Electricity saving devices

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I keep getting ads via Youtube or other social media about alleged energy saving devices. There's one that claims you can "quickly and easily stabilize your home’s electrical current" and then that makes you use less electricity. That sounds great, but I'm suspicious. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. I searched around, and I found one site that supposedly ranked all the various energy saving devices. However, when you click on "visit site" for any of the devices listed, it always brings you to the same web page. Sounds fishy to me. It sounds way easy to just plug in a device that looks kind of like a night light or a battery charger, and somehow you reduce your electric bill.

Does anyone know if any of these devices are legit? Or are they all pretty much a scam?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have a Nest and it likes to try and predict my fluctuating work schedule to change the temp. I wake up sometimes in the low 60's and I'll come home when it's 72. I guess if you have a consistent schedule it works, but an variability will completely confuse the hell out the thing.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
this is how you reduce your bills

approach_002-2.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm such a dummy. I use the heat too much when I could just wear a hoodie more.

Getting old! My hands and feet are always freezing.

Creeper

Reaction score

Do Power-Saving Devices Really Reduce Your Electric Bill?​

https://www.electricrate.com/device-that-reduces-electric-bill/
I am skeptical of devices that claim to save energy by reducing fluctuations in the power. Not that they cannot work in theory, but it seems to me they would only work if you have an unstable power source to begin with. A long time ago I read something about fluctuating electrical signals damaging TVs so I invested in a meter to determine if my signal was consistent or bouncing all over the place. It turned out the signal was very consistent with little fluctuation other than the occasional lightning strike in the neighborhood. I don't doubt that some areas of the US still have issues, but if your signal is already stable, these devices would be a waste of money I think.

Also, a lot of electronic devices have power supply circuitry that smooths out the signal before it is fed to the actual power consuming technology. Computers do not need 120 volts and 15 amps. Power supplies reduce that to 12 volts max. I am not sure what the power consumption variations are from these power supplies but they have limits on how much current they can receive.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep getting ads via Youtube or other social media about alleged energy saving devices. There's one that claims you can "quickly and easily stabilize your home’s electrical current" and then that makes you use less electricity. That sounds great, but I'm suspicious. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. I searched around, and I found one site that supposedly ranked all the various energy saving devices. However, when you click on "visit site" for any of the devices listed, it always brings you to the same web page. Sounds fishy to me. It sounds way easy to just plug in a device that looks kind of like a night light or a battery charger, and somehow you reduce your electric bill.

Does anyone know if any of these devices are legit? Or are they all pretty much a scam?

The electric company has to provide "Apparent" power.

Residential: The electric company only charges for the "Real Power" portion.

Industrial: The electric company charges for "Apparent Power".
- Power Factor correction capacitors are used in industrial applications because they basically eliminate the "Reactive Power".
- If Reactive Power is zero then "Real Power" = "Apparent Power".
- i.e. With the power factor capacitor Industry only pays for "Real Power" an eliminates the extra charge for "Reactive Power".

Summary: Power Factor correction capacitors eliminate the "Foam" but you're not paying for the "Foam" at your house anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Power Factor is the phase difference in AC Voltage and Current.

The first image at the link below is a near perfect power factor (perfect = 1).

The other 2 images shown non-ideal power factor(s). The range is 0 < PF < 1.

Note: A power factor of zero would mean that no power is delivered because voltage is negative when current is positive and vice-versa.

Resistive loads such as incandescent light bulbs or electric space heater do not change the power factor.
- Inductive loads (primarily motors) are the primary cause of non-idea power factor(s).
- Computer Power Suppliers also have non-ideal power factor.
- The better power supplier have power factor correction circuitry built in.
- Florescent light fixture transformer have a non-ideal power factor.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LED lights save significant power compared to incandescent.
- However, most residential power is used by the HVAC system.
If you live in Hot weather areas such as Texas, get High Seer AC units.
- Modern energy efficient windows can be a large energy savings.
- Obviously more/better insulation also lowers energy costs.
- You can wash the AC compressor cooling fins once a year to improve efficiency.
- Having your AC units in a shaded area is also more efficient.
- Gas heat is more efficient than electric and normally gas is cheaper per unit of energy delivered to your house.

The embedded link shows up in preview mode but gets blocked when I actually post.