Eagles | Bunkley struggling at minicamps

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:43:18 -0700

Sports Xchange reports when asked about Philadelphia Eagles rookie DT Brodrick Bunkley's progress during the team's spring minicamps, Eagles' defensive coordinator Jim Johnson suggested that the rookie has struggled. "I think the light has come on just a little bit more this last week," he said. "I think he's played much better. I think his technique has improved a little, for what we want. But it's still a work in progress. He's not there yet." Bunkley figures to be part of a four-man tackle rotation this season that likely also will include DTs Mike Patterson, Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn.

JPostSam

Reaction score
that could very easily be the kind of thing that parcells would say to keep the player's head from getting too big... or as a smokescreen.

burmafrd

Reaction score
or the guy could just be slow in getting it- or he is a bust. Lots of possibilities. BUT you cannot say that it is positive.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
No pads on or full contact. Lets here about this in late August.

acheman

Reaction score
Coach-speak, they have high expectations and are pushing him to meet those. I thought it sounded pretty positive for the guy. I'm not happy about it, but I don't think he is going to be a bust at all.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
He moved up the draft charts very quickly after the combine.

Just sayin is all.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Just sayin is all.
Did he? I thought he had hovered about 10-15 before the combine as well.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The thing that would worry me about Bunkley if I were a Philly phan, is that he didn't really come on until his senior season... and even then, it was the latter half of the season. He didn't put together a real good college career... just a real good senior season.

I do think he'll be a good one though. He's just so physical. If he got so strong his senior season from steroids, then he might not pan out with the NFL's testing.

So I guess that's two things that could account for his mediocre career up until his senior season:

1. He might have used steroids his senior season to get so strong and aggressive.

or

2. He might be a very slow learner and things might not have started clicking until he was a senior.

Of course, I think he was hurt some too, which would account for some of that.

I did like the guy though, and wouldn't have minded Dallas taking him. I think he'll be a good player.

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
Broderick Bunkley is a manbeast. He's good at what he's doing, and he's not stupid either. Many rookies have trouble making the transition from NCAA to NFL.

As much as I hope his struggles continue, I think he'll be a force on that line. He might not be too much to handle this year, but in his third or fourth I think he could potentially be one of the best in the game. Of course by then Jevon Kearse will be approximately 87 years old...I hope.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Kevin said:
Broderick Bunkley is a manbeast. He's good at what he's doing, and he's not stupid either. Many rookies have trouble making the transition from NCAA to NFL.

As much as I hope his struggles continue, I think he'll be a force on that line. He might not be too much to handle this year, but in his third or fourth I think he could potentially be one of the best in the game. Of course by then Jevon Kearse will be approximately 87 years old...I hope.
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you 100%. I think Bunkley is gonna be a thorn in both are teams' sides for years to come.

ghst187

Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Just sayin is all.

I agree that's often a sign of a possible bust, but Ware did the same thing.
Let's talk about Bunkley again in 3 years.

burmafrd

Reaction score
young DT's usually take a while to figure things out. the vet O line guys know how to hold without getting caught and it takes a while to learn how to counter that.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Kevin said:
He might not be too much to handle this year, but in his third or fourth I think he could potentially be one of the best in the game. Of course by then Jevon Kearse will be approximately 87 years old...I hope.

Good one ...:rolleyes:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
no way i wouldve drafted anyone in the 1st round with a name like BUNKley

Rockytop6

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I agree that's often a sign of a possible bust, but Ware did the same thing.
Let's talk about Bunkley again in 3 years.

I'll take him on my team any day.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He came from the same school as Corey Simon who woefully underperformed and is the same type of athlete/player.

Bunkley was a DE on a lot of team's charts. Sometimes when a guy falls it is really an indication that teams know more about players than draftniks.

Grabbing the faller always has a weird fill to me now. Maybe the guy falls for a legit reason such as Kevin Jones' lack of top flight speed or Derek Ross' attitude or Antonio Bryant's attitude and then maybe it is just teams needs send them other directions as was the case with Jason Witten.

Lots of folks are giving Philly 'a' draft grades but I do not at all buy that.
Tell me in 3 years if Justice works hard and gets better and if Bunkley will do the dirty work at DT. Because early guesses here say Bunkley is a 3rd down pass rusher and Justice is a mediocre right tackle who plays with inconsistent effort.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Lots of folks are giving Philly 'a' draft grades but I do not at all buy that.

They gave them good grades last year as well.

I will give them an "A" on name recognition, that's for sure. Anytime you grab a supposed top 10 pick in the second round, then you are sure to get some praise.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Personnal, I think the guy is on roids big time.

Star Struck

Reaction score
He's still early in his career. It won't take long for this guy to live up to his potential IMO.