EA's Exclusive Contract With The NFL May Be Voided!

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
What are the long-term ramifications for the league?

Barring a new CBA, the players either will be on strike or the owners will lock out the players in 2008. The union likely will decertify, and antitrust rules will apply. Also, the NFL draft will go away in 2008 as part of a clause inserted in the current CBA. Players coming out of college could be free agents, with no salary restrictions. Open negotiations, including those for rookies coming out of college, will leave it to the players to get what they can get.

Now, pay attention, cause this is a bit complicated. The current problems in the NFL between the league and the players association might make the EA/NFL contract void. This is because if the union decertifies, then anti-trust rules will apply. If this happens, then EA is out of luck. Antitrust laws would be in effect and the contract would be voided. (EA signed a deal with both the NFLPA and NFL so at the least, other companies could use the players, but not the actual team names. Not a big deal really, since we know who they would be referring to.)

Just to recap, the NFLPA may decertify itself in order to keep a lockout from occuring. This in essence will make antitrust laws apply. The NFLPA will decertify if no agreement is reached to extend the CBA. Keep an eye on this people, we know it is a lot of "ifs" but stranger things have happened. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update: Since the current CBA runs until 2008, they would not de-certify until then we have been told. This means on the off chance this happens, we still have to put up with 2 more years of EA. If you want to read up a bit on anti-trust law, check it out here.

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/1574/

for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

THE GRYPHON

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Holy mackerol!!!!!

2008 and no EA games? Dang it - I'm hiding all my Madden games and I'm not opening my door -

All chicken little - remmber as I have been stating all week this is a SOFT deadline. Yes some players are going to be cut, but most were anyway....

And both sides can agree at any point here and strike a new deal with new caps etc. Real deadline - JMO is a year from now.

As a Cowboy fan with Cap $ - BRING IT - AND SCREW ALL THE MISMANAGED TEAMS TOMORROW.:lmao:

notherbob

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but who or what is EA? Early American? European Alliance? What do they (he/she) have to do with football?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
EA Sports is a video game company that markets pro-sports games for the x-box, playstation, etc....

Large market of consumers both young and old.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
First, I'm not sure of this guy's interpretation of the law. This may be a lot more complicated than he thinks. Second, even so, this DOES NOT mean EA Madden games won't exist. It just means they won't have a 'monopoly' on the rights to players' names. That certainly wouldn't stop them from making Madden.

calico

Reaction score
Very interesting news indeed. ALOT of people hate the Madden franchise and this would be music to their ears.

I don't like EA having exclusive rights because they have no competition and lets face it, the game has not changed much in 5 years...I did not even bother buying last years attempt.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm disappointed in the franchise as well. You can't truly scout players, you can't trade for picks past a year, I want video highlights of every player i'm interested in drafting. I hope it breaks up, so we can get some other companies involved in the franchise. That would make it way better.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
EA = Electonic Arts.

btw ... in 1988 the came out with a game called Wasteland ... BEST ... GAME ... EVER ... when adjusted for computer capabilites inflation. :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
NorthTexan95 said:
EA = Electonic Arts.

btw ... in 1988 the came out with a game called Wasteland ... BEST ... GAME ... EVER ... when adjusted for computer capabilites inflation. :)
The best game ever adjusted for computer capabilities is without a doubt, Sid Meier's Pirates.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
As long as it allows ESPN NFL series to come back then who cares.

Madden has been on a drastic decline for years now and just isn't close to being the product it once was.

notherbob

Reaction score
Nors said:
Life without EA Games is life not worth living!

Or, from my perspective: Out here on the ranch, life is so interesting that I don't need or want any computer games. The two football forums that I fool around with are more than enough of a waste of my time as it is. I almost never watch TV except for real pro football games. Life is endlessly fascinating out here in the creek bottom where the Hill Country and the Cross Timbers meet the Prairie and I don't need much diversion anymore. I enjoy the forums though because they expose me to many varied opinions and I enjoy reading almost all of them whether I agree with them or not.

It takes all of us to make a world. :D

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
no more EA contract?

so hopefully this means the pathetic Madden series will once again take the back seat to ESPN NFL 2k

Eddie

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
As long as it allows ESPN NFL series to come back then who cares.

Madden has been on a drastic decline for years now and just isn't close to being the product it once was.

EA has put out the same football game for the past 6 years. They throw up a different cover, add in a roster update, some bells and whistles (QB Vision Cone, etc), and charge stupid consumers $50 every year for the same game.

ESPN NFL 2k5 came out and punched them in the mouth. Instead of working hard to compete, they brought up the exclusive rights to the NFL and NCAA football.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Eddie said:
EA has put out the same football game for the past 6 years. They throw up a different cover, add in a roster update, some bells and whistles (QB Vision Cone, etc), and charge stupid consumers $50 every year for the same game.

ESPN NFL 2k5 came out and punched them in the mouth. Instead of working hard to compete, they brought up the exclusive rights to the NFL and NCAA football.

:hammer:

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
Eddie said:

I couldn't have said it any better myself and that's why I could care less if there's another Madden game or not. ESPN NFL 2k5 was by far the best football game I've ever played gameplay wise and it was also for the best price being only $19.99. All around great game and it's sad to see Madden take the easy way out and buy out the contract rather than producing a better product.

VirusX

Reaction score
You guys run outta stuff to b**** about so time to cry about madden? lol

Not even going to get into the "same game" arguement.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Eddie said it best, ESPN made them drop the price down to $29.99, after the exclusive contract EA did a 180 and kept a tight hold on the prices, not to mention charge you an extra ten bucks if you want the 360 version.

Myself, my main gripes with them has been the NCAA version. Considering how long they've had that game the changes made each year are almost laughable, too bad they don't have competition to make them actually try.

calico

Reaction score
The thing that sucks is that I did not like the 2k series and I grew bored of Madden.

I would like a game in between both of them...if that makes sense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
calico said:
Very interesting news indeed. ALOT of people hate the Madden franchise and this would be music to their ears.

Yea, they are the ones who are terrible at it, or only want to shell out $20 for the subpar ESPN 2k series game, or don't play video games at all and think they are a waste of time.

i personally take offense to this :banghead:lol