Ellis sack

MONT17

Reaction score
for those of u keeping track... ELLIS sack was a product of him playing DE in a 4-3... yes, the first time the BOYS call the 4-3 it produces a sack! What I want to see is them Line up in a 3-4 then switch to a 4-3 pre-snap...

Not sure if u will find that in a FANTASY MAG. or a Googled Archived Article/Rankings!!!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
we were in the nickle not 43

I get so freakin' sick of people referring to the nickel as a 4-3. Annoys the hell out of me. The 4-3 is just as different from the Nickel as the 3-4 is from the nickel.

Learn the game, People.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Well, he could have said they were in a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 depending on the scheme used :) I didn't get to see the game only hear it. To get technical, if the Cowboys were playing a 4-2-5 scheme, then Ellis would have been in fact playing his natural position. Of course they could have been playing a 3-3-5 scheme with Ellis playing as a linebacker. Then the sack would be credited as a LB. Of course I recall them saying the sack came with Ellis playing the DE position of the nickel which supports the 4-2-5 scheme. (Ellis playing his natural position) Which gives support to the orignal posters claim even though he miss called the actual defensive set since his point was Ellis getting the sack in his orignal position.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
for those of u keeping track... ELLIS sack was a product of him playing DE in a 4-3... yes, the first time the BOYS call the 4-3 it produces a sack! What I want to see is them Line up in a 3-4 then switch to a 4-3 pre-snap...
!!!

They switched up last year...although not a lot. But with the guys getting more comfortable in the 3-4, they will probably increase the amount of times they switch up.

Even still, they were in the nickel on that play and Ellis had an extremely favorable down and distance that helped him get the sack. The more times you increase leaving the opposing offense with 3rd and 14's, the more likely you're going to sack the QB, regardless of whether you're using a 3-4, a 4-3, or a nickel package.

Rich.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MONT17 said:

Not sure if u will find that in a FANTASY MAG. or a Googled Archived Article/Rankings!!!

Ellis was in a stand up position playing OLB not in the 3 point stance.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Really? I swore I heard the analysis say he was playing DE in the nickel which supports a 4-2-5 scheme of nickel...

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
The Cowboys almost never play a 4-3

The 3-4 nickle includes 4 down lineman but it is not a 4-3

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
nyc said:
Really? I swore I heard the analysis say he was playing DE in the nickel which supports a 4-2-5 scheme of nickel...

You are correct. Ellis was in a 3 point stance. Dallas had their nickel package in, but it looks like they sneaked up the SS into a LB spot as a way to fake the blitz. So I could see somebody thinking it was the 4-3. But, it was a nickel package and Ellis was playing DE in that package.

Rich.......

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
You'd think in year 2 that they would begin to notice the difference. :rolleyes:

On a board where folks think we are going to trade for every disgruntled player?

On a board where we explain that no, Patrick Crayton, can't go on the PUP at this point of the year?

On a board where we will hear all year about how we should have signed Mike Wahle instead of Rivera, Viniateri instead of Vanderjagt, etc.

On a board where folks still say that Newman was a bad pick?

Should you really be surprised?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Ellis was in a stand up position playing OLB not in the 3 point stance.
This says different and supports what the anaylsis said also.

Vela said:
Dallas stayed in its base 3-4 for most of the first half, going to the 4-2-5 in third and long situations. Dallas went with its base even when the Seahawks spread the field with 4 receiver sets, moving Ware and Ellis out into space to cover them. Dallas was also vanilla in its rushes. It rushed four most of the time though Ellis and Ware were both sent on five man rushes a couple of times. The Cowboys also blitzed Aaron Glenn from the slot in the second half.
The 4-2-5 being the nickel. In the 4-2-5 I couldn't imagine Parcells leaving Ellis out there as a LB when he is better suited to play DE.

Edit: This response was delayed due to being at work. :/

Smith22

Reaction score
With his new role, Ellis going against TE's and RB's will be a huge advantage, plus his ability to stop the run with his size at LB'er. That being said, I'm still worried about teams targeting him in the passing game. Time will tell I suppose. Also, Al Singleton looked solid, always in the right spot, just seems to lack pop on his tackles.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bungarian said:
The Cowboys almost never play a 4-3

The 3-4 nickle includes 4 down lineman but it is not a 4-3

There is no such thing as a 3-4 nickel. Even if there were, it wouldn't include 4 down linemen.

Edit: There's no such thing as a 4-3 nickel for that matter. A 4-3 is one defensive alignment, and a nickel is another defensive alignment.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I just went back and looked at the play where Ellis got his sack (the magic that is TIVO:D ) and it was from a three point stance. He was not standing up. Regardless, he got a sack and I really don't care if he starts out from a three point stance a two point stance or standing on his head. If he gets sacks, that's fine with me.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Hopefully, this lays it to rest:

http://img49.*************/img49/1498/ellissackby4.th.png

Four down linemen. Ellis in a 3 point stance. Two linebackers (the defender on the 45 yard line in the middle of the field is Terence Newman).

It's a 4-2-5 nickel.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Nickel = 4-2-5

It is NOT anything close to the 3-4 or 4-3

I agree with you to a point, BUT! ;)

Note: A nickel can be both a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5.

On that note, what we saw was a 4-2-5 that look like a 4-3 because we had 7 in the box. (We had a safety in the box with the linebackers) Recall that Parcells said he might use Roy Williams as a LB occasionally. In doing that, the nickel actually becomes a hybrid 4-3. Or a 4-3 disguised as a nickel. :)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
nyc said:
I agree with you to a point, BUT! ;)

Note: A nickel can be both a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5.

On that note, what we saw was a 4-2-5 that look like a 4-3 because we had 7 in the box. (We had a safety in the box with the linebackers) Recall that Parcells said he might use Roy Williams as a LB occasionally. In doing that, the nickel actually becomes a hybrid 4-3. Or a 4-3 disguised as a nickel. :)

No, it doesn't. Parcells referred to using Roy IN PLACE of one of the two existing LBs in the nickel, not up in the box with the two LBs.

NorTex

Reaction score
I think this is being over anyalysed: 5 defensive backs = Nickle...don't worry about what the front lines are doing.