Early Vision For Chauncey Golston?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't see much of a future at all for Golston, honestly. He's Crawford-esque in that he lacks the speed to threaten the corner at DE, so OTs can sit on his power moves and just shut them down. Craw was a zero rushing from DE, and Golston's cut from the same mold. He's got a quick first step that might play at 3T, but I think both Diggy and Craw were better athletes.

His tape screams #4 end to me. Bottom of the roster guy who you can flex to either end or tackle if depth gets dicey, or bring in as an extra body on goal line packages, but you never want to see him starting for 80 snaps. He's about the same caliber talent-wise as Armstrong and Anae, and I like both those guys better for their little bit of edge rushing juice.

I've got no clue why we picked him in the 3rd... this is a guy who should have gone 5th or 6th round.
How could you make such a statement when you haven’t even seen him play in the NFL? A little premature don’t you think?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I can feel myself getting overhyped about this rookie crop.

Could this draft class exceed the contributions of the "dirty Dozen" draft? How about the cowboys defensive draft of 2005?

Many Super Bowl teams can look back to that one draft that was the turning point of their franchise.

For the Steelers, it was the 1974 draft that gave them four HOFers in their first five picks. They included two WR's, their MLB and their center.

For the Ravens, it was their very first draft when their two 1st rounders were HOFers Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden who combined for a total 24 Pro Bowls and 11 1st team All Pro selections.

For the Packers it was their 1958 draft when three of the first five picks were HOFers Jim Taylor, Ray Nitschke, and Jerry Kramer. Six of their first seven picks made at least one pro bowl.

It would be beautiful to have that historic draft, the type that turns the page and begins a new dynasty...…..

…....Okay, I'm back. Anyway, yeah, excited about Golston and the rest of the rookies, hope he can contribute something.
Great post, brother! Now you've got me all fired up!! I also have a very good feeling about this year's draft picks, our new D-Coordinator (thanks to McCarthy willing to immediately fire his old buddy Nolan) and finally a full offseason for McCarthy & Moore to get more creative with the Offensive playbook, while allowing Quinn to use 80% of this year's draft to get picks he feels will fit his scheme.

Can't wait!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't see much of a future at all for Golston, honestly. He's Crawford-esque in that he lacks the speed to threaten the corner at DE, so OTs can sit on his power moves and just shut them down. Craw was a zero rushing from DE, and Golston's cut from the same mold. He's got a quick first step that might play at 3T, but I think both Diggy and Craw were better athletes.

His tape screams #4 end to me. Bottom of the roster guy who you can flex to either end or tackle if depth gets dicey, or bring in as an extra body on goal line packages, but you never want to see him starting for 80 snaps. He's about the same caliber talent-wise as Armstrong and Anae, and I like both those guys better for their little bit of edge rushing juice.

I've got no clue why we picked him in the 3rd... this is a guy who should have gone 5th or 6th round.

This was the feeling that I got. I think they just got really desperate to fix the run defense and are throwing a whole bunch of picks at the problem. Dont see any of these guys as talented pass rushers from the inside.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was the feeling that I got. I think they just got really desperate to fix the run defense and are throwing a whole bunch of picks at the problem. Dont see any of these guys as talented pass rushers from the inside.

Yeah and that's a problem. They overreacted to the run defense and added a bunch of defensive linemen who struggle to get to the quarterback. Both in the draft and free agency.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Bet You Didn't Know: Golston is just the second Iowa Hawkeye to be drafted by the Cowboys during Jerry Jones' tenure as owner and general manager, along with 2014 fourth-round pick Anthony Hitchens.

I knew it....Dallas went TWENTY EIGHT straight years (1986 - 2014) without drafting an Iowa player. When in doubt, draft Hawkeyes....nobody will be as NFL ready, disciplined, or work harder.

The ONLY mistake I ever blame Jimmy for is passing on Merton Hanks in the FIFTH round.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah and that's a problem. They overreacted to the run defense and added a bunch of defensive linemen who struggle to get to the quarterback. Both in the draft and free agency.

