Early look at the corner position

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know ppl complain about Brown but I think he has greatly improved since what he was a couple of years ago. I like Brown and Diggs being our starting corners and Lewis coming in as our Nickleback.

Praxit

Reaction score
...wish we had something better than Brown, but has improved. Maybe Quinn nailed that poster above his bed," Look for ball" ...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys have the best secondary in the division. Nobody knows what is going on with the Joseph situation. All we know is he is working out at the Star and Jerry will not get rid of him. I think he will get some type of suspension for optics but I don’t know how the league would rule on it.:huh:

I don't know if he'll be suspended unless he's fingered for having a role larger than riding in the vehicle from which a murder is committed. If his story that he had no idea that was going to happen, it'll be tough to even pin him with conduct detrimental to the league. Goodell might can do it for the fight that preceded the shooting, though.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know ppl complain about Brown but I think he has greatly improved since what he was a couple of years ago. I like Brown and Diggs being our starting corners and Lewis coming in as our Nickleback.

He did play better in this system, making it where replacing him isn't dire. Still, to be the defense we want to be, we need to step it up some.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if he'll be suspended unless he's fingered for having a role larger than riding in the vehicle from which a murder is committed. If his story that he had no idea that was going to happen, it'll be tough to even pin him with conduct detrimental to the league. Goodell might can do it for the fight that preceded the shooting, though.
I don’t know what the league can suspend him on because no one is talking except maybe Joseph. I just think there is pressure from outside sources that want Bossman to pay for the incident. The local media all but asked Jerry to suspend or cut Joseph. This is not going away especially if Joseph plays well and looks like a starter during preseason.

Mr_437

Reaction score
First 4 CBs are set. I guess the competition is with Wright n Bland at CB5. Would like to see the 2nd year guys make a jump to push the vets some, but the group seems solid.

817Gill

Reaction score
Projected Starters

Diggs
Joseph*/Brown (we have no idea if Joseph will be suspended, it appears to be a camp battle)

Lewis/Brown (If Brown loses the starting job, he may replace Lewis as the nickel corner. I believe Lewis was benched last yr late in the season, due to poor play)

Prospects

Nahshon Wright-former day 2 pick, will he force his way onto the field? High pick is expected to play a large role.
Bland-replaces Robinson. Team had a 4th rd grade. Special Teamer this yr. Can he force Goodwin off the roster?
Agree with the sentiment but Lewis was not benched for performance. I believe it was a Covid reason he was out or a minor injury.

Regardless, by any objective measure Lewis had the best year of his career. Still has trouble with quick shifty guys in the slot, but his physicality and ball skills allowed Quinn to use him a bit more like a Nickel S as he’s one of the more physical CB’s we have.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/progress-report-jourdan-lewis-career-year

“Like Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis didn't reach the dizzying highs of Trevon Diggs, but there's no debating that the 2021 season was his best since getting drafted 92nd overall back in 2017.

Lewis played 16 games and made 13 starts as the Cowboys' nickel back, setting career highs for interceptions (3) and pass breakups (11). ProFootballFocus graded Lewis at a decent 62.1 in coverage, with 54 receptions on 81 targets on the year.”

quickccc

Reaction score
Al Harris easily the best assistant brought in by MM.

I expect Wright to make that big second year jump.

He should have that opportunity after Joseph spends an afternoon on Park Ave with Roger.

Even over special teams coach Bones Fassel ?
Or is this more referring to MM's previous past Packers coaching staff ?

I actually thought Harris struggled big time with the 2020 secondary unit when he was the primary secondary coach in the Mike Nolan era, before
Joe Whitt Jr. took over in the Quinn era.

