Dynasties Start with QB Competition, Not QB Friendliness

blueblood70

Reaction score
Walsh was never in contention for the starting job.
thats not his point both he and Pelluer were just in case competition for Aikman and may have pushed aikman a bit, hes saying dont let the starting qb get too comfortable and try and bring in some real competition because you never know when you might hit on one..

however i disagree on using high draft picks on them when you have many other needs and have starter..so maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder similar to what NE did the last 3-4 years when they felt TB was close to done..you then have backup capable to star or use as trade bait as NE did.

no way im using #10 on QB this season when defense has so many holes their new name is not hotboyz its swiss cheese crew LOL

JustChip

Reaction score
Most of the OP's examples date from the 60's and 70's. The ridiculous money that is in the game now wasn't in the game then. The fragile ego's we see now stem from that. There is no way a top QB now would win a play off game or two then be happy to sit on the bench the next season. That'a not to say i'm against drafting the best available QB by the way, it wouldn't be my first choice but I can see some value in it.
The money isn’t just an ego issue, it’s an economic issue. The guaranteed money with the salary cap makes it extremely difficult. Sure, it’s a sunk cost and a team can simply play the guy that earned the job, but these owners are business men/women and they’re going to do everything they can to get return on investment. That’s why Pederson is gone.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
thats not his point both he and Pelluer were just in case competition for Aikman and may have pushed aikman a bit, hes saying dont let the starting qb get too comfortable and try and bring in some real competition because you never know when you might hit on one..

however i disagree on using high draft picks on them when you have many other needs and have starter..so maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder similar to what NE did the last 3-4 years when they felt TB was close to done..you then have backup capable to star or use as trade bait as NE did.

no way im using #10 on QB this season when defense has so many holes their new name is not hotboyz its swiss cheese crew LOL

Troy pushed himself to improve, the backups were no threat, Troy was the starter.

JustChip

Reaction score
The last example was NE and my recollection is that they had decided to move on from Bledsoe when they drafted Brady.
They may have decided to move on from Drew, but they didn’t draft Tim to replace him. I remember reading somewhere a few years back that drafting Tom was because a particular scout was adamant and pounded the table. That same article said they were going to cut Tom late in training camp until an injury saved him.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Watching Green Bay and Tampa Bay. Notably both quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady) were drafted by teams with successful quarterbacks: Brett Favre and Drew Bledsoe.

The list below demonstrates, to me, that Romo-Friendliness and Dak-Friendliness isn't the way to go. I'm OK with keeping Dak. But I also want to use the top 10 pick on a qb for competition. And rather than look at it as an insult to him, it actually will bring him to the next level, if he has that next level in him.

Observe:

1960s Green Bay Packers
When Bart Starr was drafted by the Packers, Tobin Rote was a Pro Bowl starter. Babe Parelli, a #4 overall draft pick, was on the bench. In the AFL after leaving the Packers, Rote went on to an MVP season and Parelli became an AFL All-Star multiple times. If Tobin Rote were the Cowboys QB today, Jerry would throw money at him.

1970s Steelers and Cowboys
When the Cowboys drafted Roger Staubach, they had Don Meredith and a year later drafted Craig Morton in the first round. Meredith retired when Roger returned from the Navy. Obviously Morton was no slouch. Two SB appearances, and outstanding stats in his two undisputed years as Cowboys starter. Staubach won his first Super Bowl from off the bench, then went back to the bench to start the next year. But Roger won out.

In 1969, the Steelers chose QB Terry Hanratty with the 30th overall pick (2nd round, in the 1st round now). So naturally, they did what Jerry would do: put all of their resources into Hanratty because their credibility was tied up in him. No, of course not. They used the 1970 No. 1 pick overall on Terry Bradshaw. And late round pick Joe Gilliam was the starter at the beginning of their first SB year. They churned.

1980s 49ers
Less of a case here. But Joe Montana did beat out journeyman Steve DeBerg, who wasn't bad and led the Chiefs to playoff berths later in his career. Of course, the Commanders rotated quarterbacks. But I wouldn't recommend that strategy.

1990s Cowboys
Troy Aikman. Steve Walsh.
And obviously Steve Young joined the Niners during the Montana years.

2000s/2010s Patriots
Drew Bledsoe went to the Pro Bowl in 1994, 1996, 1997. The Patriots drafted Tom Brady in 1998. Like Staubach, Brady won a Super Bowl and went back to the bench for a short time, IIRC.

Obviously QB competition didn't destroy these guy's tender egos. It brought the best out of them.
Your memory fails you. Bledsoe started the first 2 games in 2001, getting hurt in game 2. Brady came in and didn't see the bench again until he tore his acl in week one in 2008.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
why can't we just settle? we might not find another average guy who is good on first reads but slow going through the rest of his reads.
We might get fans who actually know what they're talking about, but I won't hold my breath.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Troy pushed himself to improve, the backups were no threat, Troy was the starter.
Johnson was all about competition at every position, especially in the early days. He may have thought of Aikman as the starter but he wasn't going to just bath his talented but unproven young QB in annointing oil. He absolutely consciously created a competitive situation at the QB position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching Green Bay and Tampa Bay. Notably both quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady) were drafted by teams with successful quarterbacks: Brett Favre and Drew Bledsoe.

The list below demonstrates, to me, that Romo-Friendliness and Dak-Friendliness isn't the way to go. I'm OK with keeping Dak. But I also want to use the top 10 pick on a qb for competition. And rather than look at it as an insult to him, it actually will bring him to the next level, if he has that next level in him.

