Drew Brees could become a free agent

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
you don't build around a retread vet - you plan 1 more shot.

Frankly-it all starts up front-that's where you build around on.

Pt being that Parcells and Gibbs wouldn't have a finger-full of Super Bowls between them without those big, nasty OLs in NY and DC.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Da Hammer said:
Thats the biggest reason why i would support getting Brees here as he would be around quite a long time compared to Bledsoe maybe 2 and if were lucky 3 years.

I don't think it is smart to think assume that Brees is going to be around longer than Bledsoe. Having shoulder surgery on your throwing side is not a good sign for a QB -- see Chad Pennington

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't think it is smart to think assume that Brees is going to be around longer than Bledsoe. Having shoulder surgery on your throwing side is not a good sign for a QB -- see Chad Pennington

Honestly, I really don't get all the negativity with Bledsoe.

Bledsoe is no different from any other QB in this league-they're only as good as their supporting cast.

If we had Brees last year, Tucker and Pettiti would have sent him to a hospital. Plus we had no LT to boot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Honestly, I really don't get all the negativity with Bledsoe.

Bledsoe is no different from any other QB in this league-they're only as good as their supporting cast.

If we had Brees last year, Tucker and Pettiti would have sent him to a hospital. Plus we had no LT to boot.

I'm with you on that. When we protected Drew -- and I'm not talking about all day to throw protection -- I'm talking about being able to drop back 5 steps and set without a guy already on him -- he was very very good. In fact, you give him that protection and he can be one of the top 10 guys in the league -- and that was what he was before the line totally collapsed.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'm with you on that. When we protected Drew -- and I'm not talking about all day to throw protection -- I'm talking about being able to drop back 5 steps and set without a guy already on him -- he was very very good. In fact, you give him that protection and he can be one of the top 10 guys in the league -- and that was what he was before the line totally collapsed.

Yep. Just imagine if Theisman spent his career in The Big Easy. Or imagine if Mark Rypien didn't have the Hogs watching his move.

Had a conversation with my dad why the Mannings and Marinos of this world never get a chance at the big dance, but why alot of journeymen QBs like D. Williams, Warner, Rypien, Brad Johnson, etc got a big taste of it-'cuz they HAD the supporting cast around them.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
things that wont happen:

the Cowboys wont SIGN a free agent QB

and

the Cowboys wont DRAFT a QB

I know this is hard for some to grasp, but Bledsoe isnt holding this team back...the backup QB's are not holding this team back

a bad OL, a bad kicker and a defense which cant finish games ARE whats holding this team back however...signing or drafting a QB does nothing to fix any of those problems

David

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
things that wont happen:

the Cowboys wont SIGN a free agent QB

and

the Cowboys wont DRAFT a QB

I know this is hard for some to grasp, but Bledsoe isnt holding this team back...the backup QB's are not holding this team back

a bad OL, a bad kicker and a defense which cant finish games ARE whats holding this team back however...signing or drafting a QB does nothing to fix any of those problems

David
its not so much Bledsoe holding the team back as it is getting a QB that is at the same level as Bledsoe or a bit better and has the potential to be here a long time while Bledsoe if everything goes right will be here at the max 3 years. We don't want to consistently be where we were after Aikman retired with no QB for like 5 years

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Yep. Just imagine if Theisman spent his career in The Big Easy. Or imagine if Mark Rypien didn't have the Hogs watching his move.

Had a conversation with my dad why the Mannings and Marinos of this world never get a chance at the big dance, but why alot of journeymen QBs like D. Williams, Warner, Rypien, Brad Johnson, etc got a big taste of it-'cuz they HAD the supporting cast around them.

That's not true. Marino went to the SB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
here we go again.....ho hum...I still can't believe how many pages daunte (more turnovers than Bledsoe in a shorter time, catastrophic knee injury, not so good without the best WR in the game) culpepper incited here.
is Ryan Leaf available? Jeff George, Randall Cuningham...maybe Troy Aikman wants to make a comeback.
Let's start 50 threads and argue that we should bring in (insert name of any QB) high priced QB who isn't better than Bledsoe anyway...
How bout Quincy Carter as backup....I'm sure we can get him to give up the coke and play backup and....
give it a rest, Whether everyone wants to or not, we're going with Bledsoe for now and we're not spending a bunch of money on a position on which our roster is already full.
Let's see if Henson does anything in Europe, whether or not we keep Romo, and how Bledsoe plays next year before we entertain a new QB.

I am with you here.
I like Bledsoe, Romo, Henson as a QB depth chart.

It may not feature Brady or a top 5 pick as the backup but its got 3 legit QBs IMHO. A far cry from Carter, Wright, Steorner. Or Leaf, Carter, Steorner. Or Hutch, Carter, Steorner.

Brees is not gonna be a free agent if he is anywhere near healthy. Teams simply dont give up young QBs who have pro bowl ability and the Chargers have been shopping Rivers because Brees is their guy long term. Actually at QB franchising is not that bad an idea for a guy with huge contract desires but injury concerns. It would probably take twice the signing bonus of any franchise amount for this season to get a long term deal. What I might do is transition the kid. Insure you get back a 1st rounder at worst and allow yourself a chance to set a market for him so you arent bidding against yourself.