WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: And away we go ...

mwoodym112: What kind of game plan do you think the Steelers will come up with to block Demarcus Ware? I know that he is listed as day to day, but he destroyed Walter Jones last week, and was almost unblockable.

Ed Bouchette: You have to double-team him -- put a tight end over there to help the tackle, or a back. Plus, I don't think you'll see many 7-step drops.

Chris_-_Cincinnati: I'm usually not one of those "we get no respect" people, but why am I reading about Albert Haynesworth for Defensive Player of the Year or even MVP, but not James Harrison?! Harrison has much better numbers and players on a better D.

Ed Bouchette: I believe there are many who have written about Harrison, including Ron Cook right here last week, and his MVP chances.

Beltin_Delton: Although most of the talk centers around the QBs, any chance James Harrison could win NFL MVP honors? Besides the stats he's compiled on the NFL's top-rated defense, one could make the case that the Steelers don't win games vs. Baltimore, San Diego and maybe even the Pats without his stellar play.

Ed Bouchette: MVP is usually reserved for offensive players, so I think he's more a candidate for defensive player of the year.

Terrible_Trousers: Easy Ed, One sack, and as you pointed out in the coverage, it was on a corner blitz that wasn't seen by the QB ... Is the O-line rounding in to form, getting used to playing with each other, or did they just play one good game?

Ed Bouchette: I think it's all of that. They've been playing together for awhile now, but they also played against the Bengals the week before and a depleted Patriots pass rush this past week. Remember, it's not all the line, either. Tight ends are involved, receivers aware of hot routes and QB getting rid of the ball quickly.

Terrible_Trousers: I know Tomlin likes to play the whole "We put it with the others and move forward" card after a big win, but did he seem a bit more pumped than usual? He had to really like the performance.

Ed Bouchette: What was there not to like? There are many who still believe the Patriots cheated them out of a Super Bowl or 2, and Tomlin had to go against that stuff once when he was in Minnesota.

JWOLFE: Have you seen Troy play any better than he is right now?
Ed Bouchette: I don't know about better, but he's been at the top of his game for a long time, except when he played through various injuries last season.

Sterling_MASS_Steelers_fan: Ed - heard you interviewed last week on WEEI in Boston. Of course they had to ask you about Anthony Smith's latest comments, as that was the Boston's medias main topic leading up to the game vs the Pats. Now the're all over the Ryan Clark hit as you can imagine 24/7! Discussing and debating the hit is one thing but now they're accusing Clark and Mike Tomlin laughing about it on the sidelines. I can't imagine that was the case but is that being talked about at all in Pittsburgh?

Ed Bouchette: We've moved on here. First, I did not see them laughing and if they were laughing how does anyone know what they were laughing about? Second, losers love to point fingers.

Jacque_Strap: When he was hired, Mike Tomlin was compared in the media more favorably to Chuck Noll than Bill Cowher. In hindsight, do you think that is accurate? He seems to be a good mix of both, he can get pretty hyped up on the sideline.

Ed Bouchette: I agree that he has a little of both mixed in.

hinestheman: Ed, what is your take on the Ryan Clark hit? How in the world is he supposed to pull back? The hit looked bad, but wasn't that a legal hit? How different was that hit from the one Santonio took the week before in which Crocker wasn't penalized??

Ed Bouchette: Santonio was more bang-bang, even though it was a big bang. Clark launched himself and it came on a pass that already was tipped away and it appeared that Welker had given up on it when he was hit. As you know, I'm not in favor of the pansy league stuff, but I believe they made the correct call on that one.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: James Harrison, Defensive Player of the Year? Do you think he has a shot? What if he finishes with 20 sacks?

Ed Bouchette: Sacks are not everything, but they do draw a lot of attention and if there's another defender playing better than Harrison, I have not seen him.

hinestheman: Good Morning Ed, this question was asked of you a couple of weeks ago and you weren't ready to answer then. I think you may be more inclined today. Here is comes: "Greene / Lloyd" or "Harrison / Woodley"?

Ed Bouchette: A tossup.

JWOLFE: Are we seeing signs of a young offensive line starting to gel or did we simply take advantage of a beaten up Patriots front?

Ed Bouchette: As I said before, a little of both.

coldservings: Ed, it sounds as if there will be problems with the players and the league agreeing on a new CBA. And word has it there will no longer be a salary cap because of it after next year. Jerry Jones is already splurging in anticipation of just such a scenario. How will the Steeler organization be effected without the cap?

