Eagles Think T.o. Is Milking His Groin (injury)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Take it for what its worth. From the daily rag.

EAGLES THINK T.O. IS MILKING HIS GROIN (INJURY)

A league source tells us that the Philadelphia Eagles privately believe that receiver Terrell Owens is deliberately avoiding practice with a groin injury, as an expression of lingering disappointment with his contract.

But the Eagles, the source tells us, are saying publicly that the injury is legitimate because they don't want the general public to believe that T.O. is "playing them like fools."

On Tuesday, Owens missed his fourth practice in five days.

It's the latest chapter in a soap opera that could, as we see it, result in a split between player and team before the September 11 season opener. We suggested when Owens made known his intent to report for training camp after weeks of threatening to hold out that the Eagles could choose in the end to cut him on the eve of the date on which his $3.25 million salary for 2005 becomes fully guaranteed, given his status as a vested veteran.

The Eagles are required to pay T.O. $10.75 million between September 1, 2005 and April 1, 2006, and Owens would be hard pressed to get that kind of jack on the open market -- especially if he were to be thrust onto the free-agency shelf by the team after any other franchise who might be interested in him has rounded out its roster, and spent most of its 2005 cap money.

The fact that the Eagles privately are wondering whether any other team would pay T.O. in March 2006 the $7.5 million in bonus money he's due to earn in Philly causes us to assume that they're also looking at the question from the perspective of his 2005 salary. Frankly, we think he'd be very hard pressed to get $3.25 million this year, if he's cut on September 9. And since he'd be landing with another team hours before the start of the regular season, he probably wouldn't be able to generate the kind of production that would make him a high-dollar free agent next year.

Of course, the Eagles can't quite afford to lose Owens, given that Todd Pinkston is gone for the year with a ruptured Achilles' tendon. But since we'd heard in no uncertain terms that the Eagles intend to make an example of Owens if he allows his displeasure with his contract to become an issue in camp, the team might have to start looking at possible trade targets and/or free agents who can come in and catch passes.

COUGHLIN GETS THROUGH TO MANNING?

We've heard that the recent complaints of Giants coach Tom Coughlin regarding the performance of his offense trace directly to the development (or lack thereof) of second-year quarterback Eli Manning.

On multiple occasions since training camp opened, we've been told that the team doesn't believe that Manning has improved to the extent expected from year one to year two.

But perhaps Coughlin's comments have prompted a positive change.

According to The New York Times, the Giants' offense has been crisp, and Manning has been impressive, since Coughlin's critical comments on Monday regarding the performance of the unit.

Said running back Tiki Barber: "Believe it or not, that stuff trickles down. If you have a quarterback who feels good about himself and shows it, he's giving that kind of air off, then the guys around you feel good. By default, he's the leader."

And the converse, we assume, is that if the offense is flatter than the top of Peyton Manning's head, it traces to the quarterback.

But a couple of good practices is hardly proof that Eli has arrived. The preseason games will say much about whether the younger Manning has made a move toward the heights occupied by his big brother.

The real test will come, of course, once the games count.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I really could have done without the image of TO milking his groin...

1fisher

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Did anyone not see that coming? I'd be shocked if he's really hurt.

Andy Reid says that he's not faking it......so, he must not be faking it.... :laugh2:

chargrove

Reaction score
If it IS a fake injury, and the coach IS playing along, then they are nothing more than little girls. But I kind of find both of those things in play hard to believe. Hmmm....

lspain1

Reaction score
The very fact that the rumor is floating around speaks volumes about T.O.'s (and the Eagles) problems. That being said, the Dallas media never try to stir up trouble by reporting innuendo and borderline falsehoods. :rolleyes:

ravidubey

Reaction score
It's the Eagles who milked a very weak NFC last year.

Philadelphia is a good but not great team; besides McNabb and Owens they do not have exceptional and irreplaceable players.

Their exceptional, replaceable players are either on their way out (Westbrook) or are not in positions to dominate games (Dawkins).

Like all playoff teams, they have some good players, like Thomas, Runyan, Sheppard, Lewis, and Brown.

They also have a host of overrated players like Kearse, Simon, LJ Smith, and Trotter.

They have coaches on offense and defense who are masters of smoke and mirrors-- Reid over-coaches the offense which can not run the ball otherwise without him constantly mixing things up and Johnson has to scheme to generate pressure on defense which can not otherwise pressure or dominate at the point of attack.

It's not a great team, and it just shows how sad the NFL has become because based on Philly's record you would think they must be a great team.

Tobal

Reaction score
He'll get the money, it's stupid to think some team won't fork over money for him.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
dmq said:
Take it for what its worth. From the daily rag.