However Dan Quinn did keep three leftovers of Nolan's assistants - ala George Edwards, ..Leon Lett, ..Al Harris ...

quickccc

Reaction score
Projected Starters

Diggs
Joseph*/Brown (we have no idea if Joseph will be suspended, it appears to be a camp battle)

Lewis/Brown (If Brown loses the starting job, he may replace Lewis as the nickel corner. I believe Lewis was benched last yr late in the season, due to poor play)

Prospects

Nahshon Wright-former day 2 pick, will he force his way onto the field? High pick is expected to play a large role.
Bland-replaces Robinson. Team had a 4th rd grade. Special Teamer this yr. Can he force Goodwin off the roster?

1) Diggs
2) Brown
3) Wright
4) Lewis
5) Joseph
6) CJ Goodwin
7) Bland

- Goodwin remains the best special teamer on Bones unit. A reserved spot for him.
- Brown will remain the 2nd CB, as there appears no real competition takers vs him.
- Lewis is still up and down vs big plays, but the team likes him as a 3rd CB role
- Joseph is gonna take a huge step or two back, no starting role for him this year.
- Wright is a leggy unknown and more fit for outside role, still a wait and see
- Bland is a developmental project. Hopefully he becomes Richard Sherman 2.0.

quickccc

Reaction score
We know what the plan is at CB. Diggs, Joseph, and Brown are the starters, with Wright and Lewis as backups. But who's the backups to our safeties? And who's the starting FS?

I'm guessing Donovan Wilson will be the backup for both safety roles.
Malik Hooker seems slated to be the starting FS.

While of course Jayron Kearse remains not only the starting SS but also the defensive signal caller.
Depth wise, much depends upon development of 2nd year " Izzy " (Israel Mukuamu) who the coaches are high on.

Safeties:
1) Kearse
2) Hooker
3) Wilson
4) Izzy M.

Rookies Markese Bell and Juanyeh Thomas are wait and see, and may push for more Practice Squad at the least.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Even over special teams coach Bones Fassel ?
Or is this more referring to MM's previous past Packers coaching staff ?

I actually thought Harris struggled big time with the 2020 secondary unit when he was the primary secondary coach in the Mike Nolan era, before
Joe Whitt Jr. took over in the Quinn era.

However Dan Quinn did keep three leftovers of Nolan's assistants - ala George Edwards, ..Leon Lett, ..Al Harris ...
I'm not a Fassel fan, but even anyone who is can't argue with Harris impact.

I'll admit I was disappointed with the immediate results but everyone gets pass in that Nolan scheme in my book. Can't judge anyone on that.

We haven't produced turnovers at this rate since Coach revamped the secondary for 1981.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm not a Fassel fan, but even anyone who is can't argue with Harris impact.

I'll admit I was disappointed with the immediate results but everyone gets pass in that Nolan scheme in my book. Can't judge anyone on that.

We haven't produced turnovers at this rate since Coach revamped the secondary for 1981.

We also have not blocked these many punts, at this record pace year at special teams since ...... ?

Get the exotic, zany, wild gambling maverick outta da Bones (or control him) and get him closer to being a sound fundamental disciplinary SP coach and
you may have one of the better special teams coaches in the NFL .

fivetwos

Reaction score
We also have not blocked these many punts, at this record pace year at special teams since ...... ?

Get the exotic, zany, wild gambling maverick outta da Bones (or control him) and get him closer to being a sound fundamental disciplinary SP coach and
you may have one of the better special teams coaches in the NFL .
Yeah see I'm not a fan of it in certain cases.

I want to be ultra conservative on ST unless I'm down a bunch of points.

He coaches like he is trying to be noticed.

That said I'm not sure how much free reign Fassel has vs MMs call.

I was trying to compliment Harris more than rip Fassel, so remove the word "easily" from my OP and maybe it works a little better for those who like fake punts inside your own 25 down by 6.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1) Diggs
2) Brown
3) Wright
4) Lewis
5) Joseph
6) CJ Goodwin
7) Bland

- Goodwin remains the best special teamer on Bones unit. A reserved spot for him.
- Brown will remain the 2nd CB, as there appears no real competition takers vs him.
- Lewis is still up and down vs big plays, but the team likes him as a 3rd CB role
- Joseph is gonna take a huge step or two back, no starting role for him this year.
- Wright is a leggy unknown and more fit for outside role, still a wait and see
- Bland is a developmental project. Hopefully he becomes Richard Sherman 2.0.
As I said, we have no idea if Joseph gets suspended or not, we have to assume he is active player until we hear otherwise. Think he has an excellence chance to beat out Brown this yr. Question is, can Wright thrust himself into the competition? Will Lewis be able to hold his spot if Brown doesn't start?