Ed Bouchette: I believe they would operate in the same way as they do now. They are in no position to pay out the kind of salaries and bonuses that select others, such as Dallas and Washington, can. They certainly won't be in a better position once Dan Rooney takes on more debt to buy the team.

Y-townsteeler: Ed, I realize that there can be a holding call on just about every play, but does it appear to be a little more blatant when it comes to Harrison and Woodley? Am I being biased or do you agree? Unfortunately, I live in Clown Country and they're not men enough to tell me the truth!

Ed Bouchette: I think it's a little of both -- you are biased yet so am I since I see every Steelers game and I see Harrison being held up by as many as three blockers. Joe Greene had an answer for that; unfortunately, they throw you out of the game for that these days.

adambomb300: Ed, have there been any 'wildcat' sightings in practice? Just wondering if a little trickery may help jump-start the offense, and help keep defenses more on their toes.

Ed Bouchette: Wildcats are for *****cats, like the Miami Dolphins.

MarkMalone: Has William Gay surpassed Townsend on the depth chart?
Ed Bouchette: It's hard to tell because Deshea was injured. Yes, he played Sunday and Gay started but I'm not sure that's an indication. We may really find out this week when Bryant McFadden returns.

stuckinflorida: Hey Ed, How surprised were you that Timmons was gassed before he reached the end zone? Do you think he was really gassed or were my eyes deceiving me and he was really just pulling a Leon Lett thinking he was the only one on that side of midfield?

Ed Bouchette: Put on the pads and try to run 90 yards while someone chases you. I don't care how young you are, you're likely to be gassed. He is a big linebacker, not a little corner. I think he ran out of steam, much the way Andy Russell did in that 1975 playoff game against Baltimore at Three Rivers Stadium. Russell had more of an excuse, though, because he was an older player.

Ben_Stiller: Ed, Darnell ("The Stapler") Stapleton looked like he tweaked on leg on one play during the NE game... any info on that?

Ed Bouchette: All I can tell you is he did not leave the game and he was not mentioned on the list of injuries today.

chooch79: Doesn't every defensive player "leave their feet" when they make a tackle?

Ed Bouchette: "Launch" is the operative word.

manageexpectations: Do you agree with the notion we are not that good and the Pats are not that bad?

Ed Bouchette: No

chooch79: Following up on a question from last week; I realize the final 15 have not yet been determined but who do you think will make this year's HOF induction class?

Ed Bouchette: Woodson, Bruce Smith, for two. I have not really studied it that closely yet. I'd like to see Derrick Thomas get in. You know my feelings on Dermontti Dawson. It is wide open.

jivenut: Any chance Nate's contract gets extended, or will Sweed move into his spot?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I do think there's a chance, but they're going to bid on a No. 3 receiver while others may see him as a starter and would offer more.

chooch79: Have you seen anyone come up with a name for the newest sack tandem leaders in Steeler history? How about the Steel City Choppers?

Ed Bouchette: Don't like that, but I'm open for suggestions.

chooch79: You obviously have experienced a number of bad weather games over the years Ed ... on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad was it on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: It was a cold rain. Miami last year here was worse because of the field. Field in New England was great. It ranked up there. Among the worst was AFC title game against Houston at 3 rivers in a sideway rain.

carlnicklas: The defense was awesome against the Patriots except for a couple of long runs. Do you think they will be as effective against the Cowboys?

Ed Bouchette: I would say so, because no one has been able to run against them this season except, as you point out, the Pats series before the half and right after it -- neither of which ended with a score.

AmericanU_SteelersFan: Ed, how is Willie Parker holding up, even on his long run he seemed to be hurting. I think FWP from 2007 would've taken that the distance

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin said today he is not 100 percent but he's healthy enough. I would look for him and Moore to again split the duties, not only for that reason but because it was so effective in New England.

manageexpectations: I am glad Welker is not hurt but I loved seeing him glassy eyed. Is that wrong?

Ed Bouchette: Sooooo wrong on so many levels I don't want to count them. But I understand how you feel.

chooch79: Any truth the the rumor that P-Diddy is covering "Lawyers, Guns and Money" as Plex' new theme song?

Ed Bouchette: It was only one man, one gun, one bullet.

Steeler_Fan_In_Tampa: I remember seeing a quote after last years loss to the Patriots, from one of their O-linemen I believe, saying that he was told that the Steelers were going to be a physical team, and that he wasn't all that impressed. Did any of the players mention that quote being a motivator for this years game?

Ed Bouchette: From what I understand there was plenty of that kind of motivation for the Steelers and they hid it very well in the week leading up to it.

rbird: Do you see us throwing a little more to open the game Sunday against a suspect Cowboy secondary?

Ed Bouchette: I've stopped trying to guess what the Steelers offense is going to do. I've been schooled too long in the old-school style and it's not that way anymore.

BuddyToledo: A bad game against the Patriots seem to be enough for Tomlin to bench a free safety (despite his overall reluctance to replace starters). Are we going to see Ryan Clark replaced after whiffing a tackle on Kevin Faulk, being broken down and toasted by Moss who luckily couldn't hold onto the ball, and generally not being near the play for any of the deep passes that the Patriots couldn't hold on to?

Ed Bouchette: The only way Clark is benched is if it comes from the NFL, and I don't expect that to happen. Say hello to Anthony for us.

rbird: Ed, would you think Sunday's win over the Patriots was the biggest of Tomlin's early career?

Ed Bouchette: It was big, certainly. I'm trying to remember one that was bigger -- here against Baltimore last season was pretty big at the time.
sinmusic: Have you ever seen Casey Hampton so fired up?

Ed Bouchette: Not that I can remember. He has a good look about him when he's angry, too.

stumpy_howe: Any issues with the new sod at Heinz?

Ed Bouchette: Pitt won on it and I did not see any issues that day, so I would think not. Does not mean some can't develop during the game Sunday, though.

AmericanU_SteelersFan: Ed, the Steelers have played two very good games in a row. Still predicting 11-5?

Ed Bouchette: That's up from 9/7 to 10-6, too. They can finish 12-4 and may have to to get the No. 2 seed.

AmericanU_SteelersFan: Ed, looking at the Steelers 3 losses, do you think they would beat those teams if they played them again?

Ed Bouchette: Not the Giants, that's too presumptuous. Plus, which teams are they playing again? The ones they played at that time, like the Eagles, or the Eagles of today?

chooch79: Will the long layoff help or hurt Pacman (sorry, Mr. Adam Jones) this week?

Ed Bouchette: Pacman is used to long layoffs, we do know that.

sinmusic: Ed, Which team will be desperate enough next year to sign both Burress and Vick together?

Ed Bouchette: The Raiders?

AmericanU_SteelersFan: Ed, what do you think the Steelers have done to turn around their awful road record from last season? They are 5-1 at the moment against some very good teams.

Ed Bouchette: I asked Mike Tomlin that question today. I asked if he could explain why they had a better record on the road this season than at home. He answered it's because they have two losses at home and just one on the road. I thanked him for that.

Tom_M.: Should we be nervous that Limas Sweed can't move ahead of #85? He drops a lot of easy catches and at the worst times.

Ed Bouchette: A chip off the old block?

sinmusic: Ed, I read your Q and A about the Steelers not making a splash in free agency. But, do you think we'd sign more special teams contributors like Keyaron Fox?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers love to find value in free agency, not over-pay, so they'll always look for guys like that.

PittsburghPete: ED, are you aware of anything wrong with Ben's legs or feet? Talk about rumblin' bumblin' stumblin', it didn't look like anyone touched him when he fell short of the first down near the goal line in the first half. He is looking like the second coming of Bernie Kosar.

Ed Bouchette: I said that on TV last week and they were surprised, because he had run for a TD vs. Cincy and a first down in that game. However, I agree, he's not the same runner. Maybe that comes with age and injuries. He hasn't had a knee injury that I'm aware of this year, although he did in 2005.

Stonehands_Ike: Will Jessica Simpson be attending the game?

Ed Bouchette: We can always dream. The Cowboys cheerleaders, I'm told, will not be. Jessica seems to be taking a low profile so even if she attends, she might be incognito.

Lefty_Leftwich: Ed, do you feel the Steelers could wrap up the division title if they win the next two games or would any two out of the next four seal the deal?
Ed Bouchette: The next 2 surely would do it. 2 of the next four could also do it, even losing to Baltimore.

Steeler_Fan_in_BMore: What % of fans in the stadium were Steeler fans on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: Not as many as I've seen, except at the end when 99 percent of the fans in the final 3 minutes were Steelers fans.

Ed Bouchette: Times up. The saddest two words I've heard today. But I'm only contracted for 30 minutes and if I go over that, I get a sharp pain in my head, from my fist punching me in the temple. See you next Tuesday.

First published on December 2, 2008 at 2:24 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08337/932175-66.stm

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. You missed a blurb. It was the first one too :)

mwoodym112: What kind of game plan do you think the Steelers will come up with to block Demarcus Ware? I know that he is listed as day to day, but he destroyed Walter Jones last week, and was almost unblockable.

