Emmitt 'embracing' the Star

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
TO mentioned this, and I vaguely remember; or maybe it didn't happen at all. But...

Didn't Emmitt Smith, in that same game that TO 'desecrated' our star, score a touchdown and celebrate on the star? And if so, does anyone have a video or picture?

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
Byrdman1531 said:
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/img/photo/10-02/M_46_NS_27EmmittStar.JPG

there u go
no he took off his helmet and slammed the ball down..

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Well that picture is from when he broke the record. You can tell cuz it's the new turf. (awesome pic btw)

However, I'm wondering if he did it at that same game TO celebrated on the star. I seem to remember him running to the star and putting the football down, however I was just a little kid then.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
ES6A.jpg

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
Byrdman1531 said:
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/img/photo/10-02/M_46_NS_27EmmittStar.JPG

there u go

thats from when he became the all-time rushing leader.

in the STAR game he ran to the STAR, faced the 9ers bench, kneeled to one knee and slammed the ball on the turf.

sorry, wrong pic bro

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
Well that picture is from when he broke the record. You can tell cuz it's the new turf. (awesome pic btw)

However, I'm wondering if he did it at that same game TO celebrated on the star. I seem to remember him running to the star and putting the football down, however I was just a little kid then.
You are correct.

TO "celebrated" his first TD on the star. Emmitt scored a TD and knelt on one knee, helmet off, and slammed the football to the turf on the star. On TOs 2nd TD, he ran back to the star but little did he know TEAGUE was right behind him and smacked that ___ off of the star!! Still say Teague could've gotten a cleaner hit on TO.

Rude

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
You are correct.

TO "celebrated" his first TD on the star. Emmitt scored a TD and knelt on one knee, helmet off, and slammed the football to the turf on the star. On TOs 2nd TD, he ran back to the star but little did he know TEAGUE was right behind him and smacked that ___ off of the star!! Still say Teague could've gotten a cleaner hit on TO.

One of the greatest moments in my opinion, Emmitt on the star and teague protecting it.

danny0812

Reaction score
Interesting article i found regarding the pic.

Dallas Cowboys Pay $275,000 for Single Photograph
Team Used Famous Emmitt Smith Picture Without Permission
(Dallas) – The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to pay a local photographer $275,000 to settle the lawsuit he brought after the Cowboys organization used one of his copyrighted pictures without permission.
Walter Smith, of Impact Images, captured the image of Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith kneeling on the star in the middle of Texas Stadium during a game against the San Francisco 49ers on September 28, 2000. Emmitt struck his pose just after 49er wide receiver Terrell Owens did a post-touchdown dance on the star, in a game San Francisco eventually won, 41-24.
Walter Smith provided the Cowboys organization with a digital file of his photograph, which the team considered using on season tickets. Though the Cowboys ended up choosing another design, the team eventually bought 250 copies of the picture – bearing the photographer’s copyright – for resale to the public.
Then, without seeking his permission, the Cowboys began using the image of Emmitt and the star on t-shirts, sweatshirts and other items. The photographer discovered the copyright infringement himself, when he stopped by a Cowboys booth at the State Fair of Texas, and saw Cowboys merchandise adorned with his picture.
“Essentially, the Cowboys organization stole Walt’s paycheck,” says Jim Davis of Davis Munck, P.C., in Dallas, who represented the photographer in his case against the team. “Taking pictures is how he makes a living. The Cowboys knew this because they had purchased copies of the photograph to sell in their pro shops. Apparently, they thought they could use the image on their merchandise without paying Walt. I’m quite certain they don’t think that anymore.”
Under terms of the settlement, submitted to a federal district court in Dallas, the Cowboys agreed to pay Walter Smith $275,000 and to cease using the image in any promotion or advertising. Also included in the settlement is a clause that bars Walter Smith from returning to Texas Stadium to take photographs in the future. The team also tried, but failed, to bar him from Dallas Desperados games.
“For the Cowboys to add insult to injury by closing their gates on Walt tarnishes the very star Emmitt Smith was trying to defend,” Mr. Davis says. “It’s just plain vindictive. If anyone should be angry about what happened, it should be Walt Smith. He’s the one whose property was taken and used without permission.”
Davis Munck, P.C., is a Dallas-based law firm focused on serving the technology industry and other businesses driven by innovation. The firm represents clients from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies in high-stakes commercial litigation, corporate transactions and business formation, employment and intellectual property law.
For more information on the $275,000 photograph, contact Mark Annick at 800-559-4534, pager 214-967-2299, or mark@legalpr.com.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is some funny stuff ........ bout time these Lawsuit happy people get punked.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Still say Teague could've gotten a cleaner hit on TO.

THATS for sure. I thought same thing.
Every time I see it I think that over and over.... LMAO

rcaldw

Reaction score
Rude said:
One of the greatest moments in my opinion, Emmitt on the star and teague protecting it.

I know I'm in the vast minority on this one, but I didn't think it was great, I thought it was silly and self promoting. I don't think it was about the Dallas Cowboys, it was about Emmitt Smith, which is exactly why he had his helmet off. TV Time.

To me that whole time period in Cowboys history was sad. The Campo years may have been our low point.