for that position if the value is there.

I agree..........

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Where did this "inside" info come from Joe?

Just wondering....