DVD fast forwarding likely to be banned

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
DVD fast forwarding likely to be banned
By Nick Farrell: Monday 22 November 2004, 07:09

THE US CONGRESS is considering making fast forwarding through video advertisements a crime.
Lawmakers in the land of the free have decided that it is costing their chums in the movie industry far too much money and want video fast-forwarders placed in the same league as pirates.

According to NBC news the new law allows families to use new DVD technology self censor explicit scenes of sex and violence but forbids them to edit out advertisements.

Consumer advocacy group, Public Knowledge is fighting the bill saying that it is ever American's right not to watch advertisements if they don't want. It claims that the movie industry is leaning on its tame senators to prevent the loss of revenue.

However the Motion Picture Association has been fighting hard to prevent people using the latest DVD technology to allow users to skip the advertisements.

It added that it supports other parts of the act, "particularly those provisions that will help combat the theft of motion pictures". If you can see how the two things are connected we would love to know how.​

Duane

Reaction score
Just greed on their part and it'll do nothing more than cause people to pirate more movies.

trickblue

Reaction score
Duane said:
Just greed on their part and it'll do nothing more than cause people to pirate more movies.

I agree with you... the entertainment industry are their own worst enemies...

Duane

Reaction score
What they should be doing is fostering more good will, not alienating their customers. There is so much software out there that the average Joe can go to Blockbuster, rent a movie and copy it for a fraction of the new price. If you have to wait five minutes to see a movie you paid for it's not gonna make people buy more movies.

trickblue

Reaction score
Duane said:
What they should be doing is fostering more good will, not alienating their customers. There is so much software out there that the average Joe can go to Blockbuster, rent a movie and copy it for a fraction of the new price. If you have to wait five minutes to see a movie you paid for it's not gonna make people buy more movies.

Exactly... their greed outweighs their common sense...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
It doesn't end there. Tivo is supposed to start putting up ads that are superimposed on your screen that comes on if you fast forward through the commercials. So if you are watching a show you tivo'd and are fast forwarding you may get a billboard type ad for maxi pads or beer. :mad: I agree with you guys that the entertainment industry is the their own worst enemy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you can already see many DVD's that will not let you use the skip function during adverts...nor can you hit the menu button to go straight to the menu during some adverts.

Now if they take away the fast forward button....I guess I will have to put in the DVD....and go smoke a cigarette and then maybe they will be past the adverts by then lol.

Another thing...how would this effect pirating movies?

I have copied many movies, some my parents have owned or I have rented...If you can't fast forward on the regular DVD...then copying the movie is going to do the same thing in most cases....so not sure why one would think it would make it increase or decrease.

Hell even the software that I use to copy DVDs leaves a splash screen on the copied version as an advert that it has been copied using the software in question.

NOW...if they are going to do this, and there is no way you can get around the adverts....then with that they should start lowering the average costs across the board of DVDs as they are getting the adverts watched....since they are trying to say nobody watches them so they lose money. :D

Duane

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Well you can already see many DVD's that will not let you use the skip function during adverts...nor can you hit the menu button to go straight to the menu during some adverts.

Now if they take away the fast forward button....I guess I will have to put in the DVD....and go smoke a cigarette and then maybe they will be past the adverts by then lol.

I have copied many movies, some my parents have owned or I have rented...If you can't fast forward on the regular DVD...then copying the movie is going to do the same thing in most cases....so not sure why one would think it would make it increase or decrease.

Hell even the software that I use to copy DVDs leaves a splash screen on the copied version as an advert that it has been copied using the software in question.

NOW...if they are going to do this, and there is no way you can get around the adverts....then with that they should start lowering the average costs across the board of DVDs as they are getting the adverts watched....since they are trying to say nobody watches them so they lose money. :D

I meant that there is going to be even more animosity towards the industry leading more people to want to copy movies, not remove the ads.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Duane said:
I meant that there is going to be even more animosity towards the industry leading more people to want to copy movies, not remove the ads.

You may be right...but like I said...most software or users will copy the whole DVD and still have to sit through them anyways.

However like I said if this leads to them making DVDs cheaper because people can not fast forward through the ads then I could be ok with that...as long as there are only a few adds.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
shrek 2 doesn't allow you to skip past the previews.

I tried to return the movie because of that reason and wasn't allowed because the package was opened and it plays.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

You are using the wrong software then I have one you can rip it all out if you want with a uncheck of a box