Edmunds went only 3 spots ahead of Vander Esch!

Creeper

Reaction score
Had the Cowboys not won that last game against the 2nd string Eagles, they would have been picking 16th. But, I think they would have taken LVE anyway because it appears they locked on to him a while ago. This is why they will never win under Jerry. LVE was nowhere near the best player available at 19 in my opinion.

The Giants and Eagles are ahead of Dallas right now on paper. We'll see how injuries go.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Had the Cowboys not won that last game against the 2nd string Eagles, they would have been picking 16th. But, I think they would have taken LVE anyway because it appears they locked on to him a while ago. This is why they will never win under Jerry. LVE was nowhere near the best player available at 19 in my opinion.

The Giants and Eagles are ahead of Dallas right now on paper. We'll see how injuries go.
The Giants ahead of Dallas? Because they draft a RB with no OL and an aging QB. Giants might be 4th in the division right now

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If we were going to trade for Earl Thomas, why not for Erwin James? That would have made more sense. Now we get a soon to be often injuried linebacker

Because trading a second for Thomas means Dallas gets to use its first-round pick on LVE, so the team would get two first-round talents and still have the rest of its draft picks to use. Pro Bowl safety plus first-round linebacker > first-round safety and no third-round pick.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Earl for 2nd rounder and you keep your 1st and 3rd. 3 players.
Trade up for James even with a 1+3, you only get two players.

If they trade for Earl Thomas after passing on James, I am going to lose my mind.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
why? James didn't fall to 19

Because he was 2 spots away and they have 10 picks. How do you not move up and get him? Instead people want to give up 50 for an aging S who has been injured the last 2 seasons and wants around $14 million a season.

In my opinion they got focused in on LVE and lost sight of what was happening around them.

Edmunds is the best LB in this draft and they didn't try to get him either.

btcutter

Reaction score
Because he was 2 spots away and they have 10 picks. How do you not move up and get him? Instead people want to give up 50 for an aging S who has been injured the last 2 seasons and wants around $14 million a season.

In my opinion they got focused in on LVE and lost sight of what was happening around them.

1. You need a partner who's willing to trade
2. Not willing to give up a 3rd rounder who is potentially a core contributor to move up 2 spots.
3. Edmunds maybe physically gifted but his instinct is questionable. He's the boom or bust player. I am not interested in him. To me you can't teach instinct.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
1. You need a partner who's willing to trade
2. Not willing to give up a 3rd rounder who is potentially a core contributor to move up 2 spots.
3. Edmunds maybe physically gifted but his instinct is questionable. He's the boom or bust player. I am not interested in him. To me you can't teach instinct.

I hope you are right about Edmunds. I am probably just irritated because I was hoping Edmunds or James would fall and both did.

btcutter

Reaction score
I hope you are right about Edmunds. I am probably just irritated because I was hoping Edmunds or James would fall and both did.

We will have to live with what we got.
I was getting little excited with James was falling fast but..... to no avail.....wish NO would have taken Jackson instead of Davenport and pushed more players down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wouldve been nice.
It sounds like the trade up possibiles werent good from 19 though

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I hope the neck is okay, and I hope this pick makes me eat crow. I know it takes two to tango, but Edmunds and James were both within striking distance and we didn't make the move to go get them.

With that being said there are some great players still on the board, and if we didn't trade up for the two previously mentioned I hope we do not trade up now unless it's a 3rd-day pick.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We did.

Leighton Vander Esch worked out at the Star and spent significant time with Sean Lee when he was here. They thought he was a Brian Urlacher 2.0 and DC Rod Marinelli coached Urlacher in Chicago #Cowboys

So bottom line, I'm even if Edmund and James had dropped to 19, we still would have drafted LVE.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

According to who?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
According to who?

A lot of people feel like he is the best MLB in this draft or at least will be.

He and Roquan were both 1 and 2 on every big board out there. He is much more physical than Roquan, is good in coverage and can come off the edge.