Early Attempt at FA/Draft

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
I haven't posted a mock in forever, but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this team and can't wait for the off season to get going.

I think one of the up most priorities is to resign LT Tyron...So let's ink him for two years. Spotrac has him about 7.4 million a year...seems a little low. But hey
Resign RB Rico for 2 years at 2 million per
Resign CB Jourdan Lewis for two years for 4 million per
Resign DT Johnanthan Hankins for one year for 1.5 million
We do need to bring back our long snapper, so let's resign Sieg for two years for 1.3 million per

We need to find another CB who can be moved inside...So, how about Kristian Fulton for 3 years for 20 million?
I know I have us resigning Lewis, but as much as we are in the dime I think having two slot CB's would be beneficial.

Jerry say's we are going all in ...So let's go get LB Devin White for 3 years at 10.7 per.

You can always expect the Cowboys to find a high draft bust in FA and I'm thinking DT Javon Kinlaw for 2 years at 5.4 million per

The RB room needs a little rehaul...So signing D'Onta Forman for 2 years at 3 million a year would be a good choice. He has proven to be a hardnosed runner who would fit our inside zone run.

At DE we should probably move on from Armstrong and Fowler...So, how about we sign A.J. Epenesa for 3 years at 5.6 per...it might take a little more cash than that. But, he hasn't really lived up to his draft status with the Bills, but he would be a good rotational piece here in big D... is a pretty good run defender.

On the the draft...

1.24...Let's try and trade back and gain an extra 3rd, Maybe the Commanders would want trade back in to the first to target an OT, especially since they have the ammunition to do it. That pick is 2.36

So at 2.36 we take DT Byron Murphy (Texas)
  • Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 18. He wrote: "has been clocked at 18 MPH on the GPS, had a team-best 455-pound front squat, and power-cleaned 375 pounds. He could’ve gone heavier, but strength coach Torre Becton shut him down. Becton says Murphy could’ve gotten 500 on the front squat and 405 in the power clean."
  • Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
  • Provides some secondary interior pass rush, getting most penetration when playing three technique.
  • Delivers a strong punch and uses his hands to shed blocks to make plays in the hole or outside the box. Uses lower-body strength to anchor inside.
  • His motor is excellent, and he’s quick to locate the ball and make plays against the run.
  • Murphy has a compact build, but Murphy is a crafty edge player who is very good against the run. Murphy sets the edge and effectively wards off blocks with a strong core, powerful limbs, and natural leverage.
  • Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
At 2.56 we need to get a OC and Zack Frazier (West Virginia) would be a nice fit.
  • Adequate foot quickness to remain outside. Can get to the second level with surprising agility when adjusting to moving defenders. Underrated athleticism, agility, balance, and even straight-line speed to contribute.
  • Fires out of his stance with a good pad level, consistently winning at the point of attack.
  • Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
  • Exhibits good patience in pass protection, sitting back in his set rather than leaning and lunging.
  • He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and Frazier can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level.
  • Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
At 3.67 with the acquired pick from the Commanders we select WR Malachi Corley (Western Kentuckey.)
  • Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 81. He wrote: "Corley, who arrived at WKU in the summer of COVID-19 at 193 pounds, is up to 220 on his 5-11 frame, looking more like a running back than your typical receiver. He’s hit 23 MPH on the GPS and clocked a 4.43 40-yard dash. His 4.08 shuttle time and 355-pound bench also are excellent."
  • Corley is a terror in run-after-catch scenarios, exhibiting the ability to bulldoze through defenders with exceptional balance and vision.
  • He demonstrates impressive hand skills, adept at securing catches away from his frame, which enhances his catch radius despite his size.
  • His transition from defense to offense is evident in his play, showing a natural instinct once the ball is in his hands and success on schemed touches.
  • Though he may not be an instant fit as a traditional receiver, his innate abilities suggest he can contribute immediately in a specialized role.
  • Corley's 'YAC King' moniker is a reflection of his danger with the ball, combining physicality and balance to outmaneuver defenders.
  • His background as a multi-positional high school player speaks to his adaptability and athletic prowess.
  • His physical play style and aggression after the catch make him a matchup nightmare for defenders.
AT 3.87 the pick is LB Cedric Gray (North Carolina)
  • Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 41. He wrote: "At 6-3, 232, he has just 11.3 percent body fat, and he vertical-jumped 36.5 inches, broad-jumped 10 feet and bench pressed 390 pounds. This offseason, he topped over 20 mph on the GPS and did six pull-ups with a 70-pound belt attachment."
  • Gray can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
  • He plays bigger than his listed size, with the functional strength and motor to take on and hold ground against much bigger blockers.
  • He has a compact build, but Gray is a crafty edge player who is very good against the run. He sets the edge and effectively wards off blocks with a strong core, powerful limbs, and natural leverage.
  • He has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
  • Accelerates rapidly and has a great feel for angles. He isn’t huge, but he packs a pop.
  • Gray has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as an authoritative, wrap-up tackler.
"TRADE"...Gallup and 2025m 6th to the Bears for a 4th...pick 110

4.110 I'd like to see OLB/Edge Javon Soloman (Troy)...might go earlier.
  • Solomon has the quickness and flexibility to consistently dip and bend around the edge.
  • He’s explosive off the line of scrimmage, showing the quickness that sets blockers back on their heels.
  • His handwork is excellent. He is tough against the run, playing with a firm base when setting the edge and showing the upper-body strength to stack and shed blockers.
  • His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and Solomon displays a very good motor.
  • Short but muscled up and powerful, He is a uniquely built edge rusher who wins with quickness and leverage.
  • He’s an explosive mover, and he shows body control and flexibility as a pass rusher. Solomon can dip and bend around the corner, and he maintains speed while he does.
Comps....hoping we get a 5th,.6th and 7th

