Dt [defensive tackle]

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Texan_Eph89;2687373 said:
Any thoughts on Ziggy Hood?
He should land in the 2nd or 3rd round area. His 40 time was impressive for a big man.

He's on my radar screen, but I'll be honest, with Igor signing on and Ratliff staying at NT I don't think 2nd or 3rd round is the place to draft Rat's backup.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Ziggy Hood gets behind the pocket more often than Ron Brace but Ron Brace is the better plugger against the run. With Ziggy there is less time to pass and he's got alot of movement for a big man. Brace doesn't get puched back but doesn't create urgency for the opposing QB up the middle either.

Ziggy reminds me a lot of how Ratliff plays. High energy big man that goes after the QB. He's not going to shield our LB's as well as a Brace would since he would plug up a center and guard but at the same time Ziggy gets some serious penetration on passing downs that Brace doesn't.

Like Ziggy more, needs to thicken his base a bit more to help him hold his gaps against the run though. My cost him a bit pass rushing though. Two different players at DT.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
please be more descriptive with your thread titles...and no I dont like him

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Ziggy Hood is going in the first round, I bet. I really like him, and I wish the Cowboys could find a player like him to put into the rotation.

I looked up Marcus Dixon's height and weight. He was projected to be drafted in round 7 but wasn't drafted.

6-4 298

Does that sound familar? Those are exactly Jay Ratliff's measurables.

Dallas is a size/speed ratio team. They have a template or physical framework for drafting players. The Giants, Raiders, Packers, and Jaguars do it, too.

For this reason, Jamon Meredith might be ruled out, and I bet Phil Loadholt was the player Dallas wanted for LT.

Edit: Dixon is listed at 295 now. Still, you get the idea.

Double Edit:

I just looked at Dixon's and Ratliff's draft profile. Both players were 6-4' 292 coming out of college.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
41gy#;2687408 said:
Ziggy Hood is going in the first round, I bet. I really like him, and I wish the Cowboys could find a player like him to put into the rotation.

I looked up Marcus Dixon's height and weight. He was projected to be drafted in round 7 but wasn't drafted.

6-4 298

Does that sound familar? Those are exactly Jay Ratliff's measurables.

Dallas is a size/speed ratio team. They have a template or physical framework for drafting players. The Giants, Raiders, Packers, and Jaguars do it, too.

For this reason, Jamon Meredith might be ruled out, and I bet Phil Loadholt was the player Dallas wanted for LT.
Edit: Dixon is listed at 295 now. Still, you get the idea.

Double Edit:

I just looked at Dixon's and Ratliff's draft profile. Both players were 6-4' 292 coming out of college.
I can in no way envision Loadholt as an NFL left-tackle..... :eek:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i think the cowboys will draft sammie hill or another dt nt in the 5th to 7th round.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Ziggy may be a 1st rounder

a guy to look at as an alternative though is Purdue's Alex Magee, a natural DT, who they moved to DE as a Senior in hopes of mounting a pass-rush (suffice to say he only had 3.5 sacks I believe, but still...

he's a pressure player w/ an unbelievable spin move

TLCC

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2687694 said:
i think the cowboys will draft sammie hill or another dt nt in the 5th to 7th round.

I agree. Right now with Igor signed I hope we shore up some other areas rather than the DL. I'm hoping that they pick a guy like Taylor, Miller, Hill, Baker in the 4th round or later. I think they could be good rotational guys that can be had late.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TLCC;2687829 said:
I agree. Right now with Igor signed I hope we shore up some other areas rather than the DL. I'm hoping that they pick a guy like Taylor, Miller, Hill, Baker in the 4th round or later. I think they could be good rotational guys that can be had late.

I want to draft a whole bunch of Ratliff types, all across the line, quick, active, stout guys, not tall, linear guys like Spears and Canty

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Olshansky could be described as a linear guy, Canty for sure, Spears, not so much.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
5mics;2687662 said:
I can in no way envision Loadholt as an NFL left-tackle..... :eek:

He's a being called a "poor man's" Marcus McNeil. Loadholt has really helped himself. He had a great Pro Day, and I think the Cowboys would view him as a LT. He had a great combine, too. Loadholt has trimmed down, and hehe's moving much better in the post season. He's in great shape. Sometmes, college coaches let their guys get too big. He's only a two year starter from a junior college, and he has upside. NFL coaches would have a lot to work with. He had a better Senior Bowl than most would think.

Loadholt is one player, I think, the Cowboys would move up for because of his potential at LT. I don't see how he gets past the Bears in round 2. Also, I read where some teams have given him a first round grade. Now, he may not go in round one. He has an off the field issue. Tackles rise and getting him at 51 probably will not happen.

Teams like San Diego, Minnesota, Chicago, and Dallas would rate him very high.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2687811 said:
Ziggy may be a 1st rounder

a guy to look at as an alternative though is Purdue's Alex Magee, a natural DT, who they moved to DE as a Senior in hopes of mounting a pass-rush (suffice to say he only had 3.5 sacks I believe, but still...

he's a pressure player w/ an unbelievable spin move

I agree with you about Magee. I want Ratliff type guys, too. Magee could play all three spots. Give me Dorell Scott and another Ratliff type of player. I think the Cowboys think Marcus Dixon is that type of guy, but I would draft one if I could, too. Load up and hope one sticks.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2688065 said:
He's a being called a "poor man's" Marcus McNeil. Loadholt has really helped himself. He had a great Pro Day, and I think the Cowboys would view him as a LT. He had a great combine, too. Loadholt has trimmed down, and hehe's moving much better in the post season. He's in great shape. Sometmes, college coaches let their guys get too big. He's only a two year starter from a junior college, and he has upside. NFL coaches would have a lot to work with. He had a better Senior Bowl than most would think.

Loadholt is one player, I think, the Cowboys would move up for because of his potential at LT. I don't see how he gets past the Bears in round 2. Also, I read where some teams have given him a first round grade. Now, he may not go in round one. He has an off the field issue. Tackles rise and getting him at 51 probably will not happen.

Teams like San Diego, Minnesota, Chicago, and Dallas would rate him very high.

yeah, I think Loadholt will be fine if he gets proper coaching, teach him to open up his hips, and kick-back quicker, plus an NFL conditioning schedule w/ tone down that fat

41gy#;2688079 said:
I agree with you about Magee. I want Ratliff type guys, too. Magee could play all three spots. Give me Dorell Scott and another Ratliff type of player. I think the Cowboys think Marcus Dixon is that type of guy, but I would draft one if I could, too. Load up and hope one sticks.

I like those quick, active guys, that's why Ratliff is so good, he's going full-speed every down, that's hard to beat, combine that w/ his power, and he's a beast

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Hood will be a good 4-3 tackle but could move to end in a 3-4. I think he'll go early 2nd round, may rise into that late 1st because after Raji and Perry there's not many good DT's out there. Teams like Colts, Falcons need 4-3 DT's bad.
Personally i like Dorrell Scott in the 3rd round. He's a big guy for the NT in our scheme but can anchor against the run, spell Rat somewhat and is a better athlete than he's given credit for.