Earth to Kellen Moore

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Please stop trying to restrict Dak from running! I think I've figured out why Dak is struggling with time to throw and lanes to run. Have you noticed how when he runs lately, he will pull up a bit for a second or two and then take off as he approaches the line? Look at some.of the sacks or short runs today he had. You'll see how he runs up, stops to look downfield, and then tries to run after only to get hit for maybe a 2 yard gain. I think that's coached. It looks as though he's coached to try one more time to throw it to protect him. The problem with doing this is that extra two seconds is more dangerous to Dak than if he is just greenlighted to run. The reason is because he's got a Lane where he's got maybe a LB at worst or a DB to face. With what he's doing now, he's giving the dline an extra 2 seconds to get to him. Why is this significant and more dangerous to Dak? Let's look at Dak's measurements. He's 6'2" and 228 lbs. That extra two seconds means he's got a 300+ lineman falling on him. If he's allowed to run, most LB he plays are about 240-250 lbs. If he's taking on a DB, they're probably around 200 lbs. Those are significant weight differences. Thus, Dak has a better chance of breaking a tackle from one of those as opposed to a DLineman. Additionally, it means he is hesitating because he is having to look down field one more time. This leaves the ball and important body parts exposed to a big hit. If he runs, he can slide or try to juke. Additionally, if he runs, it gives defences a reason to freeze to take notice of his running. If he's just going to take that extra second or two, dbs aren't going to bite on that. Therefore, it is smarter to let Dak run more than make him try to look one more time. Dak is a capable runner. Use that capability.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Please stop trying to restrict Dak from running! I think I've figured out why Dak is struggling with time to throw and lanes to run. Have you noticed how when he runs lately, he will pull up a bit for a second or two and then take off as he approaches the line? Look at some.of the sacks or short runs today he had. You'll see how he runs up, stops to look downfield, and then tries to run after only to get hit for maybe a 2 yard gain. I think that's coached. It looks as though he's coached to try one more time to throw it to protect him. The problem with doing this is that extra two seconds is more dangerous to Dak than if he is just greenlighted to run. The reason is because he's got a Lane where he's got maybe a LB at worst or a DB to face. With what he's doing now, he's giving the dline an extra 2 seconds to get to him. Why is this significant and more dangerous to Dak? Let's look at Dak's measurements. He's 6'2" and 228 lbs. That extra two seconds means he's got a 300+ lineman falling on him. If he's allowed to run, most LB he plays are about 240-250 lbs. If he's taking on a DB, they're probably around 200 lbs. Those are significant weight differences. Thus, Dak has a better chance of breaking a tackle from one of those as opposed to a DLineman. Additionally, it means he is hesitating because he is having to look down field one more time. This leaves the ball and important body parts exposed to a big hit. If he runs, he can slide or try to juke. Additionally, if he runs, it gives defences a reason to freeze to take notice of his running. If he's just going to take that extra second or two, dbs aren't going to bite on that. Therefore, it is smarter to let Dak run more than make him try to look one more time. Dak is a capable runner. Use that capability.
Link is to where Kellen said he forbids Dak from making plays with his legs.

The problem is more likely that, for whatever reason, Dak just can not do it

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

If you think Dak not running is what is ailing this offense then you arent paying attention.

Moore is smart for not running Dak more.

Loso86

Reaction score
Umm, I HIGHLY DOUBT it's anybody but Dak who's keeping him from running. The guy just seems a little scared to do it now, when it's an obvious first down or positive yards he just will not do it. It's not coaches or scheme it's DAK!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why do you think Kellen is doing this?

I suspect because he's worried about injuring Dak. The problem is he's taking DAK'S best ability away. As I explained in another thread, it's sort of like having Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo and telling them when one on one with the keeper to pass rather than shoot to protect them from a collision with the keeper. You know 9 times out of 10 they'll beat the keeper. But, because you're so frightened of the 10% chance, you take away from them what makes them Messi or Ronaldo. This can cause them to lose confidence in themselves and in you as a manager. Just the same, Moore is risking ruining some of DAK'S confidence by trying to be overprotective. What you should do is let the player do what he does best and trust him to protect himself.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you think Dak not running is what is ailing this offense then you arent paying attention.

Moore is smart for not running Dak more.

I get protecting Dak, but at some point, you gotta let Dak do what he does best. As stated, I saw plays where I saw him look like he was going to run, pull up, and then try to go again after taking another look. In those situations, he should run it than pull up because he's otherwise giving linemen an extra couple of seconds to catch up to him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I get protecting Dak, but at some point, you gotta let Dak do what he does best. As stated, I saw plays where I saw him look like he was going to run, pull up, and then try to go again after taking another look. In those situations, he should run it than pull up because he's otherwise giving linemen an extra couple of seconds to catch up to him.

Dak thrives in the spread, hurry up formation out of the shotgun.

We seem to only goto that offense at the end of halves or in desperation time.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Link is to where Kellen said he forbids Dak from making plays with his legs.

The problem is more likely that, for whatever reason, Dak just can not do it

I do not know if Moore has made it public. However, to me, the way Dak pulls up and stops and then tries to run looks coached. I think Moore would have told Dak to run by now if he saw that if he wasn't trying to get Dak to not run. That's what it looks like to me.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Bingo. Jerry said after the injury last year that our QB shouldn’t be running. Now it’s taken a huge club out of his bag and he’s not the same player
He's was fine prior to Denver, but whatever Dak is doing, Moore needs to figure something else out. Looks to me that Dak isn't confident in tight window throws all of a sudden. He needs to let it rip.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak thrives in the spread, hurry up formation out of the shotgun.

We seem to only goto that offense at the end of halves or in desperation time.

That and it helps when he runs. Him running freezes the defence. Doing that means they have to account for his running ability, which helps open more Lanes for his WRs. Thus, the two work hand in hand.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He's was fine prior to Denver, but whatever Denver is doing, Moore needs to figure something else out. Looks to me that Dak isn't confident in tight window throws all of a sudden. He needs to let it rip.

Think about it. The Broncos game was his first game back after the Patriots game. He injured his leg in the Patriots game. Seems to me since then, he's been restricted more than he was before that. I think they need to take the reigns off Dak and let him do what he does best. Trust Dak. That will help him get confidence back.