Ellis 'First' interview, JJT talks Ware contract

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Turns out the video stuff from Ellis on TV today and his interview in the green room were actually not the first thoughts Greg Ellis expressed to the media.

He did a phone interview with Joe Trahan from WFAA TV in Dallas last night about his release...

Ellis FIRST interview with Joe Trahan

Mostly the same stuff from the video I posted earlier today. But after I ran thru this again you can come to a few conclusions.

1. He doesn't feel his age has anything to with his release.

2. He doesn't think the Cowboys defense will be as good with Spencer as it was with him.

3. He is clearly not all that broken up about not being a Dallas Cowboys any longer.

4. He was expecting to be cut or traded much earlier this offseason.

5. He would have no problem playing for the Eagles, Giants or Commanders.
His age was certainly a factor. But I agree with what Michael Irvin was saying earlier today that you can't separate the age factor and the salary factor. The point being that teams are usually paying for 'present day play' along with 'future play'.

Ellis doesn't think the defense will be better with Spencer as a starter, but it seems the Cowboys coaching staff feels different.

Eleven years and he kinda sounds like 'oh well, I am ready to move along now' as if it's no problem.

The Cowboys were definitely trying to trade him around draft time. Then they threw him out there for the first set of OTA's to get some film on him so they could try and trade him again. There were no takers because other teams knew the Cowboys were not going to keep him unless he restructured his contract. And we all know he wasn't going to do that.

We have seen guys say they could not play for a division rival: Brian Dawkins said he could no way play for the Cowboys after being an Eagle for so long.

Greg Ellis is in no way, shape or form a 'Brian Dawkins'.

cowboyshelmet1_small_blog.jpg

Here's JJT on KTBB Radio with David Smoak talking about how far apart the Cowboys and Demarcus Ware are on a new contract right now...

JJT on KTBB Radio

All I know is that Jerry had better find a way to get enough money to Demarcus Ware so that he's happy for a long long time.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I was going through some hard drives tonight looking for some old stuff I want to use and I came across Ellis on with galloway from the spring of 06.

He said he wasnt trying to toot his own horn, but the team was better when he was on the field with glover than when spears and canty were on the field. He didnt mention spears and canty by name but at the end of 05 it was clear spears-ferguson-canty were starting and they were going to be the starters up front in the future.

Pretty much the same thing he is saying now with spencer.
http://www.4shared.com/file/109769891/119da175/gac_with_greg_ellis.html

Aikbach

Reaction score
Greg Ellis, you are an above average defensive end, an average linebacker and now a situational player, good luck to you but Spencer will excel where you were merely servicable this past season.

You were the third defensive end drafted in 1998, one of four that were taken in the first round and as it turns out you were the best of the draft class and Dallas lucked out on that.

Andre Wadsworth went before you and was hyped as the next Bruce Smith, his knees said otherwise and he was gone from football by his 25th birthday.

Grant Wistrom was taken teo picks before you and had a productive but not particularly monumental career in St. Louis and Seattle although he did play in three Super Bowls, winning one ring.

Greg Eliis was then selected eighth overall and put in the unenviable task of being a damned if you do or don't draft ick as Dallas passed on Randy Moss' character issues in favor of Ellis.

Vonnie Holliday went to greenbay with the 19th pick.

So in retrospect Ellis was the best pass rusher in the draft and had an above average career as a sturdy defensive end.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I think that Age and his salary finally caught up to Ellis, he reallly didn't do much in 2008 and it's time to turn the page.

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
He was this down era of the Dallas Cowboys in the form of a player. Flozell Adams is that for the offense.

Jenky

Reaction score
It would make me sick if Ellis went to an NFC east team.:puke:

yentl911

Reaction score
I just don't think Greg was that disruptive any longer and he is without a doubt on the downside of his career. With all of the young blood we just drafted coupled with having Spencer waiting in the wings, this was a no-brainer.

I think if Greg had a better supporting cast when he first cam into the league he would have been an upper echelon player. He just never had anyone around him that could help take pressure off of him....and teams could double him without worrying about getting beat by someone else.

He did a good job for this team for a long time......all of the complaining and whining aside..

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2798069 said:
3. He is clearly not all that broken up about not being a Dallas Cowboys any longer.​

That's fine. If you have an ounce of sense, you aren't that broken up about him being gone.

. He would have no problem playing for the Eagles, Giants or Commanders.

What a wonderful Core Cowboy he is.

Ellis doesn't think the defense will be better with Spencer as a starter, but it seems the Cowboys coaching staff feels different.

I would get a very deep thrill out of seeing Spencer prosper and Ellis fade into complete and utter obscurity.

Eleven years and he kinda sounds like 'oh well, I am ready to move along now' as if it's no problem.

Sounds like the attitude of a person who feels he was cheated.

Four

Reaction score
people change jobs all the time, NFL players are still getting paid to do a job.

When jason taylor left the dolphins, the way he seemed to have left the dolphins, he sounded a lot like ellis does now.

jason taylor resigns with the dolphins and says, "my heart was always in florida, and I was always a dolphin and this is where I always wanted to be."

It's a business, and vets know that, and they don't say the wrong things or the right things, they say the politcally correct things, so they can not hurt themselves in the business side of it.

You don't praise or stomp on your former bosses too much, either way will raise eyebrows in the business world.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2798174 said:
Spencer will have 10 to 12 sacks in 2009.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Those numbers depends on how many games he misses due to injury or jail time. :laugh2:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
nyc;2798395 said:
Don't get ahead of yourself. Those numbers depends on how many games he misses due to injury or jail time. :laugh2:

I soured on Spencer like everyone else last year, but he's not quite to the Stanback level with injuries nor is he at a Pacman level in terms of legal issues.

superpunk

Reaction score
Pretty vanilla.

I think Greg has wanted to not be a Cowboy for about four years now.

And he wouldn't be an athlete at this level if he thought that our defense would be better without him. That's just a nonsense question. "Hey Greg, do you think the Cowboys defense will be better with Anthony Spencer?" "Oh sure, he's a far better player than I was, I don't know why Wade even let me on the field." Pleeeeeeeeeezzzzzz....

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Alexander;2798334 said:
Ellis has been under the delusion for many years that he's an underpaid, underappreciated star.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2798174 said:
Spencer will have 10 to 12 sacks in 2009.

I hope you are right. Spencer needs to step up and play as most of us thought he would have by now. With rookies behind him he will be playing the vast majority of the snaps and it is critical for this defense for him to perform well in both run and pass defense..

Four

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2798394 said:
I won't be real broken up to see him get hurt.

we are turning into eagles fans with these kind of sentiments.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Alexander;2798334 said:
That's fine. If you have an ounce of sense, you aren't that broken up about him being gone.

I would get a very deep thrill out of seeing Spencer prosper and Ellis fade into complete and utter obscurity.

Greg Ellis is all about Greg Ellis. The only difference between him and T.O. is that Owens was (in his prime) an exceptional player and Ellis was slightly above average.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2798334 said:

I think somebody commented without listening to the actual interview...

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
Four;2798439 said:
we are turning into eagles fans with these kind of sentiments.

I second this notion. If he wants to be gone, he now has his wish and good luck to him. I appreciated his play while he was here, but his consistant offseason *****ing for the last 4 years has gotten old. Let him be someone else's problem now. :cool: