Elliott 2,000 yrds?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
why does he need that? Maybe ALL Purpose YES thats what this team needs..most backs who have career years in rushing like Chris2k etc and Murray and im betting henry will feel the effects end up shortening their careers..

he had a good year this years regardless of what the troll's try to pass off, id like to see more receptions in his future and Pollard taking carries away and have zeke fresh in the 4th Qtrs and late in the seasons..

getting near 1400 yards and 12tds plus finish 30yards from 3rd in the league, hows is that bad? hes been the most productive and consistent back in the league since 2016..His toughness, durability and consistency is what ES did to have a longer career..

we dont need to run his legs off , we need to have him longer and aside from getting more receptions and a threat in the passing game hes fine in the run game.. if this year was an off year I can live with that even thought thats ridiculous to even say..

its terrible narrative from those that dont think he should have got paid and now have him under a ridiculous magnified expectations..

ill take this same year again the next 3 years and simply have the coaching staff utilize his talent in the pass game..

The #ZekeHaters will never learn.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Did Barry Sanders have a top notch stiff arm?

I don’t think Zeke is going to get 2,000, it this isn’t the reason.
Yes Barry Sanders had a top notch stiff arm. It just wasn't a traditional stiff arm. It was more of a short arm. He didn't put his hand in a defenders chess or on their helmet very much. But he would often bring his hand in over his shoulder pads and extend it as the player was trying to tackle him. Sanders was so fast and elusive that that's all he needed.

Tony Pollard uses that same short arm technique. And before anyone asks, yes i think Pollard could be a 2,000 yard back and hit 200 yards in a couple of games. If he was a featured back.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes Barry Sanders had a top notch stiff arm. It just wasn't a traditional stiff arm. It was more of a short arm. He didn't put his hand in a defenders chess or on their helmet very much. But he would often bring his hand in over his shoulder pads and extend it as the player was trying to tackle him. Sanders was so fast and elusive that that's all he needed.

Tony Pollard uses that same short arm technique. And before anyone asks, yes i think Pollard could be a 2,000 yard back and hit 200 yards in a couple of games. If he was a featured back.
There is a specific definition of the term “stiff arm”, and what you are referring to as not being a traditional stiff arm wasnt a stiff arm at all, much less a top notch one

And yes, Sanders did have other skills that allowed him to get to 2,000, but that was my point - that having a top notch stiff arm wasn’t a requirement, and that a “top notch stiff arm” is only one tool a RB could use. It certain falls well below things like vision and instincts, for example.

But, again, I’m not saying Zeke will get to 2,000,, and in fact think the odds of it are very low. But there are other reasons for that belief. It’s an incredibly difficult thing to do to begin with, so odds are against any runner in a given season. That applied even to those few who actually did it as well, as is proven by the fact they weren’t able to manage it more than once. Then there is the fact that teams are seldom so run centric that a RB gets a chance to carry the ball however many times it might take. Ultimatey, for it to happen everything has to fall in place just right, and that’s incredibly rare.

StuckMojo

Reaction score

Dang we have a 2000 yard rusher sitting on the bench and has never been a featured runner at any level.

John813

Reaction score
2000 total yards maybe. Even then I doubt it.
I expect more Pollard next year and I doubt Moore/MM will run Zeke into the ground unless a certain game calls for it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Elliott getting 2000 yards next year would probably be his last hurrah. That's about 450 totes of the ball. They still owe the dude big money, so best to use him in a complimentary style of offense.

basel90

Reaction score
He was overpaid , and has always underperformed especially in big game and crucial moments .

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dang we have a 2000 yard rusher sitting on the bench and has never been a featured runner at any level.
I judge a running back on how he uses his off arm. The great backs use their off arm to stiff arm defenders. They use their off arm as a counter weight on cut backs and jump cuts. And they use it to knock down one arm of would be tacklers. So Pollard uses his off arm very well. And if you add in his break away speed, then yes I say he has the skill set to be a 2,000 yard back. Oh and that same short arm technique I was just saying Sanders had, Pollard has that also.