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah see I'm not a fan of it in certain cases.

I want to be ultra conservative on ST unless I'm down a bunch of points.

He coaches like he is trying to be noticed.

That said I'm not sure how much free reign Fassel has vs MMs call.

I was trying to compliment Harris more than rip Fassel, so remove the word "easily" from my OP and maybe it works a little better for those who like fake punts inside your own 25 down by 6.

That was the problem with da Bones ( baaad to da Bones !!) ... not that he's aggressive and a gung-ho gunner, but it' was his timing, spots, moments, situations,
distance and field position that he choice to exploit those gambling aggressive ways.

Those wild blunders were back against the wall, game changing momentum killers. And i''m willing to bet management felt McCarthy should've intervend and made a halt to Bones' foolishness a lot quicker than waiting after the season to address it.

Bones and Mike Nolan disaster are more reasons why I tend to believe this management team no longer believes in McCarthy as the HC they envisioned him to be.
And at some point this season it's gonna rear its ugly head.

quickccc

Reaction score
As I said, we have no idea if Joseph gets suspended or not, we have to assume he is active player until we hear otherwise. Think he has an excellence chance to beat out Brown this yr. Question is, can Wright thrust himself into the competition? Will Lewis be able to hold his spot if Brown doesn't start?

Until the serious off the field legal issues and possible NFL suspensions (or not suspensions) are behind Joseph, i'm not seeing him shoot up
the depth chart and starting lineup. It will be a huge distraction to both him and the Cowboys organization as it is.

And keep in mind that he was already still raw and a work in progress, even before all the off field incidents.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Until the serious off the field legal issues and possible NFL suspensions (or not suspensions) are behind Joseph, i'm not seeing him shoot up
the depth chart and starting lineup. It will be a huge distraction to both him and the Cowboys organization as it is.

And keep in mind that he was already still raw and a work in progress, even before all the off field incidents.
I think that is why Anthony Brown was kept as insurance. They could of freed up 5 million if they released him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That was the problem with da Bones ( baaad to da Bones !!) ... not that he's aggressive and a gung-ho gunner, but it' was his timing, spots, moments, situations,
distance and field position that he choice to exploit those gambling aggressive ways.

Those wild blunders were back against the wall, game changing momentum killers. And i''m willing to bet management felt McCarthy should've intervend and made a halt to Bones' foolishness a lot quicker than waiting after the season to address it.

Bones and Mike Nolan disaster are more reasons why I tend to believe this management team no longer believes in McCarthy as the HC they envisioned him to be.
And at some point this season it's gonna rear its ugly head.
Good points. Makes a lot of sense.

I'd rather get aggressive on trying for picks or slapping at the ball carrier than asking my punter to throw a pass.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think that is why Anthony Brown was kept as insurance. They could of freed up 5 million if they released him.

And they also would not have anyone on board that's reliable and experienced enuff to start in his current role at this time.
why give up that advantage, with so many disadvantage and concerns at your feet ?

Imo, its the wrong time to be thinking of cutting Brown now and giving up such experience and stop gap help at that position, with
so much uncertainty.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And they also would not have anyone on board that's reliable and experienced enuff to start in his current role at this time.
why give up that advantage, with so many disadvantage and concerns at your feet ?

Imo, its the wrong time to be thinking of cutting Brown now and giving up such experience and stop gap help at that position, with
so much uncertainty.
His spot is secure, no matter where he plays, even if he ends up being the #3 corner.