I would have much rather seen them take one of those 3rd round picks and moved up into the 2nd round like what the Patriots did when they nabbed Christian Barmore. Loved him as a DT prospect and he was the best DT in the draft.

Mannix

Reaction score
------They overreacted to the run defense and added a bunch of defensive linemen who struggle to get to the quarterback.

??? As Jaclyn would say, "Just watch the tape"

kskboys

Reaction score
Hope you guys are wrong. W/ a new D coach, I'm simply hoping he knows what he's doing. And these guys might surprise you.

FWIW, Golston was a beast at the Senior Bowl, which is often an indicator of pro success.

kskboys

Reaction score
How could you make such a statement when you haven’t even seen him play in the NFL? A little premature don’t you think?
I'd be ecstatic if Golston were Crawford part deux. Craws was a very good player who was grossly overpaid and misused here. Keep Craws at DT where he belonged, don't pay him too much, and let him be a nice rotational type, and he's a good player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hope you guys are wrong. W/ a new D coach, I'm simply hoping he knows what he's doing. And these guys might surprise you.

FWIW, Golston was a beast at the Senior Bowl, which is often an indicator of pro success.

I honestly think the senior bowl was a big factor for them. Apparently, because of the pandemic, the senior bowl was the ONLY thing that the higher ups in the FO actually attended in person. They picked two guys that looked good at the senior bowl that everybody else had rated much lower. I believe it was Goldston and Osa.

I just have a hard time believing that Jerry and CO know something that everyone else doesnt. All our third round picks were reaches.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be ecstatic if Golston were Crawford part deux. Craws was a very good player who was grossly overpaid and misused here. Keep Craws at DT where he belonged, don't pay him too much, and let him be a nice rotational type, and he's a good player.

"Craws" was far from a good player.

You can call him versatile but that really means he was a JAG at two positions.

Only a terrible and fake front office tries to fill a Tyrone Crawford role.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I think these were considered stable picks -- players who are supposed to be ready and able to contribute now instead of just having long-term potential. Essentially high floor, low ceiling. Doesn't mean they won't grow and develop, but maybe we were looking more at the short term than the long term when we took them.
If you’ve got the talent to play and contribute early in the NFL, you’ll probably get better with time.

jnday

Reaction score
Well he's definitely better than Armstrong. If that's all you're looking for you'll be happy with the pick.
This is one of your subtle posts until it actually hits the reader with it’s hard truth. The fact that Armstrong has held a roster spot this long is kinda embarrassing when you think about it. It was those two sacks against Connor Williams during their college days that kept him on the Cowboy’s roster. All if that potential that never panned out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of your subtle posts until it actually hits the reader with it’s hard truth. The fact that Armstrong has held a roster spot this long is kinda embarrassing when you think about it. It was those two sacks against Connor Williams during their college days that kept him on the Cowboy’s roster. All if that potential that never panned out.

I remember those idiots doing their day 2 press conference talking about how they had a target they almost took in round 3 and were worried whether he'd be there in the 4th for them. That player turned out to be Armstrong.

They have no idea what they're doing when drafting defensive linemen.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think Golston is going to be a good player. Iowa players usually are at the very least solid. He’s strong against the run, tough, and plays smart. Rarely blows assignments. It’s a big reason that I always tend to like prospects from Iowa.

I look for him to immediately be part of the DL rotation and at least provide smart, disciplined play.

kskboys

Reaction score
"Craws" was far from a good player.

You can call him versatile but that really means he was a JAG at two positions.

Only a terrible and fake front office tries to fill a Tyrone Crawford role.
He was a good DT, but we played him mostly out of position at DE. Reminds me of Ratliff.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Golston is going to be a good player. Iowa players usually are at the very least solid. He’s strong against the run, tough, and plays smart. Rarely blows assignments. It’s a big reason that I always tend to like prospects from Iowa.

I look for him to immediately be part of the DL rotation and at least provide smart, disciplined play.
While I don't look at either of the two as gamebreakers, they both have the potential to be solid players, and that we dearly need.