End of the Lesnar experiment

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
So who'd you rather have... Lesnar or Hugh Douglas? :D

Lesnar's fantasy camp with Vikings comes to an end

August 30, 2004
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Brock Lesnar won't be the next big thing in the NFL -- at least not this year.

The former pro wrestling star who hadn't played football in nine years, was cut by the Minnesota Vikings on Monday.

Lesnar developed faster than expected and impressed his teammates with hard work. But his lack of football experience -- combined with minimal playing time and a groin injury from an April motorcycle accident -- were too much to overcome in just one month of training camp.

``He gave me a hug,'' coach Mike Tice said. ``He was very happy for the chance.''

Lesnar, 27, won the 2000 NCAA heavyweight championship at the University of Minnesota, and gained pro wrestling fame as 'The Next Big Thing'.

But despite a seven-year, $45 million WWE contract, he decided to pursue a professional football career. On the eve of training camp, Lesnar signed a one-year contract with the Vikings for $230,000, the rookie minimum.

``When he called me, that's all he asked for, is an opportunity,'' Tice said. ``I think we gave him a good opportunity to see if this is what he wanted to do.''

Tice declined to speculate about whether Lesnar would be added to the Vikings' practice squad, but said the club would be ``proud'' to allocate him to the NFL's developmental league next spring.

``I suggest to him that he should at some point end up in NFL Europe this year and play,'' Tice said. ``Hopefully, that will be as a Viking.''

Lesnar wasn't available for comment. His agent, Ed Hitchcock, said Lesnar wants to continue his development on the practice squad and in NFL Europe.

``He's committed to this long-term,'' Hitchcock said. ``He's realistic about what it takes to develop. There are players who've played this game all their lives who take a couple of years to develop (in the NFL).''

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Funny, I was arguing with Vikings fans about this. They were all excited about this guy, thinking he'd be a key contributor.

I kept trying to get it in their heads that the most he'll do this year is "contribute" on the practice squad.

Can't wait to rub it in their faces. :D

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm impressed by his determination...it would be easy to say he tried and did his his thing in camp and move on...good for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm impressed by his determination...it would be easy to say he tried and did his his thing in camp and move on...good for him.
I agree.
Going from millions per year wrestling to 2500 per week as a PS guy is honorable as it gets.

Duane

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

I am too but it's a hell of a lot easier to go and follow your dreams after you have that much cash in the bank.

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
Take Vinny off that list with Aikman staubach and merideth , and put in henson

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hate to say it but........... told ya so.