Article: Elon Musk Offers To Buy Twitter

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have some shares so this is good news......the board would be stupid not to accept his offer, even on the low end (worth $70 per share a while ago).

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Really not sure why he'd want it seeing how Twitter is pretty much in it's final form. It's not like there's gonna be a lot of future innovation that dramatically changes the way people post 280 characters. The only value Twitter has is traffic and it's hard to imagine there's an untapped market anywhere in the world at this point.

Maybe there's more to Twitter than I know about. I only have an account to view content that is linked on other platforms.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Really not sure why he'd want it seeing how Twitter is pretty much in it's final form. It's not like there's gonna be a lot of future innovation that dramatically changes the way people post 280 characters. The only value Twitter has is traffic and it's hard to imagine there's an untapped market anywhere in the world at this point.

Maybe there's more to Twitter than I know about. I only have an account to view content that is linked on other platforms.

There’s a lot of monetization strategies they could use, including payments using crypto rails, paying to get verified, among other things. With all that said, I think he’s mainly doing it as a way to preserve free speech, which is interesting.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s a lot of monetization strategies they could use, including payments using crypto rails, paying to get verified, among other things. With all that said, I think he’s mainly doing it as a way to preserve free speech, which is interesting.
Twitter could easily boost their revenue by offering a real subscription option instead of the pathetic "Twitter Blue" option they offer now which offers no reason at all to subscribe.

Of course they should keep their free version as well, but if they offered subscription benefits like ..

1) verified account (blue check) status
2) no advertisements (at all)
3) edit button (not the undo crap)
4) scheduled tweets
5) detailed stats/analytics for accounts
6) detailed stats/analytics for each tweet
7) more filters

A lot more people would be willing to pay for enhanced access, especially companies and professional people.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'm torn on the free speech question from Musk and what that would mean if he opens the platform like never before. I believe in transparency and the more access everyone has to knowledge, the better the world.

But I also see how it has become a tool for propaganda and has a higher sense of responsibility than it ever realized because of its addictive nature.

Bottomline is I don't believe that humanity automatically guarantees decency and goodwill, and we need to be practical about these things.

But I'm not sure it even matters because of that recent news that half of Twitter users are bots. Add to that the only people who really get attention on it are celebrities. May just be fool's gold.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The more I hear, the more I think I’ll ultimately just stop using Twitter altogether.
I just use it for some trusted follows. I always get breaking notifications from Twitter accounts before I get them from new sources.

As far as personal socially media, I dont have a use for it. For that purposes, Twitter is all the things that went wrong with Facebook. I use Facebook to keep up with friends from the service, and thats gotten difficult to do because people basically want to use it like ots Twitter

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just use it for some trusted follows. I always get breaking notifications from Twitter accounts before I get them from new sources.

As far as personal socially media, I dont have a use for it. For that purposes, Twitter is all the things that went wrong with Facebook. I use Facebook to keep up with friends from the service, and thats gotten difficult to do because people basically want to use it like ots Twitter

I can proudly say I’ve actually never had a Facebook account and social media just seems more and more toxic. I’m backing away from most of it for my own piece of mind.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Twitter has implemented a poison pill to prevent takeover.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, they are basically going to dilute their own stock value to prevent him from buying Twitter. Can't imagine that shareholders are going to be too excited about this vs a 38% over the value that Musk offered.

I would assume Musk knew they were going to reject his offer that is why he mentioned having a Plan B.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/twitter-poison-pill-elon-musk

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Twitter has implemented a poison pill to prevent takeover.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, they are basically going to dilute their own stock value to prevent him from buying Twitter. Can't imagine that shareholders are going to be too excited about this vs a 38% over the value that Musk offered.

I would assume Musk knew they were going to reject his offer that is why he mentioned having a Plan B.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/twitter-poison-pill-elon-musk
I think it depends whether it was a true "poison pill" to prevent a takeover or simply a defensive move to setup a stronger negotiation side for the board.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All I’ve heard the past week from the talking heads was “”Free Speech”.

Twitter ain’t never been about that….neither has the media.

Free speech means exactly what it means. If you carve out 5-10% of speech because you don’t like it (under the guise of sAFetY) then, congrats, it’s no longer free speech. Stop calling it that.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free speech does not apply to twitter as a private business You also agree to rules when joining twitter and if you do not abide by the rules there will be consequences. If you do not like the business model or rules on twitter Find another business/social app that you agree with and use that one.

Or if you are an enterprising person with the means to start a new app that caters to your wishes. And I would wager money that as that app grows in popularity you will find that it start instituting it's own rules and guidelines or it will fail due to the trolls.

People need to educate themselves on free speech.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm torn on the free speech question from Musk and what that would mean if he opens the platform like never before. I believe in transparency and the more access everyone has to knowledge, the better the world.

But I also see how it has become a tool for propaganda and has a higher sense of responsibility than it ever realized because of its addictive nature.

Bottomline is I don't believe that humanity automatically guarantees decency and goodwill, and we need to be practical about these things.

But I'm not sure it even matters because of that recent news that half of Twitter users are bots. Add to that the only people who really get attention on it are celebrities. May just be fool's gold.

100%

While I think Musk would undoubtedly bring fresh perspective and new ideas to the table, I don’t like his wide open idea on free speech. Twitter’s a private business; there’s no need to have every wacko spewing conspiracies and disinformation. We’ve seen where that’s gotten our country and others.