Besides, judging a guy by what he's done in college is never a good idea. Tom Brady didn't make much noise in college, but Ryan Leaf did. If fact, most of your Heisman Trophy winners in the last 25 years have sucked at the pro level.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There is a specific definition of the term “stiff arm”, and what you are referring to as not being a traditional stiff arm wasnt a stiff arm at all, much less a top notch one

And yes, Sanders did have other skills that allowed him to get to 2,000, but that was my point - that having a top notch stiff arm wasn’t a requirement, and that a “top notch stiff arm” is only one tool a RB could use. It certain falls well below things like vision and instincts, for example.

But, again, I’m not saying Zeke will get to 2,000,, and in fact think the odds of it are very low. But there are other reasons for that belief. It’s an incredibly difficult thing to do to begin with, so odds are against any runner in a given season. That applied even to those few who actually did it as well, as is proven by the fact they weren’t able to manage it more than once. Then there is the fact that teams are seldom so run centric that a RB gets a chance to carry the ball however many times it might take. Ultimatey, for it to happen everything has to fall in place just right, and that’s incredibly rare.
All of the legendary backs in NFL history had a great stiff arm. Zeke is the first generation talent (IMO) not to have a great stiff arm. Im not saying that if he had one he'd be a 2,000 yard back. I was more or less just letting guys know, that is one of the things holding his production back. Because how a running back uses his off arm ties directly into how successful that back can be on this level. But like I said, Zeke is the first generational talent I've ever known that didn't have a good stiff arm. So he is an anomaly to me.

Speed, power, and balance is his M.O.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of the legendary backs in NFL history had a great stiff arm. Zeke is the first generation talent (IMO) not to have a great stiff arm. Im not saying that if he had one he'd be a 2,000 yard back. I was more or less just letting guys know, that is one of the things holding his production back. Because how a running back uses his off arm ties directly into how successful that back can be on this level. But like I said, Zeke is the first generational talent I've ever known that didn't have a good stiff arm. So he is an anomaly to me.

Speed, power, and balance is his M.O.
They may have all used a stiff arm, but most did not have a “great stiff arm”, nor was it a major tool for many, including guys like Sanders and OJ. Hell, Emmitt or Terrell Davis either. Some of you act like a “great stiff arm” is right up there with instincts, vision and running ability among the tools a RB needs to be great. It’s not. It can be a useful tool, and it was a major weapon for Earl Campbell, for example, but it’s not a requirement for greatness for everyone that plays the position.

That said, perhaps Zeke could benefit if he learned to use it more and better, but it really isn’t the key to greatness for him.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
They may have all used a stiff arm, but most did not have a “great stiff arm”, nor was it a major tool for many, including guys like Sanders and OJ. Hell, Emmitt or Terrell Davis either. Some of you act like a “great stiff arm” is right up there with instincts, vision and running ability among the tools a RB needs to be great. It’s not. It can be a useful tool, and it was a major weapon for Earl Campbell, for example, but it’s not a requirement for greatness for everyone that plays the position.

That said, perhaps Zeke could benefit if he learned to use it more and better, but it really isn’t the key to greatness for him.
Natural instincts is a must for all RB. Some insticts are better than others and some skill sets are better than others. That's what separates the goods from the greats. The more tools a RB has the higher his potential. That's why some of us take notice to Zeke's hapless stiff arm. It doesn't mean vision and acceleration aren't important. No one has ever said a stiff arm is more important than vision or acceleration. He harp on Zeke's stiff arm because we know that is the one area he could improve on.

And a grear stiff arm is not about knocking a guy to tha ground like Marshawn Lynch or Earl Campbell. Its about stopping a guy from tackling you. So if you think Emmitt and Davis didn't have great stiff arms you are sadly mistaken. They repeatedly used it to stop guys from tackling them.