Ed Bouchette: You have to double-team him -- put a tight end over there to help the tackle, or a back. Plus, I don't think you'll see many 7-step drops.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Wow, no respect whatsoever. Almost every Cowboy blurb was some sort of joke.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2457830 said:

Probably because it was a Steelers chat in a Pittsburgh newspaper.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Here is one more...

carlnicklas: The defense was awesome against the Patriots except for a couple of long runs. Do you think they will be as effective against the Cowboys?

Ed Bouchette: I would say so, because no one has been able to run against them this season except, as you point out, the Pats series before the half and right after it -- neither of which ended with a score.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2457838 said:
Probably because it was a Steelers chat in a Pittsburgh newspaper.

LOL, yes, I know that, but I would expect better from the fine folks in the Steel town. I don't recall Cowboy chats making mockeries of the opposing team, but I've been wrong before.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
we better not play any soft coverages against the average at best Steelers offense. with their weak o-line we will see a lot of quick passes from Big Ben. Our defense has been much more aggressive as of late dont get me wrong ive been pleased with the defensive gameplans for the most part but still theres brainfarts by our defense at times givin the opponents easy first downs because they give the receivers 8 yard cushions. Dont let Pittsburgh off the hook!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
viman96;2457812 said:
Thanks for the post. You missed a blurb. It was the first one too :)
Sorry about that. Thanks. :)

viman96;2457844 said:
Here is one more...
Shoot. I guess I scanned it too quickly.

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2457846 said:
LOL, yes, I know that, but I would expect better from the fine folks in the Steel town. I don't recall Cowboy chats making mockeries of the opposing team, but I've been wrong before.

Plus, Ed Bouchette is a tool. He mocks Steelers fans quite often and his chats always have that same tone.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score

From reading their media and forums, I agree with you. They are overlooking us. There's mention how our team is an overrated joke and our owner is a spotlight ***** who interferes with the coach (unlike their Rooney). There are some mention of Baltimore after us being a bigger game, and others are trying to still enjoy the first domination of the pats on the road since 1997.

I want this team crushed in a national spotlight. Hate them and their fans who feel superior in every way.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

That is exactly how every out of town writer and national writer talks about Dallas.

A. Talk about owens complaining.
B. Talk about pacman being a distraction.
C. Bring up and make a jessica simpson joke.
D. How Jerry Jones had plastic surgery.

You barely ever see any of these guys talk about the play of andre gurode, how good nick folk is, Anthony spencer, How really great Jason Witten is and talk about romo honestly. No one ever talks about Romo in the terms he should be talked about. The guys is terrific, but its always a jessica simpson joke, a playoff choke joke (which are all completely off) or something dumb about him playing golf in the offseason.

They never talk about the quality of football our team plays, always stupid crap. It really speaks to how poor most of the media and the writers are in most markets.

We absolutely manhandled sf and seattle. Nationally and locally it gets played as well they should, THeir Dallas. Which is diminishing how well we have been playing.

When the giants went to OT with Cincy, Beat jt osullivan and the niners and Seneca wallace and the hawks they were called, focused, dominant and the best coached team in the league by national writers.

When Dallas beat those Teams with their better players in the lineup it was diminished and all the national writers said they are supposed to.

I expect alot of this all week from Pittsburgh. Much like when we play philly. Its the same element there as in philly. I can only imagine how bad the sports radio shows are there.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Da Hammer;2457847 said:
with their weak o-line we will see a lot of quick passes from Big Ben.

Isn't that an oxymoron? I watched Big Ben as far back as his college days, and I don't think I've ever seen a "quick" pass from him.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2457858 said:
Plus, Ed Bouchette is a tool. He mocks Steelers fans quite often and his chats always have that same tone.

So he's your version of Mickey Spagnola huh?

At least we both have two journalists that we think are tools

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Entertaining guy but a big time homer. How come we don't have any homers like that in Dallas. Ok, besides me.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2457864 said:
From reading their media and forums, I agree with you. They are overlooking us. There's mention how our team is an overrated joke and our owner is a spotlight ***** who interferes with the coach (unlike their Rooney). There are some mention of Baltimore after us being a bigger game, and others are trying to still enjoy the first domination of the pats on the road since 1997.

I want this team crushed in a national spotlight. Hate them and their fans who feel superior in every way.

Yes. Join me in the hatred. We hates them.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2457912 said:
So he's your version of Mickey Spagnola huh?

At least we both have two journalists that we think are tools

Mickey never downplays the opponent in this manner. Though I agree that he is a tool.

cmacch

Reaction score
Whatever, let them all say what they want. It will make it that much sweeter when we beat the crap out of them :)