Earning the Star

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Is this a real thing, or is it grossly overrated for this team? The older cowboys teams years ago I could see this having so much meaning. Now days does it really matter to this generation. I feel like it's more for guys on the bubble/UDFA'S/Late round picks. Please give your thoughts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is this a real thing, or is it grossly overrated for this team? The older cowboys teams years ago I could see this having so much meaning. Now days does it really matter to this generation. I feel like it's more for guys on the bubble/UDFA'S/Late round picks. Please give your thoughts
These guys weren’t even born when the start meant something…just another team for them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not nothing but it is less than it was back when we were a dynasty. When Jerry is telling a rookie "we are going to put a star on that helmet" it's less a thing earned at training camp and more about just being on the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not with Jerry running the show and the HC and coaching staff have no power.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It means nothing at this point. Make the team, you get the star regardless.
Post of the damn day!!!!!!!!!!!!! So true!! lol all this earning stuff are you kidding me, if anything you earn a paycheck/playing time, who cares about the star!?? There's stars all over your gear they give you in the locker room etc etc sheesh

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good points, what coach in their right mind would ever want to coach here
Many said that about Bill Parcels. He coached here.
I look at it as what coach would not want to coach here. If offered they all most likely would.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Many said that about Bill Parcels. He coached here.
I look at it as what coach would not want to coach here. If offered they all most likely would.
but how do they really feel having the owner engage in things that they shouldn't be, look around the league at how many other owners do the things that Jerry does

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but how do they really feel having the owner engage in things that they shouldn't be, look around the league at how many other owners do the things that Jerry does
They do, just that Jerry puts himself in front of the camera to yap. And the media follows him around.

And how many fans on here pay attention to what other teams do and say. They do not watch their PC's and any on here don't even watch the Cowboys. They see a headline and spew the same thing a good part of the time.

We do not know how much Jerry actually engages himself from that aspect. It seems like he does, but we really do not know.
He is not telling he coaches who to play or how much. He is not calling the plays. As much as fans want to think that, he is not.

Reaction score
Tom Brady recently said it best that today’s players are “self-focused” instead of “team-focused”. He referenced their social media accounts & branding. He said “there was a difference between being a star and being a champion." Hmm, maybe CD & Paraons should take note.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It still has meaning and it isn't over rated. It is a huge deal for these guys. The meaning however has changed. It opens up all kinds of doors. Money, fame, sponsorship, branding. It is still a dream come true for these guys only their dream has changed and it is not in line with the dream of the average fan.

The football itself is just something they must suffer through now to receive the benefits. Once the regular season is over it is time to go baby.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You mean like telling rookies which number to wear?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You mean like telling rookies which number to wear?
Yeah fivetwos, you've been wearing this number allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll your football days, because I can change your life, YOU'RE going to wear the number I tell you, and you'll like it!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The term should have meaning for every player and with no exception. Players seldom play up to the representation of being associated with the Dallas Cowboys franchise for four consecutive quarters each game.

The usual effort is one, two or three quarters of good hardnosed professional football reminiscent of players coached by Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson or perhaps even Bill Parcells. Throw in Barry Switzer for players who continued to shine within Johnson's afterglow. The effort transitions to just getting by for usually three, two, or one quarter.

Even old rivalries have lost much of their previous meanings. It has been strange watching players huddled up before games, screaming and testifying at each other, before playing Philadelphia, New York or Washington. That same group level of energy and projected determination melts away. Sometimes a little bit at a time. Other times, just swoosh! Looking like slabs of meat, hanging over sideline benches, waiting for the games to end.

'Earning the Star' used to be something people strove for from their first day as a Dallas Cowboy to their last. Nowadays? Well. It isn't anything like it used to be, lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah fivetwos, you've been wearing this number allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll your football days, because I can change your life, YOU'RE going to wear the number I tell you, and you'll like it!!!
Well, I think Lamb wore 2 in college, but wanted 10 in the pros.

Jerry calls and tells him to wear 88 because of his dead friend. Really Jerry? Is that why? Or because you’d sell more jerseys with 88 on them?

rags747

Reaction score
Earning the star was first introduced by Parcells, this does not go back to the Landry or Johnson days.