Drilling holes in exhaust system

Mannix

Reaction score
Thinking about possibly doing this to my 2006 Silverado. Anyone try this exact method in the video? If so, how many holes, what diameter, and how many inches just prior to the muffler did you drill? I do NOT want to attempt this if its gonna make me fail emmisions or cause any damage....but I'm assuming that if you do it around 6 inches just prior to the muffler, you will have already safely passed the location of the Cat Converter and O2 sensor....correct???

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Thinking about possibly doing this to my 2006 Silverado. Anyone try this exact method in the video? If so, how many holes, what diameter, and how many inches just prior to the muffler did you drill? I do NOT want to attempt this if its gonna make me fail emmisions or cause any damage....but I'm assuming that if you do it around 6 inches just prior to the muffler, you will have already safely passed the location of the Cat Converter and O2 sensor....correct???

Doing this to just make it louder? Waste of time to me. If wanna push the envelope take the converter off, hollow it out and back those .02 sensors out about a 8th or 1/4 inch so they wont be tripped.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It would be a nicer, throatier sound to have dual exhaust put on.

Hardline

Reaction score
I pull the baffles out of the exhaust pipes of all my Harleys.
Makes them VERY loud.

Just be aware that any hole you drill will create a rust spot.
You could just buy a high performance exhaust pipe.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Actually didn't sound as bad as I was expecting, but it's YouTube, who knows if there is any kind of "movie magic" happening there. If you had a new exhaust system lined up, and wanted to try this for fun, by all means go for it. Otherwise, I would say you might be disappointed by the results, and then, you have a ruined exhaust. Just buy an aftermarket exhaust, you'll much happier in the long run.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Any halfway experienced ear will pick out the cheesiness of that sound a mile away. Unless you've done some engine and intake mods it's going to sound like crap in my opinion, and I love the sound of a lightly baffled, pumped up motor singing it's song.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Not in Oklahoma you wouldn't, we haven't had state inspections in years

I knew a few states are like that, but wasn't sure which ones. I'm not sure where the guy who made that video lives, but it's not the US, so he might not have to worry about passing an inspection either.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Depending on the car and engine if enough back pressure is lost you actually lose performance. There is a reason why too big of an exhaust can actually be detrimental, back in the day of Sport Compacts, 3 inch exhaust was usually the cutoff for NA engines with a lot of work, and 3"+ was meant for forced induction cars.