Observe:

1960s Green Bay Packers
When Bart Starr was drafted by the Packers, Tobin Rote was a Pro Bowl starter. Babe Parelli, a #4 overall draft pick, was on the bench. In the AFL after leaving the Packers, Rote went on to an MVP season and Parelli became an AFL All-Star multiple times. If Tobin Rote were the Cowboys QB today, Jerry would throw money at him.

When the Cowboys drafted Roger Staubach, they had Don Meredith and a year later drafted Craig Morton in the first round. Meredith retired when Roger returned from the Navy. Obviously Morton was no slouch. Two SB appearances, and outstanding stats in his two undisputed years as Cowboys starter. Staubach won his first Super Bowl from off the bench, then went back to the bench to start the next year. But Roger won out.

In 1969, the Steelers chose QB Terry Hanratty with the 30th overall pick (2nd round, in the 1st round now). So naturally, they did what Jerry would do: put all of their resources into Hanratty because their credibility was tied up in him. No, of course not. They used the 1970 No. 1 pick overall on Terry Bradshaw. And late round pick Joe Gilliam was the starter at the beginning of their first SB year. They churned.

1980s 49ers
Less of a case here. But Joe Montana did beat out journeyman Steve DeBerg, who wasn't bad and led the Chiefs to playoff berths later in his career. Of course, the Commanders rotated quarterbacks. But I wouldn't recommend that strategy.

1990s Cowboys

2000s/2010s Patriots
Drew Bledsoe went to the Pro Bowl in 1994, 1996, 1997. The Patriots drafted Tom Brady in 1998. Like Staubach, Brady won a Super Bowl and went back to the bench for a short time, IIRC.

Obviously QB competition didn't destroy these guy's tender egos. It brought the best out of them.
There are flaws with this.

First of all, Brady and Rodgers didn't compete for the job. Brady got the job in NE just like Dak did in Dallas - when the aging starter got hurt he got the chance to play and the team liked what he did enough to stay with him. Rodgers got the job when Favre announced his retirement. Favre did end up deciding several months later that he wasn't going to retire after all, but the Packers had been playing the back and forth game with Favre for a few years and decided to stay with Rodgers at that point. Besides, their predecessors were aging QB's at that point, just as Romo was in Dallas

Second, regarding the examples from many years ago, that was a time before a salary cap and before QB salaries skyrocketed, so it was easier for a team to have a quality 2nd guy on the team.

As for Staubach, he was drafted in the 10th round, so the Cowboys didn't even have to use significant draft capital on him. Same applies to Brady, who was drafted in the 6th round. Brady wasn't brought in to compete with Bledsoe any more than Dak was brought in to compete with Romo, but circumstances thrust them into a position to show he could play, and the team decided to stay with him.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walsh was never in contention for the starting job.
You are correct, but I heard Aikman say at least once, he wasn't sure Johnson thought Aikman was the guy. That move surprised Aikman and certainly motivated him.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Johnson was all about competition at every position, especially in the early days. He may have thought of Aikman as the starter but he wasn't going to just bath his talented but unproven young QB in annointing oil. He absolutely consciously created a competitive situation at the QB position.

Not exactly. No rb was brought in to compete with Emmitt for the starter's job early in his career.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dak was drafted by a team with a 36 year old quarterback who
1) was coming off an unhealthy season and retired a year later;
2) had just gotten a new contract to age 40 from a team that mistakenly thought he was the equivalent of Peyton Manning mainly because they wanted to believe it.
As I recall, Romo did go to Garrett (Jones?) and ask that the starting QB position be put under open competition.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Observe:

1960s Green Bay Packers

1980s 49ers

1990s Cowboys

2000s/2010s Patriots

Dont need a QB competition. We have a top 7 QB in his prime right now. What this team needs is a defense. Pretty obvious stuff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mahomes beat out another pretty-good but not great quarterback. Alex Smith had 2 Pro Bowls and 11, 11, and 9 wins in the last three years in KC. Smith had his best year in Mahomes' rookie year with a 26/5 TD/INT ratio. I would agree that this was a quicker and more typical change of the guard. KC cleared the field without a prolonged qb challenge. But they also didn't overcommit to Smith and weren't afraid of taking a qb while they had a pretty good one. Would the Joneses do that? I don't see any evidence they would play it this well.

Starting QB is the strength of our team. Literally our best player and leader is Dak. Competition ended 5 years ago when he beat out Romo.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Not exactly. No rb was brought in to compete with Emmitt for the starter's job early in his career.
Timmy Smith, Alonzo Hightower, Terrance Flagler, all were acquired in 1990 to compete with the young and unproven Emmitt Smith.

Obviously Smith won that competition pretty quickly but there was competition at the RB position. Just like Aikman beat out his competition for the QB position.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak literally was drafted by a team that already had a franchise QB.

If you want to argue the cowboys should keep drafting QB’s. I’m fine with it.

Doesn’t mean to necessarily let Dak go at this point either though.

This is all true Dak. But something most fans don't ever entertain, Dak may not want to stay in Dallas. Seriously, the team has offered up several attractive contract offers and he's continued to turn them down. I'm starting to wonder if Dak really doesn't want to be in Dallas?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There was no competition between Brady and Bledsoe or Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre. Bledsoe was the established starter in New England. He got injured, Brady took over and never relinquished the job. Similar to what happened in Dallas when Romo got hurt, Dak over and never relinquished the job. Brett Favre was the established starter in Green Bay. The Packers decided to move on and go with Aaron Rodgers.

the_h0wey

Reaction score

Observe:

1960s Green Bay Packers

1980s 49ers

1990s Cowboys

2000s/2010s Patriots

Why do you think we drafted the Nooch?