Drew Brees could become a free agent

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
They just mentioned on ESPN that there is a chance that Drew Brees could be a free agent as there not gonna i believe Franchise him as it would cost them a little more than $9 million and would eat up all their cap room. I know that there is concerns because of the injury to his arm but he would be great if healthy and i would sign him up. What do ya think?

BTW they have to decide by Thursday if they are gonna keep him

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
They just mentioned on ESPN that there is a chance that Drew Brees could be a free agent as there not gonna i believe Franchise him as it would cost them a little more than $9 million and would eat up all their cap room. I know that there is concerns because of the injury to his arm but he would be great if healthy and i would sign him up. What do ya think?

BTW they have to decide by Thursday if they are gonna keep him

I hightly doubt that Parcells goes after Brees. Bledsoe is his homeboy, and there are more pressing issues to deal with as of now. Brees isn't THAT much better than Bledsoe and he won't be great on his back a la Bledsoe...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You don't make any progress by having a different QB every year. We have a QB that we are building around -- get used to it.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
abersonc said:
You don't make any progress by having a different QB every year. We have a QB that we are building around -- get used to it.
Yet get used to what at the max 3 years of bledsoe, yeah thats someone you build around :rolleyes:

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
I hightly doubt that Parcells goes after Brees. Bledsoe is his homeboy, and there are more pressing issues to deal with as of now. Brees isn't THAT much better than Bledsoe and he won't be great on his back a la Bledsoe...

Brees isn't better than Bledsoe, and yes no way Parcells brings this clown in here. Brees is only as good as LT and Gates make him look.:cool:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
abersonc said:

you don't build around a retread vet - you plan 1 more shot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
Yet get used to what at the max 3 years of bledsoe, yeah thats someone you build around :rolleyes:

You can't keep switching QBs -- continuity wins superbowls.

Instead you want to build around a guy with a serious shoulder injury? Brilliant.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:

Bledsoe was brought here to win NOW, if you want to play for the future and condede to rebuilding that bring in one of these other bums.

Personally I think I'd rather contend for a championship the next few years with a proven leader and savvy veteran.:bow:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
iceberg said:

I think you misinterpreted my statement - we are building our team (our O at least) to best match Bledsoe's skills. You can't do that effectively if you keep changing QBs.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Bledsoe was brought here to win NOW, if you want to play for the future and condede to rebuilding that bring in one of these other bums.

Personally I think I'd rather contend for a championship the next few years with a proven leader and savvy veteran.

great. i hope we get one then.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Instead you want to build around a guy with a serious shoulder injury? Brilliant.
there has been nothing said to suggest that he won't heal, and well it looks like we won't be winning Superbowls as it isn't gonna be long until Bledsoe retires and who's to say he isn't released before if he struggles like he did in Buffalo

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Brees isn't better than Bledsoe, and yes no way Parcells brings this clown in here. Brees is only as good as LT and Gates make him look.:cool:

Yes he is......

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The only advantage Brees has is mobility. He's much smaller, less durable, has a weaker arm, and is injury prone. Mobility is great but if can't do the other things as well he's not worth it.

ghst187

Reaction score
here we go again.....ho hum...I still can't believe how many pages daunte (more turnovers than Bledsoe in a shorter time, catastrophic knee injury, not so good without the best WR in the game) culpepper incited here.
is Ryan Leaf available? Jeff George, Randall Cuningham...maybe Troy Aikman wants to make a comeback.
Let's start 50 threads and argue that we should bring in (insert name of any QB) high priced QB who isn't better than Bledsoe anyway...
How bout Quincy Carter as backup....I'm sure we can get him to give up the coke and play backup and....
give it a rest, Whether everyone wants to or not, we're going with Bledsoe for now and we're not spending a bunch of money on a position on which our roster is already full.
Let's see if Henson does anything in Europe, whether or not we keep Romo, and how Bledsoe plays next year before we entertain a new QB.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
there has been nothing said to suggest that he won't heal, and well it looks like we won't be winning Superbowls as it isn't gonna be long until Bledsoe retires and who's to say he isn't released before if he struggles like he did in Buffalo

Bledsoe will only struggle if the line sucks - give him decent -- not great but decent blocking -- and you've got a stone cold killer at QB.

Skeptic

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Yeah.

He has a dominant TIGHT END.

McCardell is clearly past his prime.

I think you have to have a little more than a Probowl TE to put up the passing numbers he has.

I for one think that we'd be insane not to take a look at the guy...already made the Probowl and is on the good side of 30.

How long do you think Bledsoe is going to be around anyways?

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Skeptic said:
Yeah.

He has a dominant TIGHT END.

McCardell is clearly past his prime.

I think you have to have a little more than a Probowl TE to put up the passing numbers he has.

I for one think that we'd be insane not to take a look at the guy...already made the Probowl and is on the good side of 30.

Thats the biggest reason why i would support getting Brees here as he would be around quite a long time compared to Bledsoe maybe 2 and if were lucky 3 years. I'm not really knocking Bledsoe as he did good when we gave him time (although still takes a lot of sacks even if protected) but he just isn't gonna be around too long and then were in the same situation we have since Aikman retired, no QB

Eskimo

Reaction score
I don't think Brees is a big upgrade over Bledsoe. On top of that he is more expensive and is coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder. I say just stay the course for now - improving the OL and fixing the SOLB and FS slots should pay huge dividends.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Skeptic said:

Bledsoe almost seems indestructible to me - look how long he's been in the league and look how few nicks he has on him despite the number of hits he takes. He could be around for awhile if he continues at this level of play. Fixing the RT position would result in a huge improvement in Bledsoe's number, IMO. There were several times last year when Petitti was little more than a pylon for the DE to run around.