Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FOUR MORE YEARS FOR JOHNSON
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

May 19, 2005
By BOB KENT

The Eagles locked up an important part of their future Thursday, signing defensive coordinator Jim Johnson to a four-year contract extension. Philadelphia's defense has consistently ranked among the league's best over the years, and on Thursday Johnson was rewarded for his efforts.

"As I've said many times, Jim Johnson is the best in the business at what he does," said head coach Andy Reid. "His defensive units continue to produce at a very high level as he puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses."

051905-JJ.jpg

Jim Johnson

Indeed.

Over the last five years, Johnson's units ranked first in the league in fewest points allowed (1,241, 15.5 per game), sacks (236), 3rd down defense (33.0 %), and red zone defense (86 touchdowns in 213 attempts), 8th in opponent's QB rating (73.8), and tied for 9th in take-aways (156).

Johnson's success drew the attention of the San Francisco 49ers following the 2002 season as they considered the Eagles' defensive mastermind an attractive candidate for their head coaching vacancy. However, Reid and the Eagles offered their prized defensive coordinator a lucrative four-year contract extension.

Thursday's deal again demonstrated the team's commitment to Johnson and he was quite pleased.

"I'm very happy to stay with Andy Reid and the Philadelphia Eagles. I love the city of Philadelphia," said Johnson in a statement issued by the team's media relations department. "We've had a great run here and we want to keep it going. We're focused on getting back to the Super Bowl and winning it."

Despite employing a new tandem of starting cornerbacks in Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown in 2004, the Eagles defense ranked 2nd in the league in both points allowed (16.3) and sacks (47).

In 2001, Johnson's unit became the fourth team in NFL history to go all 16 games without allowing more than 21 points. Their streak of allowing 21 or fewer in 34 straight games was second longest in NFL history (Minnesota, 1968-71).

In 1999, Johnson's unit forced a NFL-best 46 turnovers, including a team-record 5 interceptions returned for TDs.

Over the last six years, Johnson's defense has produced 19 Pro Bowl selections: Troy Vincent (5), Brian Dawkins (4), Hugh Douglas (3), Jeremiah Trotter (3), Michael Lewis (1), Lito Sheppard (1), Corey Simon (1), and Bobby Taylor (1).

Despite losses in free agency and due to injuries, the Eagles defense under Johnson has thrived. "Jim is a valuable member of the Eagles organization and we're happy to keep him here for the next several years," said Reid.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=28293

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Good for them, bad for us.

Jim Johnson is currently the best DC in all of football. No question (in my mind).