Duck Dynasty... BB (Before Beards)...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Phil Robertson's love for the outdoors and duck hunting lead him to create the Duck Commander Duck Call in 1973, forgoing a career in the NFL. During the ten-week duck hunting season, Phil follows a strict routine of no showering, no shaving, and no clothes washing of any kind to ensure a bountiful haul.

Back in the late '60s, Robertson was a quarterback at Louisiana Tech, starting ahead of a guy named Terry Bradshaw -- who would later become a Hall of Famer with four Super Bowl rings.

As detailed in Sports Illustrated, Robertson turned down an offer from the Washington Commanders his junior year to concentrate on duck hunting.
slide13-ytv-DuckDynasty-ThenAndNow-Phil-jpg_000008.jpg

Uncle Si. The Vietnam vet’s most famous war story is that while serving overseas, his mother sent him a blue mug. Thirty years later, it’s still hanging from his back pocket and he continues to only drink from this cup, every day.
slide13-ytv-DuckDynasty-ThenAndNow-Si-jpg_000012.jpg

Willie Robertson is the CEO of Duck Commander. As the only Robertson with a business degree, he took the company from a living room operation down by the river to a premiere destination for all things outdoors.
slide13-ytv-DuckDynasty-ThenAndNow-Willie-jpg_000012.jpg

Jase and Missy Robertson pose for a photo on their wedding day. Twenty years later and the couple is still happily married.
slide13-ytv-DuckDynasty-ThenAndNow-Missy-Jase-jpg_000008.jpg

Phil and Kay Robertson from their high school days. Kay was only 16 years old when she married Phil.
pg48-jpg_000008.jpg

Willie and Korie Robertson's Prom picture
Willie-Robertson-prom-photo-490x689-jpg_000013.jpg

Jase and Missy Robertson in high school
Missy-and-Jase---prom-photo-jpg_000008.jpg

Willie Robertson was a star basketball player in high school
Willie-Basketball-picture-jpg_000012.jpg

Willie and Korie Robertson at the beach with their kids John Luke and Sadie
beach-2000-jpg_000008.jpg

Boys122

Reaction score
Ayuh, great show.

I'm gonna have to take their man card for not having the beards in high school.

:laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the last couple of years a few people at work said I looked like I should be on Duck Dynasty.

I had No clue what the show was and had never seen a clip of it.

This year I finally saw an advertisement for it and figured out why they said I looked like I belong on the show.

Although to be fair I have since cut off my hair and keep it shaved most times...but the beard is still going after just having the goatee during the summer.

Don't know if I would watch the show or not...but nothing wrong with supporting a fellow bearded brother. :p:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Say what you will about the show, the beards, etc.

But they are good people.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I started watching it. It's entertaining but little heavy on the scripting.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Most heavily scripted "reality" show there is, but it is pure greatness. I don't miss an episode.

Truth be told, every son has a degree in something. They play it off that they are bumpkins, but the entire family is heavily educated. Phil has a masters in Education.

jnday

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;5015509 said:

I don't think it is an act. I have never seen anything to make me think they are any different in everyday life. I know several people that has talked to them through the years and all of them say the Robertsons are a fine family.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
If they aren't the good ole boys they seem to be the likes of TMZ & those type shows will be all over it eventually.

I think they are what they are..rednecks & proud of it. Rich rednecks!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;5015509 said:

jnday;5015592 said:
I don't think it is an act. I have never seen anything to make me think they are any different in everyday life. I know several people that has talked to them through the years and all of them say the Robertsons are a fine family.

Did you think I was saying it was an act?

Boys122

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;5015509 said:

Okay, and who said anything bad about them? Did I miss something?

jnday

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;5015643 said:
Did you think I was saying it was an act?

No, just agreeing with you. So many tv personalities are phonies these days but these guys are the real deal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
jnday;5015715 said:
No, just agreeing with you. So many tv personalities are phonies these days but these guys are the real deal.

I disagree sort of. Also agree.

I think this show is scripted all the same as the others. I think their characters are likely genuine but you can definitely see parts that have been aided by writing.

Sort of like Pawn Stars. I think most of the actual story is phony but the characters are genuine. I think reality TV has gone from low-budget actors with written scripts to genuine personalities who are kind of dropped into a scenario with the TV part being how they respond.

I also think they are caricatures of sorts. I'm not sure they are all that "redneck" (I'm not sure that's all too applicable in itself but that's another topic) but they have the appeal down to a science.

I mean, look at the picture of Willie on the beach with his kid. The episode I saw would probably make that picture 6-7 years ago just based on how old the boy is now. 6-7 years ago Willie is bleaching the tips of his hair? If that's "redneck" then CCF is likely the only "redneck" on this board because he's just about the only poster I've seen say that he's on that train.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
If you watch the show the others tease Willie about not being as redneck as they are..when they're out camping he's in the RV. He also has a beautiful home very different from his dad's home.

They're just guys living like they want to live. They are a great FAMILY though. That to me is a big part of the show's appeal.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
They are rednecks ,but also everyone has a college degree and the dad has his masters.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Supposedly Phil Robertson was higher on the depth chart than Terry Bradshaw at school, but gave it up. Without that, we might have never had to deal with Terry :laugh2:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Boys122;5015655 said:
Okay, and who said anything bad about them? Did I miss something?

I never said anyone said anything bad about them.

It was just early in the thread, and I figured just like any other topic we would get opinions from one extreme to the other.

So I was just saying, .. no matter what else is said, .. I think they are good people.

jnday

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;5016296 said:
I never said anyone said anything bad about them.

It was just early in the thread, and I figured just like any other topic we would get opinions from one extreme to the other.

So I was just saying, .. no matter what else is said, .. I think they are good people.

I thought that the bashing would start as well. I meant for my post to be supportive of yours. Surprise! No bashing the family, just the scripted part of the show.