EAGLES THINK T.O. IS MILKING HIS GROIN (INJURY)

A league source tells us that the Philadelphia Eagles privately believe that receiver Terrell Owens is deliberately avoiding practice with a groin injury, as an expression of lingering disappointment with his contract.

But the Eagles, the source tells us, are saying publicly that the injury is legitimate because they don't want the general public to believe that T.O. is "playing them like fools."

On Tuesday, Owens missed his fourth practice in five days.

It's the latest chapter in a soap opera that could, as we see it, result in a split between player and team before the September 11 season opener. We suggested when Owens made known his intent to report for training camp after weeks of threatening to hold out that the Eagles could choose in the end to cut him on the eve of the date on which his $3.25 million salary for 2005 becomes fully guaranteed, given his status as a vested veteran.

The Eagles are required to pay T.O. $10.75 million between September 1, 2005 and April 1, 2006, and Owens would be hard pressed to get that kind of jack on the open market -- especially if he were to be thrust onto the free-agency shelf by the team after any other franchise who might be interested in him has rounded out its roster, and spent most of its 2005 cap money.

The fact that the Eagles privately are wondering whether any other team would pay T.O. in March 2006 the $7.5 million in bonus money he's due to earn in Philly causes us to assume that they're also looking at the question from the perspective of his 2005 salary. Frankly, we think he'd be very hard pressed to get $3.25 million this year, if he's cut on September 9. And since he'd be landing with another team hours before the start of the regular season, he probably wouldn't be able to generate the kind of production that would make him a high-dollar free agent next year.

Of course, the Eagles can't quite afford to lose Owens, given that Todd Pinkston is gone for the year with a ruptured Achilles' tendon. But since we'd heard in no uncertain terms that the Eagles intend to make an example of Owens if he allows his displeasure with his contract to become an issue in camp, the team might have to start looking at possible trade targets and/or free agents who can come in and catch passes.

COUGHLIN GETS THROUGH TO MANNING?

We've heard that the recent complaints of Giants coach Tom Coughlin regarding the performance of his offense trace directly to the development (or lack thereof) of second-year quarterback Eli Manning.

On multiple occasions since training camp opened, we've been told that the team doesn't believe that Manning has improved to the extent expected from year one to year two.

But perhaps Coughlin's comments have prompted a positive change.

According to The New York Times, the Giants' offense has been crisp, and Manning has been impressive, since Coughlin's critical comments on Monday regarding the performance of the unit.

Said running back Tiki Barber: "Believe it or not, that stuff trickles down. If you have a quarterback who feels good about himself and shows it, he's giving that kind of air off, then the guys around you feel good. By default, he's the leader."

And the converse, we assume, is that if the offense is flatter than the top of Peyton Manning's head, it traces to the quarterback.

But a couple of good practices is hardly proof that Eli has arrived. The preseason games will say much about whether the younger Manning has made a move toward the heights occupied by his big brother.

The real test will come, of course, once the games count.

I already called TO what he is a freakin Jake. When he 1st got the injury I said he was jaking it ;yes I realize that calling some one a jake can be taken as an insult. TO is a jake I seen them before we had plenty in the military.

Walks like a duck; quacks like a duck it is a duck

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well he's picked an injury you cannot really test for but can only go on symptoms. So he's forcing the team to accept the injury for what he says it is. Of course it's highly likely that TO is making it up. I'd say almost certain. But he's either figured out a good one to fake or has had some one advise him of the proper kind of injury to fake.

Although in this case it's just the prima donna doing his thing, this kind of thing goes on with more than a few veterans during camp. They rest until the last minute giving themselves just enough time to get ready but avoid most of camp.

This is a good example of why not to have a guy like that in your home.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
<Homer Simpson voice>"Mmmmm....milking the groin....aaaahh"
:eek:

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
BIGDen said:
<Homer Simpson voice>"Mmmmm....milking the groin....aaaahh"
:eek:

If I were the Eagles (thank God, I'm not there) I would run T.O to death if/when he returns to practice and then cut him just before the roster bonus is due. Either that or trade him to a losing team that has no chance to make the playoffs, even with TO. I hate that guy. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all if his injury last year had ended his career.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I don't think that any of us are suprised at this, He did say that he would report to Camp, but he won't be happy. His leverage went up slightly when Stinkton blew his Achillies. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:

1fisher

Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
I don't think that any of us are suprised at this, He did say that he would report to Camp, but he won't be happy. His leverage went up slightly when Stinkton blew his Achillies. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:

agreed 100%

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
jobberone said:
Well he's picked an injury you cannot really test for but can only go on symptoms.

You can certainly look for inflammation of muscle tissue with an MRI, which is T.O.'s diagnosis. Who told you otherwise? T.O. has clauses in his contract that put him at risk of a year-long suspension, without pay or free agency credit, if he fakes an injury or is otherwise conducting himself in a fashion that is detrimental to the team.