Drinking CAN kill you

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Granted not everyone drinks like this, but the fact remains it can be as dangerous as any intoxicant if you're not careful. Some younger people just don't understand how bad it can be.

I really feel for this girl's family. This is really senseless.

Coed Who Died Consumed 40 Drinks

Friday, September 17, 2004

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — A 19-year-old college student drank up to 40 beers or shots of liquor in an 11-hour period before she was found dead in a fraternity house, investigators said Friday.

Samantha Spady had a blood-alcohol level of 0.436 percent — above the 0.4 percent considered potentially deadly — when her body was found Sept. 6 at the Sigma Pi fraternity house at Colorado State University, Deputy Coroner Dean Beers said.

Spady drank the equivalent of 30 to 40 12-ounce beers or 1-ounce shots of liquor, Beers said, but her death was ruled an accident and there was no evidence of foul play. Spady was found fully clothed, and her body had not been moved.

Spady began drinking with companions at 6 p.m. on Sept. 5 and did not stop until about 5 a.m. the next day. Investigators said Spady and her friends started with beer but later switched to vodka.

Spady's body was found in a lounge of the fraternity house by a fraternity member giving a tour the evening of Sept. 6. Beers said Spady probably died about midmorning that day.

On Wednesday, police cited 19 men and women for underage drinking or buying alcohol for minors, and the university shut down the fraternity's chapter at the campus because of Spady's death and other alcohol violations.

None of the 19 faces charges directly related to Spady's death because she drank at parties where alcohol was available to anyone, police spokeswoman Rita Davis said.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
that university seems to have some hughe freaking problems

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I drank as much as anyone else in college... heck... I drank as much as most college students combined...

This is just plain nuts... I wish peace on her family...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Shots I bet were involved. Inexperienced drinkers can make that mistake.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
How do you drink 40 drinks anyway? Much like other college students, I pounded the beers daily, but even on my best drinking day I couldn't drink more than a case. She must have chugged the vodka.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
I feel for her family. such a tragic lose

How can anyone drink that many in that short a time and be able to physically lift and manuver a glass or bottle as to take a drink???

Even in my heavy partying college days, I couldn't get past a twelve pack a half dozen shots of tequilla and a few cubes in that amount of time..

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
How in the world could her friends let her keep drinking? At some point don't you begin to feel concern?

40 drinks in 11 hours? I doubt she felt any pain, but 19 is way too young to cash in your chips.

Plus it sounds like her body wasn't discovered for a good portion of the day.

Tragic.