CFZ Eagles strengths and weaknesses

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at Filly Sunday, these guys aren’t as good (IMO) as they were last year but they are still very good. I’ve watched them play in parts of 3 games and they certainly can be beat. But it won’t be easy.

IMO, these are their strengths and weaknesses.
STRENGTHS
  • They are still very capable offensively. Still run the ball well, one of only 10 NFL teams that have rushed for over 1,000 yds so far, and have 10 rushing TDs (compared to 5 for us)
  • Their passing game is good, not great. Hurts has 13 TDs but has thrown 8 pics- 3 more than Dak.
  • WR AJ Brown has been a stud- already has 60 receptions and 5 TDs. He’s on pace for a 110-120 catch season. He’s tough to cover because he’s fast and fights well for the ball.
  • Their D has an excellent pass rush and already have 25 sacks.
  • They can stop the run. They have allowed less than 80 yards per game through 8 games so far.
WEAKNESSES
  • Hurts has thrown 8 pics in 8 games. If you can force him to stay in the pocket and make tough throws, he’s not as effective. If he’s playing from behind, especially late in the game, his effectiveness drops significantly.
  • Their secondary is vulnerable if Dak has time. Their nickel corner Bradley Robey has been hurt and their other corners have been beat more than a few times lately. They allowed the Commanders Sam Howell to throw for nearly 400 yds. They can be vulnerable to the pass.
  • The eagles K Jake Elliott has missed an XP and a couple of FGs lately.
We can beat these guys. But they are still very good. It’s going to take our best game of the year.
If the OL can give Dak time, we have a chance. If the defense can stop the run and not allow Hurts to run around we have a great chance.

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
Looking at Filly Sunday, these guys aren’t as good (IMO) as they were last year but they are still very good. I’ve watched them play in parts of 3 games and they certainly can be beat. But it won’t be easy.

IMO, these are their strengths and weaknesses.
STRENGTHS
  • They are still very capable offensively. Still run the ball well, one of only 10 NFL teams that have rushed for over 1,000 yds so far, and have 10 rushing TDs (compared to 5 for us)
  • Their passing game is good, not great. Hurts has 13 TDs but has thrown 8 pics- 3 more than Dak.
  • WR AJ Brown has been a stud- already has 60 receptions and 5 TDs. He’s on pace for a 110-120 catch season. He’s tough to cover because he’s fast and fights well for the ball.
  • Their D has an excellent pass rush and already have 25 sacks.
  • They can stop the run. They have allowed less than 80 yards per game through 8 games so far.
WEAKNESSES
  • Hurts has thrown 8 pics in 8 games. If you can force him to stay in the pocket and make tough throws, he’s not as effective. If he’s playing from behind, especially late in the game, his effectiveness drops significantly.
  • Their secondary is vulnerable if Dak has time. Their nickel corner Bradley Robey has been hurt and their other corners have been beat more than a few times lately. They allowed the Commanders Sam Howell to throw for nearly 400 yds. They can be vulnerable to the pass.
We can beat these guys. But they are still very good. It’s going to take our best game of the year.
If the OL can give Dak time, we have a chance. If the defense can stop the run and not allow Hurts to run around we have a great chanc

Nice write up as usual Bob… i really enjoy your stuff. I would agree with everything but swap one thing out. Elliot is not a weakness he missed one xp this season back in week 1 and only two fgs on the season.

Honestly i swap that out with coaching …. their coaches seem to really make odd play calls at times and their egos could get them in trouble in a tight game. They run the ball with their qb who is battling a leg injury … Sirani seems clueless.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice write up as usual Bob… i really enjoy your stuff. I would agree with everything but swap one thing out. Elliot is not a weakness he missed one xp this season back in week 1 and only two fgs on the season.

Honestly i swap that out with coaching …. their coaches seem to really make odd play calls at times and their egos could get them in trouble in a tight game. They run the ball with their qb who is battling a leg injury … Sirani seems clueless.
Good point about coaching.
With Hurts currently battling a bad knee bruise it may limit some of his willingness to run a lot.
The other big thing to me is not letting the eagles open up an early lead. When the eagles are winning by 10 or more in the first half they have been extremely tough the last two years. If we be close throughout I like our chances.

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
Good point about coaching.
With Hurts currently battling a bad knee bruise it may limit some of his willingness to run a lot.
The other big thing to me is not letting the eagles open up an early lead. When the eagles are winning by 10 or more in the first half they have been extremely tough the last two years. If we be close throughout I like our chances.
Exactly - protecting the ball is paramount this game. Let’s hope we do it !

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
WEAKNESSES
If the OL can give Dak time, we have a chance. If the defense can stop the run and not allow Hurts to run around we have a great chance.
Elliott is 18-20 in FG's, including 4-5 from 50+ and 1-1 from 60+. He missed one xp, I believe his holder screwed up on that. I don't see that as a weakness.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I get that tingly feeling, that Dak is going to have good game.

Like he always does. 8-3 Vs Philly.

Techsass

Reaction score
This should be a good game. We usually match up well with the Eagles. I think our FO has the Eagles on their minds when we make our draft picks.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If he’s playing from behind, especially late in the game, his effectiveness drops significantly.
This is actually the opposite of what’s been happening. All 8 interceptions have been while Philadelphia has the lead. His efficiency and production go through the roof when he’s trailing this year, he goes from Banner to Hulk when you make him angry.

plasticman

Reaction score
One major strength for the Eagles this game is the fact that they are playing at home.

Since McCarthy became HC, the Cowboys are 4-8 on the road against teams that went to the playoffs that season.

Overall, in 2022 and 2023 combined, the Cowboys are 11-1 at home and 6-6 on the road.

If the Cowboys could pull an upset on Sunday, then it would do more than keep the Cowboys hopes alive for better seeding through a division championship. It would signal a turning point.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is actually the opposite of what’s been happening. All 8 interceptions have been while Philadelphia has the lead. His efficiency and production go through the roof when he’s trailing this year, he goes from Banner to Hulk when you make him angry.

Wow. Crazy stat.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We can’t beat the Niners ,but we can beat the Eagles, who can beat the Niners.

All your points are valid and interesting but in the end it’s merely how the teams match up head to head
I'm wondering if we still can't beat the 9ers with how crappy they been looking.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Why don't they list the teams he's led against like they do all Dak stats? At the end of the day you want to make Hurts catch up. I get what the stats say but I want Jalen to have to pass himself back into a game.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Why don't they list the teams he's led against like they do all Dak stats? At the end of the day you want to make Hurts catch up. I get what the stats say but I want Jalen to have to pass himself back into a game.
When it becomes a big enough pool of teams, you can just separate them into 2 groups, like this:

1F4DE09C-5976-4B99-B512-F6AA46446971.jpeg.da9f6f812099c507e96d3fac353e9054.jpeg

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What does that graphic have to do with my post though?
Your post was about listing them by team “like they do with Dak”. They might do that when it’s 2-3 teams, but when the sample size gets big enough, they clump them together. As proof by a “who did Dak beat” stat with a bigger sample size

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your post was about listing them by team “like they do with Dak”. They might do that when it’s 2-3 teams, but when the sample size gets big enough, they clump them together. As proof by a “who did Dak beat” stat with a bigger sample size
They literally do it with Dak right now with all his stats lol. At the end of the day Hurts has beaten no one for me to sit here and say oh him trailing is not a issue. I'd rather have to see him passing to catch up then controlling a lead. Just because he trailed against some dogs doesn't make that opinion change lol.