5th RB Jaylen Wright (Tennessee) ...probably have to move up to select him.
  • Wright runs with violence; he’s capable of thrashing through tacklers, and Wright has the natural balance to withstand contact.
  • He keeps his pads low and consistently falls forward. Unlike most backs his size, he has the lateral movement and stop-start ability to make defenders whiff. He has breakaway speed in the open field.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #24. He wrote " The 5-11 Wright is up to 210 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump."
  • He gets low and rarely absorbs significant contact, and he shows a nice blend of quickness and patience, maximizing his blocking.
  • He is a natural playmaker, at his best with the ball in his hands.
  • He shows good vision and good explosion up field once he plants his foot. Wright has lateral movement skills and enough speed to threaten big plays. He’s excellent in the passing game, capable of flexing out as a receiver and creating mismatches against linebackers, and he’s a solid back in the screen game.
  • Fits a zone system, can sift through oncoming traffic and explode through tiny creases and cutback lanes. Elite, darting stop-and-go acceleration. Dangerous in the open field.
6th OG Trevor Keegan (Michigan)
  • Attacks his man, playing with a wide base and the lateral agility to mirror, sustain and shuffle to help inside. Has the size, strength and quick feet to be effective as a position run-blocker.
  • Consistently keeps his feet sliding while maintaining power when dealing with speed, often sending speed rushers flying past the pocket
  • Shows excellent awareness against twists and stunts, and Keegan has the strong, flexible core and wide base to catch and handle moving defenders.
  • Takes much more pride in the run game, where he plays through the whistle with tremendous physicality.
  • Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Plays with a nasty streak. Solid character and work ethic.
  • As a pass protector, he plays with good balance and holds up against the bull rush. Keegan has strong hands and does a nice job gripping and latching on once he has his hands on the pass rusher.
7.245 DT Evan Anderson ( Florida Atlantic)
  • Anderson is strong enough in the lower body to hold up at the point of attack, and Anderson displays a good feel as a grappler in the phone booth, consistently getting blockers off-balance before sending them to the ground.
  • A massive man, is tough to move and can surprise opponents with his athleticism.
  • He shows impressive burst and enough quickness to occasionally threaten the edge as a pass rusher.
  • His ability to clog running lanes, however, is a talent highly coveted in the NFL.
  • He has the heavy hands and upper-body strength to win with power. Anderson drops his weight and anchors well against the run, holding up at the point of attack and capable of occupying double teams.
  • Quick off the snap in the pass rush, he has violent hands and a good feel for working inside counter moves.
7th QB Kurtis Rourke (Ohio)
  • Good height and growing build to stand in the pocket.
  • His size and arm strength present some upside if Rourke is indeed continuing to grow into his body.
  • Rourke shows the ability to properly gauge deep receivers and effectively drop it in the bucket downfield. He has the speed and athleticism to make plays with his legs, and he will be capable if asked to run read-option plays.
  • Rourke has enough arm strength to throw the deep out as well.
  • Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.
  • Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
I know most of us want an OT in the 1st. ( So do I),,.but if we resign Tyron, and I think we will, I can see us going with Tyron, Steele, Waletzko and Richards.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
I like most of the players you got, good draft overall. Gallup isn't worth anything though, don't think that trade for a 4th is plausible. I like Rourke but he transferred to Indiana and will play another year of college ball.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Nice draft! Doubt Murphy goes outside the top 20 but I wouldn’t complain.

Not a big fan of FA though. 2 CBs seems like overkill, Kinlaw is more of a pass rusher and don’t think AJ moves the needle for our pass rush.

Overall nice work!

cristglo

Reaction score
I think who we try to resign on defense will depend on if Quinn comes back
need to go get a vet LB or two IMO

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Trading out of the first round would cost more than a 3rd round pick, especially with a rival like Washington.

Overall good draft. I really like Cedric Gray so A+

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Nice draft! Doubt Murphy goes outside the top 20 but I wouldn’t complain.

Not a big fan of FA though. 2 CBs seems like overkill, Kinlaw is more of a pass rusher and don’t think AJ moves the needle for our pass rush.

Overall nice work!
My thoughts on signing both Lewis and Fulton was about having two quality slot CB, especially with Quinn playing so much dime. But, now with Quinn gone I'm hopeful that a new philosophy will help the defense be more consistent, especially, against the run...Green Bay ran something like 56 offensive play's and on about 45 of those plays we had 6 db's or more on the field. Quinn did the same thing against the Bills and Allan said afterwards that running the ball as much as they did wasn't the game plan, but Dallas kept staying in that defense and so we just continued to run the ball and took what they were giving us.
I hope whomever the new DC is that he isn't so stubborn that he refuses to make adjustments.

cnuball21

Reaction score
My thoughts on signing both Lewis and Fulton was about having two quality slot CB, especially with Quinn playing so much dime. But, now with Quinn gone I'm hopeful that a new philosophy will help the defense be more consistent, especially, against the run...Green Bay ran something like 56 offensive play's and on about 45 of those plays we had 6 db's or more on the field. Quinn did the same thing against the Bills and Allan said afterwards that running the ball as much as they did wasn't the game plan, but Dallas kept staying in that defense and so we just continued to run the ball and took what they were giving us.
I hope whomever the new DC is that he isn't so stubborn that he refuses to make adjustments.
If you sign JLew we’re covered. You’ve got Diggs, Bland and Jlew as your starters and a handful of mid rounders as backups that should be ready to play.

Spend the money elsewhere where we have more glaring needs.