News: Drew Pearson: Dez ‘realizes now that when he comes out of that huddle, he’s the dominant force

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@***BANNED-URL***
3:36 pm on July 1, 2013 | Permalink

Former Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl wide receiver Drew Pearson hasn’t always been a Dez Bryant fan.

But Pearson seems to be buying in to the success Bryant had during the second half of last season.

“Basically, I just think he’s got a complete understating of what he was doing out there as far as his plays were concerned, his assignments, his adjustments to those assignments and those types of things,” Pearson said Monday on the Fitzsimmons and Durrett show on 103.3 KESN-FM. “And in doing that, it gave him a lot of confidence, No.1, but it also gave him a chance now to let his athletic ability and talent take over. I think he realizes now that when he comes out of that huddle, he’s the dominant force, not that defensive back, even though that defensive back might have more experience, he might be an All-Pro, or whatever. The fear now is on the defensive side when they see Dez come out of that huddle.

“I think now he realizes that. He realizes the talent he has, and put that with the fact that now he knows his plays and where to be, then you add the factor that at the end of last season Jason Garrett and Tony Romo both showed a different level of confidence in him because of his progress and his improvement. So that, to me, was the difference. I expect that to be carried over into this season.”

More: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...t-of-that-huddle-hes-the-dominant-force.html/

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think Dez has always been confident in his physical ability to be a "dominant force," the problem was that he depended on it too much. If he has gained an understanding on how to combine his talent with a proper understanding of the offense, he will have a monster year...which I expect.

erod

Reaction score
Dez is reason #1 why keeping Jason Garrett and his offense in place was so critical. Callahan calling the plays is fine, but the offense had to remain.

You don't want to throw a new offense with new terminology at Dez now when he's just getting comfortable.

visionary

Reaction score
Well, he was for awhile... No shame in acknowledging that. But we should stop holding it against folks if they change their mind if the circumstances warrant a change of opinion.

dont agree with you WG

i think drew always was a fan of the potential Dez had, but was not willing to blindly say Dez was great. he just wanted him to grow up and realize that potential (which is what most of us wanted as well)

when Dez did that, Drew is more than happy to give Dez his props

visionary

Reaction score
I think Dez has always been confident in his physical ability to be a "dominant force," the problem was that he depended on it too much. If he has gained an understanding on how to combine his talent with a proper understanding of the offense, he will have a monster year...which I expect.

agree with this

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dont agree with you WG

i think drew always was a fan of the potential Dez had, but was not willing to blindly say Dez was great. he just wanted him to grow up and realize that potential (which is what most of us wanted as well)

Exactly.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dont agree with you WG

It's ok. We can agree to disagree. I think Drew P. is an unrelenting critic even when it didn't warrant it. This isn't about sunshine pumping or whatever term folks around here want to use to describe folks. This is about reading almost everything he says and/or posting 75% of his comments about the team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's ok. We can agree to disagree. I think Drew P. is an unrelenting critic even when it didn't warrant it. This isn't about sunshine pumping or whatever term folks around here want to use to describe folks. This is about reading almost everything he says and/or posting 75% of his comments about the team.
Agreed. There are very few things Drew says that are not critical of this team.

Its possible that he has become just as cynical b/c of how badly they have performed over the past decade or so, but he doesnt have much good to say so its a real surprise when he does.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
who gives a crap what pearson thinks, he was wrong and wont admit it.

visionary

Reaction score

OK
maybe i need to read more of Drew's statements

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just one example:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dez-bryant-isnt-living-up-to-no-88-standards/

He’s [Dez] not living up to the expectations that were placed on him by wearing that number,” Pearson told the Midland Reporter-Telegram. “Drew Pearson took it to the Ring of Honor level and Michael Irvin took it way beyond that to the Hall of Fame level. When Michael and I had a chance to talk to Dez when he came in his rookie year we told him, ‘Don’t do what Drew Pearson did in it. Don’t do what Michael did in it. Do more than that.’ I know that’s a lot to live up to, but what else is there? You live up to those expectations and people will cherish you for the rest of your life.”

Pearson also said the Cowboys’ offense is weaker than he ever remembers it from his days.

“We were never this stagnant,” Pearson said. “Throughout my career we averaged at least 28 points per game and there were seasons we averaged more than 30 points per game.”

