Ellis at OLB

gosuns

Reaction score
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe why the Cowboys have not gotten an outisde linebacker in free agency is because they are planning on starting Ellis opposite of Ware?

I think with his speed if Ellis could make the adjustment he could be a hell of a player at OLB. I would not mind seeing Ware, Adoyell, James, and Ellis lined up at LB.

Thoughts?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Yea I guess thats a possibility. I dont think it's to likely bc then we would be

Spears Fergy Canty up front. And thats not what scares me. But i'm scared about Ellis in coverage.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Parcells did say that he was planning on doing some different things with Ellis this year.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
ellis is to old to play the SOLB spot, hes gotten slower and ho way will he last tryin to cover a TE especially in our division haha (Shockey, Cooley and Smith - a quite scary opposing force of tight ends IMO). we are going to address it in the draft most likely and hope for the best, i mean theres always hoping that burnett can play it and if not put ayodele back to OLB and get Burnett or 1 of our other LBs to play the MLB spot.

Ellis = not a OLB

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I know he has done some covering throughout his career with zone blitzes and all, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable with him doing it too often.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
gosuns said:
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe why the Cowboys have not gotten an outisde linebacker in free agency is because they are planning on starting Ellis opposite of Ware?

No---

gosuns

Reaction score
Just a thought I thought I'd throw out there... I think that if it happens you'll see Ellis at OLB on 3rd downs ONLY!

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
austintodallas said:
Parcells did say that he was planning on doing some different things with Ellis this year.
He sure did and the 1st player that came to mind whom has played for Parcells with the same measurables, but more talent is Willie McGinest. Willie is listed at 270lbs same as Ellis.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Charles said:
He sure did and the 1st player that came to mind whom has played for Parcells with the same measurables, but more talent is Willie McGinest. Willie is listed at 270lbs same as Ellis.

But wasn't McGinest alot faster than Ellis?

Reaction score
I would say the different stuff Parcells mentioned using Ellis for is probably spelling Ware and using him to only rush the passer, but definitely not starting at OLB

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If they tried that, I think Ellis would have to drop back down to 250-260 to regain his speed. That was his playing weight at North Carolina. But he is probably too old for that now.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
I dont think Ellis has the change of direction or flexibility to play this position. Cleveland tried the same thing last year with there d-end, Kennard Lang, and it didnt work out to well. He had a similiar body type as Ellis

Bcburns

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Isn't there an old saying about old dogs and tricks????

As an owner of a few old dogs I can assure you, that statement is not true.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
gosuns said:
Just a thought I thought I'd throw out there... I think that if it happens you'll see Ellis at OLB on 3rd downs ONLY!

yea...to rush the passer from a 3 point stance

Eddie

Reaction score
Not another one of these fantasy scenarios ...

Ellis at OLB.
Larry Allen at DT.
Dat at Safety.
Key at DE
Bledsoe at WR

What's next? The towel boy at OT?