Emmitt Smith's Helmet in 1992

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I watched the replay of the 1992 NFC Championship game and on the back of Emmitt's helmet he wore two decals. One was 98 and the other was 44. None of the other players had those numbers that I could see. Does anyone know why he had those on his helmet and if they were in honor of someone, who were they honoring?

I don't believe it would be allowed in today's NFL for one player's uniform to be different.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2434300 said:
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I watched the replay of the 1992 NFC Championship game and on the back of Emmitt's helmet he wore two decals. One was 98 and the other was 44. None of the other players had those numbers that I could see. Does anyone know why he had those on his helmet and if they were in honor of someone, who were they honoring?

I don't believe it would be allowed in today's NFL for one player's uniform to be different.

I think the 98 was for Jerome Brown who had passed away the previous offseason. I don't remember who 44 was for. Several players wore those decals that year, typically players from the Florida college's, Irvin had them to, i'm pretty sure.

stiletto

Reaction score
Not to get off topic but does anyone know whose baby Aikman was holding in the locker room??

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2434303 said:
I think the 98 was for Jerome Brown who had passed away the previous offseason. I don't remember who 44 was for. Several players wore those decals that year, typically players from the Florida college's, Irvin had them to, i'm pretty sure.

Thank's Royal. I had no idea who was being honored.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2434306 said:
Thank's Royal. I had no idea who was being honored.

Your welcome Sir.

Hopefully someone will remember who 44 was for, kinda got me wondering now, like one of those things that bugs atcha!!!

LeonDixson

Reaction score
stiletto;2434305 said:
Not to get off topic but does anyone know whose baby Aikman was holding in the locker room??
I don't know, who it was. Cute little tyke though.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
dallasfan4evr;2434316 said:
I think it was Shane Curry... He was shot and killed around this time.

I looked up Shane on wikipedia. He did play college ball in Miami, and was killed in May of 1992, so you're probably right. Nice going, man!

Randy White

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2434300 said:

98 was for Jerome Brown, former Eagle/UM defensive tackle, and 44 was Shane Curry, former Colt/UM defensive tackle.

Both befriended Emmitt in college and both died that year.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Randy White;2434322 said:
98 was for Jerome Brown, former Eagle/UM defensive tackle, and 44 was Shane Curry, former Colt/UM defensive tackle.

Both befriended Emmitt in college and both died that year.
That confirms what Royal Laegotti and Dallasfan4evr said. I appreciate the answers guys. Thanks to all.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Randy White;2434323 said:
He wore 98 in UM.

thanks...i can't believe he was already gone by 92..

unreal how the years go by.

Randy White

Reaction score
lane;2434327 said:
thanks...i can't believe he was already gone by 92..

unreal how the years go by.

Tell me about it. I still have those SBs and Conference championships game on VHS and it seems like I recorded them yesterday.

I'm still try to convince myself that the triplets retired, but I'm stubborn.

:laugh2: