Eagles appear ready to part with tackle Runyan

Wimbo

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost... thoughts on Runyan?

Eagles appear ready to part with tackle Runyan
BY BOB BROOKOVER
Knight Ridder Newspapers
INDIANAPOLIS - Jon Runyan will officially become a free agent a week from Saturday, and while that news may not generate the same sort of national attention as Terrell Owens' pending departure from the Eagles, it would be a huge void for coach Andy Reid's team to fill if the right tackle found work in another NFL city next month.

Runyan did not return a phone call Thursday, but he is on record as saying he has not heard from the Eagles about a new contract since the season ended on New Year's Day.

"A lot of people need a right tackle," Runyan told the Delaware County Daily Times. "And, by the looks of it, the Eagles are going to need one. I don't know what they're going to do. I haven't heard from them."

A team source confirmed that the Eagles have not had any contact with Runyan or his agent, Ben Dogra, but beyond that the team is being mysteriously quiet about its plans for the only man who has started for the Eagles at right tackle in the last six seasons.

It appears as if the Eagles are going to let Runyan see what he's worth and then decide if they want to bring him back.

The Eagles acknowledge that the configuration of their offensive line represents their most important and most difficult decision of this off-season.
"Absolutely," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday after examining potential draft picks inside the RCA Dome as part of the NFL's annual scouting combine. "We're going through that process right now. There's a bunch of different situations that could happen depending on Jon's situation, depending on free agency and depending on the draft."
Complicating matters is the status of left offensive tackle Tra Thomas, who missed the final six games of the season because of a lower back injury that required surgery. The Eagles expect Thomas to return, but Mornhinweg said, "You'd better have a plan on top of that when you have health issues."
Thomas also missed most of training camp last season with blood clots in his leg, so he definitely qualifies as a health issue.

Todd Herremans, a fourth-round pick last year, filled in for Thomas before suffering a fractured left ankle a week before the final game.

As of right now, the only offensive-line position that appears etched in stone is right guard Shawn Andrews, but even he could slide out to tackle if Runyan doesn't return. Jamaal Jackson probably has the inside track at center, with Hank Fraley probably returning in a reserve role.

Artis Hicks is the incumbent at left guard, but he is not guaranteed a spot by any means.

Two of the best offensive linemen who can become free agents next week just became a lot less likely to change teams. Seattle's Steve Hutchinson, who is considered by many to be the best offensive guard in the league, received the transition tag from the Seahawks on Thursday, which gives them the right to match any offer by another team.

Jeff Backus, who has started all 80 games during his five-year career with Detroit, received the franchise tag from the Lions, which means it would cost a team two first-round draft picks if they signed him.

The deadline for tagging players passed Thursday.

It is possible that the Eagles will use their first-round pick on an offensive lineman. Five of the best tackles are D'Brickshaw Ferguson from Virginia, Winston Justice from Southern Cal, Eric Winston from Miami, Ryan O'Callaghan from California and Marcus McNeill from Auburn.

Ferguson does not figure to be around when the Eagles make the 14th overall selection.

If the Eagles decide they can part with Runyan, it will be a huge risk and the end of an era along the offensive line. Runyan was the Eagles' first significant free-agent signing of the Reid era.

During Runyan's six seasons with the team, the Eagles made five trips to the playoffs, won four NFC East titles and played in just their second Super Bowl. Runyan was the starting right tackle in every single one of those games.
Tom Modrak, an assistant general manager with the Buffalo Bills, was the general manager with the Eagles when the team signed the offensive tackle to a six-year deal that included a $9.5 million signing bonus.

"I think at that time that the Eagles really needed to establish that they really were here and they were in the market to do something significant," Modrak said. "I think everybody in the organization recognized that. ... We made a big commitment financially and, in my opinion, it was well worth it."
Modrak believes Runyan, even at 32, has a lot left in the tank and will be an appealing player on the free-agent market.

"He brought a dimension and a mentality to that team that wasn't there before he arrived," Modrak said. "He's a tough guy and a good football player. That was a big first step for the organization. I may be prejudiced because I was there when it happened, but he brought a continuity and toughness to that offensive line."

---
T.O. deadline
The Eagles are still hopeful that they can receive some trade compensation for wide receiver Terrell Owens.
The best chance may be if either Kansas City or Denver decides it wants Owens badly enough to prevent the wide receiver from going on the open market as a free agent.
If no deal is made, the Eagles would likely release Owens before March 8, which is the date he would be due a $5 million bonus.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13946402.htm

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score

Wimbo said:
Sorry if this is a repost... thoughts on Runyan?
Wimbo said:

Eagles appear ready to part with tackle Runyan - BY BOB BROOKOVER - Knight Ridder Newspapers, IN

Jon Runyan will officially become a free agent a week from Saturday, and while that news may not generate the same sort of national attention as Terrell Owens' pending departure from the Eagles, it would be a huge void for coach Andy Reid's team to fill if the right tackle found work in another NFL city next month. Runyan did not return a phone call Thursday, but he is on record as saying he has not heard from the Eagles about a new contract since the season ended on New Year's Day. "A lot of people need a right tackle," Runyan told the Delaware County Daily Times. "And, by the looks of it, the Eagles are going to need one. I don't know what they're going to do. I haven't heard from them."

A team source confirmed that the Eagles have not had any contact with Runyan or his agent, Ben Dogra, but beyond that the team is being mysteriously quiet about its plans for the only man who has started for the Eagles at right tackle in the last six seasons. It appears as if the Eagles are going to let Runyan see what he's worth and then decide if they want to bring him back.

The Eagles acknowledge that the configuration of their offensive line represents their most important and most difficult decision of this off-season. "Absolutely," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday after examining potential draft picks inside the RCA Dome as part of the NFL's annual scouting combine. "We're going through that process right now. There's a bunch of different situations that could happen depending on Jon's situation, depending on free agency and depending on the draft."
Complicating matters is the status of left offensive tackle Tra Thomas, who missed the final six games of the season because of a lower back injury that required surgery. The Eagles expect Thomas to return, but Mornhinweg said, "You'd better have a plan on top of that when you have health issues."
Thomas also missed most of training camp last season with blood clots in his leg, so he definitely qualifies as a health issue. Todd Herremans, a fourth-round pick last year, filled in for Thomas before suffering a fractured left ankle a week before the final game.

As of right now, the only offensive-line position that appears etched in stone is right guard Shawn Andrews, but even he could slide out to tackle if Runyan doesn't return. Jamaal Jackson probably has the inside track at center, with Hank Fraley probably returning in a reserve role. Artis Hicks is the incumbent at left guard, but he is not guaranteed a spot by any means. Two of the best offensive linemen who can become free agents next week just became a lot less likely to change teams. Seattle's Steve Hutchinson, who is considered by many to be the best offensive guard in the league, received the transition tag from the Seahawks on Thursday, which gives them the right to match any offer by another team. Jeff Backus, who has started all 80 games during his five-year career with Detroit, received the franchise tag from the Lions, which means it would cost a team two first-round draft picks if they signed him.

The deadline for tagging players passed Thursday. It is possible that the Eagles will use their first-round pick on an offensive lineman. Five of the best tackles are D'Brickshaw Ferguson from Virginia, Winston Justice from Southern Cal, Eric Winston from Miami, Ryan O'Callaghan from California and Marcus McNeill from Auburn. Ferguson does not figure to be around when the Eagles make the 14th overall selection.
If the Eagles decide they can part with Runyan, it will be a huge risk and the end of an era along the offensive line. Runyan was the Eagles' first significant free-agent signing of the Reid era. During Runyan's six seasons with the team, the Eagles made five trips to the playoffs, won four NFC East titles and played in just their second Super Bowl. Runyan was the starting right tackle in every single one of those games.
Tom Modrak, an assistant general manager with the Buffalo Bills, was the general manager with the Eagles when the team signed the offensive tackle to a six-year deal that included a $9.5 million signing bonus.

"I think at that time that the Eagles really needed to establish that they really were here and they were in the market to do something significant," Modrak said. "I think everybody in the organization recognized that. ... We made a big commitment financially and, in my opinion, it was well worth it."
Modrak believes Runyan, even at 32, has a lot left in the tank and will be an appealing player on the free-agent market.

"He brought a dimension and a mentality to that team that wasn't there before he arrived," Modrak said. "He's a tough guy and a good football player. That was a big first step for the organization. I may be prejudiced because I was there when it happened, but he brought a continuity and toughness to that offensive line."

---
T.O. deadline
The Eagles are still hopeful that they can receive some trade compensation for wide receiver Terrell Owens.
The best chance may be if either Kansas City or Denver decides it wants Owens badly enough to prevent the wide receiver from going on the open market as a free agent.
If no deal is made, the Eagles would likely release Owens before March 8, which is the date he would be due a $5 million bonus.
Uncertain how much interest this will draw here -- especially knowing how Eagle-related materials are received by 1F and some others. But I certainly am concerned about this one -- nice thread.

Well, I think both the Eagles and Runyan are interested in guaging Runyan's worth -- strongly believe that he could be offered a contract after the assessment is made. I'd to think about going into the season with an inexperienced player at the Eagle's tackle position.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Get ready for all the "geriatric Tackle" posts to start rolling in. I think the guys pretty solid, but there are lots of people who, for some reason, think that every player over 30 is ready for the scrap heap and should be thrilled to play for peanuts....even though reality says otherwise. If cut, players will tend to play for less, but my guess is he'll be paid pretty good if he shops.