Signed by Cowboys DWare retiring a Cowboy

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, he retired as a Bronco. Romo retired as a Cowboy. Sure, this is nice, but I hate when guys who go to other teams for greener pastures or greater glory are treated with the same reverence as those who stuck it out -- Dirk, Troy, Romo. Sorry, Emmitt, DWare, Modano, etc.

Well, I don't think anybody likes to see good players move on but I don't know how you fault the player. I mean, he offered to play for Dallas for less and we told him to walk. How is this the fault of the player?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
One of the Greats. Player and person.

Randomly stumbled across a Greg Ellis article recently, where he said Demarcus Ware would come off the field and intentionally "hide" from the coaching staff so that Ellis would get playing time. And this is when Ware had his 20 sack season and was in a contract year.

"It's a disgrace when DeMarcus Ware comes off the field just so I can get in the game and when the coaches tell him to come on the field, he tries to hide so I can play," Ellis said on Irvin's show.

Came off the field to give his teammate reps.

Plankton

Reaction score
No, he retired as a Bronco. Romo retired as a Cowboy. Sure, this is nice, but I hate when guys who go to other teams for greener pastures or greater glory are treated with the same reverence as those who stuck it out -- Dirk, Troy, Romo. Sorry, Emmitt, DWare, Modano, etc.

Ware was cut by the Cowboys.

vlad

Reaction score
I should not be surprised that some people would have a problem with this...but I'll always remember him, Witten, and Romo as the faces of that era that on their own were outstanding at their jobs, but organizationally didn't have what they needed, including a coach-in-training. Nothing against Garrett, but that entire concept just blows my mind.

This is the kind of player that I am stoked to root for.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Jerry has been trying to find the next DWare for a while,he struck out with Gregory but he will keep trying.

robjay04

Reaction score
Troy
If Ware, above all else, had wanted to be a lifer he could've worked it out. Again, Dirk, the 6th ALL-TIME LEADING SCORER IN NBA HISTORY played for the minimum two seasons ago and will again next year because being in Dallas is important to him and he understands the salary cap affects the team. Aikman had an opportunity to go to the Eagles, but just couldn't do it.

Yes, I expected the knee-jerkers to come out acting as if I'm saying Ware should be treated like a pariah. Far from it. But the whole "retiring as..." shtick is cheesy and disingenuous when your last 3 seasons and 37 games were played somewhere else.

Admittedly, I may be wrong, I don't know the ins and outs of the NBA salary cap but two years ago, it appears Dirk made about 8 million, not the minimum. 8 million a season is a solid salary in the NFL. Before that he made money comparable to QB
money...comparing NFL and NBA salaries is just not even fair. Judging by a few internet sites...Dirk is worth about 130 million while Ware is worth about 30.

Troy Aikman stopped playing because of his back and he got a cozy television job. He would've been a Dolphin or an Eagle if not for Fox, don't even debate that. Same with Romo...he would be a Texan this year if he didn't get offered a cozy announcing gig.

Ware turned down meetings with the Eagles and Commanders because he didn't want to play against the Cowboys out of respect for this organization. Loyalty doesn't exist in sports...players are justifiably trying to stack up as much chips as possible to retire by 35. If they can stay with one team, great but that team better pay him.

Ware was one of the most exciting players I have seen for a decade of my football watching life. If we are lucky, we will get 70 good years of watching football...I'm proud I was able to root for Ware for 10 of those.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I should not be surprised that some people would have a problem with this...but I'll always remember him, Witten, and Romo as the faces of that era that on their own were outstanding at their jobs, but organizationally didn't have what they needed, including a coach-in-training. Nothing against Garrett, but that entire concept just blows my mind.

This is the kind of player that I am stoked to root for.
Romo and Witten were wasted here. At least D-Ware got his ring.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Romo and Ware will most likely be inducted together into the RoH in the next 3 yrs. I said it first.