DT Paul Soliai

hendog

Reaction score
I was hoping for him in the top of the 4th as well. But after going back thru these draft guides he wasn't rated very high and seems like his size is mostly what he's got going for him.
I guess JJ ans Wade figured they already had a "size" guy in Stanley and Stanback's potential was more than they wanted to pass up in the 4th.

Lindy's Had him rated 7th (ahead of Justin Harrell ;) )
PFW had him rated 12th
ESPN had him rated 18th
TSN had him rated 11th (ahead of Justin Harrell)
Street and Smith had him rated 13th
Athlon did not have him rated.

Playing in the conference he did - with his size, it would seem to suggest that he would dominate. But apparantly he was just a marginal big guy.

Maybe they have seen enough of Stanley with a year of working with coach Joe that they like what they see?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said in another thread. This kid didn't impress me. He seems like he had discipline issues both with his weight and apparently off of the field.

Let Stanley see what he can do in training camp.

I also think Ratliff did well spotting Ferguson here and there during games.

slick325

Reaction score
hendog;1481365 said:
I was hoping for him in the top of the 4th as well. But after going back thru these draft guides he wasn't rated very high and seems like his size is mostly what he's got going for him.
I guess JJ ans Wade figured they already had a "size" guy in Stanley and Stanback's potential was more than they wanted to pass up in the 4th.

Lindy's Had him rated 7th (ahead of Justin Harrell ;) )
PFW had him rated 12th
ESPN had him rated 18th
TSN had him rated 11th (ahead of Justin Harrell)
Street and Smith had him rated 13th
Athlon did not have him rated.

Playing in the conference he did - with his size, it would seem to suggest that he would dominate. But apparantly he was just a marginal big guy.

Maybe they have seen enough of Stanley with a year of working with coach Joe that they like what they see?

I liked him in round 4 as well. I guess Jerry and Wade will be scouring the waiver wires and possibly check for a June 1st salary cap casualty at NT. Don't think we're done searching for that position. Remember, Fergy was a seventh rounder so we can find a lunch pale type of guy on the cheap hopefully.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Ola Dagunduro, the NT from Nebraska was signed by us as a Undrafted FA, the scouting reports say that the one thing he does well is clog up the middle. Add him with Stanley.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I watched him play and I think he's going to make a heck of a NT. He started on the offensive side of the ball so he's still got some upside at DT. He hasn't learned all he's going to yet. However, he's Moose Piss strong and has that low center of gravity you need for NT. He's also got the right menatlity. He doesn't mind the contact which is huge for that position. I think he will be a good NT. I wished we could have drafted him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think Jerry and Wade summed it up yesterday. We've got Montavious Stanley. There's no need for a backup NT.

Stanley's sole problem in '06 was his strength. He had an injury in '05 that he's had time to recover from and has had a full season of pro weight training. He'll be fine.

dogberry

Reaction score
Defensively, on passing downs with a four man front with Spencer and Ware at end who are our two middle guys now?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dogberry;1481454 said:
Defensively, on passing downs with a four man front with Spencer and Ware at end who are our two middle guys now?

If you're going by strictly "pass-rush potential" it would have to be Hatcher & Ellis at the DT spots...

From a pass rush perspective that's a pretty good front quite honestly--

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dogberry;1481454 said:

I think you probably see Hatcher and Ellis some where in that mix as well. You figure that Canty can Spears might also fit at DT in obvious pass rush situations.

hendog

Reaction score
dogberry;1481454 said:

Ratliff is a pretty good pass rusher from the DT spot as well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mosley said on his blog that we shouldn't be entirely shocked if Spears played a little NT. Maybe that's just speculation, but Mosley has gotten a lot of things right about us lately, so maybe there's more to it than that.

Really, I could see it in the future, though not necessarily now. In an emergency situation, Hatcher-Spears-Canty would probably be better than Spears-Stanley/Ratliff-Canty.