Pearson is wrong about that: The Cowboys only averaged 28 or more points a game twice in Pearson’s 11 seasons, and they never averaged 30 points a game. So Pearson may be like a lot of older folks who remember how much better things were back in their day.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dont agree with you WG

Thanks, I was just about to post something along this line.
I think Drew was possibly frustrated with Dez, has the talent but needed to get it focused on the field.
It's just when Drew was critical it came across that he was a hater. As I even thought that at times. But I don't beleive he intended it that way.
He also possibly over looked the fact that most WR's take about 3 years to really "get it".

One person that seemed to be on Dez's side, was Chris Collinsworth, Yes he's had his moments too. But he said on several game broadcasts, he thought Dez would be fine, it was just going to take a little more time. But watch out when he gets it. It was minor youth, immature mistakes, he would be fine.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Well, he was for awhile... No shame in acknowledging that. But we should stop holding it against folks if they change their mind if the circumstances warrant a change of opinion.

I think the point was Drew never was a hater. That term is ridiculous. It's a label to marginalize the message Drew was suggesting.

Drew also said something once about Romo, and the board turned on him to the point there were people suggesting this game had passed him by and he was saying such things because he had it out for Jerry because he was not in the Ring of Honor. He was considered a hater then.

I see no difference in the term hater being bandied around and the word racist tossed out at every turn.

Dez was not living up to potential. Clearly now that he knows his job and has the confidence, he has a shot at being the WR they drafted him to be.

Suddenly Drew knows something.

Well, maybe he knew something all along.

superpunk

Reaction score
dont agree with you WG

Drew just wants his name in the news and the "respect the 88" meme he generated was a good way to do it considering what a lightning rod Dez is.

Contrast that with the way people like Roger and Troy talk when asked about Tony.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the point was Drew never was a hater. That term is ridiculous. It's a label to marginalize the message Drew was suggesting.

Drew also said something once about Romo, and the board turned on him to the point there were people suggesting this game had passed him by and he was saying such things because he had it out for Jerry because he was not in the Ring of Honor. He was considered a hater then.

I see no difference in the term hater being bandied around and the word racist tossed out at every turn.

Dez was not living up to potential. Clearly now that he knows his job and has the confidence, he has a shot at being the WR they drafted him to be.

Suddenly Drew knows something.

Well, maybe he knew something all along.
First of all I hate the term "hater" and cringe whenever it's used. Literally one of the most overused words anywhere..

As for Dez not living up to potential...according to whose expectations? Seems to me he's right on target and was quite productive for someone not living up to potential. Was he messing up? Yep, sure was. To the point, Romo froze him out on more than a few series in a game and rightly so.

But looking at his career in it's totality, he's always been on track for the expectations placed on him THIS year. I think fans have unrealistic expectations of most players and if he doesn't meet them in THEIR timeframe, then the guy's on his way to being a bust.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@***BANNED-URL***
3:36 pm on July 1, 2013 | Permalink

Former Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl wide receiver Drew Pearson hasn’t always been a Dez Bryant fan.

But Pearson seems to be buying in to the success Bryant had during the second half of last season.

“Basically, I just think he’s got a complete understating of what he was doing out there as far as his plays were concerned, his assignments, his adjustments to those assignments and those types of things,” Pearson said Monday on the Fitzsimmons and Durrett show on 103.3 KESN-FM. “And in doing that, it gave him a lot of confidence, No.1, but it also gave him a chance now to let his athletic ability and talent take over. I think he realizes now that when he comes out of that huddle, he’s the dominant force, not that defensive back, even though that defensive back might have more experience, he might be an All-Pro, or whatever. The fear now is on the defensive side when they see Dez come out of that huddle.

“I think now he realizes that. He realizes the talent he has, and put that with the fact that now he knows his plays and where to be, then you add the factor that at the end of last season Jason Garrett and Tony Romo both showed a different level of confidence in him because of his progress and his improvement. So that, to me, was the difference. I expect that to be carried over into this season.”

More: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...t-of-that-huddle-hes-the-dominant-force.html/

Dez has to now carry this over for a full season of good play. That's something he has yet to do, but now can. Once he does that and leads his team through a playoff/championship run, at that point we can say he has lived up to number 88.