Eagles Scoop: Johnson tackling defense’s latest problem

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Eagles Scoop: Johnson tackling defense’s latest problem
Paul Flannery, Of the Times Staff

10/07/2005

PHILADELPHIA -- When asked if the Eagles could play this week against the Cowboys with only three defensive tackles, typically blunt defensive coordinator Jim Johnson answered, "No." With the loss of Paul Grasmanis for the season, the Eagles are down to three healthy linemen: Hollis Thomas, Sam Rayburn and rookie Mike Patterson.

If Darwin Walker can not play this week -- he is listed as doubtful with a thigh contusion and did not practice Thursday -- the Eagles have two in-house options on the practice squad: Keyonta Marshall, a seventh-round draft choice from Grand Valley State, and recently acquired Jason Jefferson, a sixth-round pick of the Saints by way of Wisconsin.

Unless the Eagles make a move for a veteran tackle, and there simply aren’t that many of them hanging around, Marshall would appear to be the likely choice.

He impressed the coaching staff in the preseason with his ability to play the run and he has been with the team longer, allowing him to absorb the system.

Marshall said he has been getting time with the second team in practice and the first-team goal-line defense.

"If somebody goes down you have to be ready," Marshall said.

As for Jefferson, Johnson said line coach Tommy Brahser got positive feedback from former Pro Bowler Cortez Kennedy, a consultant for the Saints. Kennedy, Johnson and Brasher were together in Seattle.

Johnson said Walker would probably be a "game-time decision."

l l l

Rod Hood didn’t mince words when asked about his performance against the Chiefs.

"I felt the game I had wasn’t good," Hood said. "Coach Johnson said I played a good defensive game, but to me I didn’t play a good game."

Hood fumbled a kickoff and then compounded his error by getting beat for a touchdown.

A walk-on at Auburn and an undrafted free agent, Hood is used to doing whatever is asked whenever he is asked. Last year in a game against the Rams when the Eagles rested most of their regulars, Hood was on the field for almost every defensive snap and every special teams play.

Special-teams coach John Harbaugh said they may have to watch Hood’s time to make sure he doesn’t get burned out.

"The thing that Rod is doing right now is playing a lot of football," Harbaugh said. "He’s playing all four special-teams phases and he’s playing a lot of snaps on defense. Maybe we need to lighten his load up a little bit with some of those special teams things."

l l l

Here’s a clarification on the status of defensive end Jerome McDougle:

McDougle was placed on the physically unable to perform list during training camp, which means he could begin practicing with the team after Week 6of the NFL season. That would be the Monday after the Eagles bye week leading up to the game with San Diego.

Once McDougle begins practicing,the team has 21 days to decide whether to activate him or put him on injured reserve. The clock begins whenever McDougle begins practicing.

The same holds true for J.R. Reed and Thomas Tapeh, who are not expected to play this year.

l l l

NOTES: It wasn’t a great day for the Eagles special teams last Sunday. Said Harbaugh; "I felt like I was being flogged unmercifully." ..Ryan Moats has been deactivated for the first four games of his NFL career and that isn’t likely to change soon. Brad Childress said it’s a numbers game for Moats and veteran Lamar Gordon has solidified his status as Brian Westbrook’s backup. ..Johnson has been impressed with Dallas quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who he says is throwing deep as well as anyone in football. "I really see the Bledsoe you saw about four or five years ago, staying in the pocket and throwing the long pass," Johnson said. ..Jeremiah Trotter did practice Thursday, while Brian Dawkins was on the field, but in a limited capacity.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15345451&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

©The Daily Times 2005