End the "exclusively 3-4" talk now!

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen NFL Total Access today, but, in case you missed it, Parcells specifically says "he has NOT said that the defense is exclusively a 3-4 set up". He also said "a smart coach does not limit what his players can do by putting them in a scheme that they don't fit" (couldn't write this verbatim, but that's what I got from the message). This could get pretty interesting folks.

31hammer

Reaction score
JeffInDC said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen NFL Total Access today, but, in case you missed it, Parcells specifically says "he has NOT said that the defense is exclusively a 3-4 set up". He also said "a smart coach does not limit what his players can do by putting them in a scheme that they don't fit" (couldn't write this verbatim, but that's what I got from the message). This could get pretty interesting folks.

We will be the same as the patriots last year. We will switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3. We will keep them guessing Essentially dictating to the offenses rather then having them dictate to them

Wimbo

Reaction score
I think most here agree that we will not be exclusively anything. Several proclaimed that our base D will be 3-4, but I don't think anyone said that is all we will play (maybe I missed something though).

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
JeffInDC said:

He also said he was pretty serious about giving this 3-4 a try. Parcells is a master at not saying much. If you read into it that 3-4 is not exclusive, then that's you, b/c Parcells left the door open to run the 4-3, the 3-4 or both. He really did not tip his hand.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AMEN

I predicted a 3-4 with 4-3 looks. Never advocated a 3-4 exclusive. Bellicheck and Pats are in and out of 3-4 and 4-3 since

Bill is on track to getting us square!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
JeffInDC said:

Bingo - I agree 100%

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
well he did say that we will run some 4-3

Its 3-4 base defense now and its now 2005. We will play some 4-3 as we continue to stock 3-4 talent. Recent history has 3-4 winning 3 of last 4 Super Bowls. Parcells has won 2 in a 3-4.

he never said EXCLUSIVELY

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
well he did say that we will run some 4-3

he never said EXCLUSIVELY

You 4-3 homers are in denial

Zimmer spent all offseason working 3-4
Many players have said its 3-4 (Ferguson of recent)
We drafted 3-4 type players
Jones said 3-4 this week actually

Parcells is a 3-4 coach and pissed off with defensive 4-3 suckage last year.

See Ellis tirade as further proof. And it wasn't a *** coach ELLIS RANT OF WHAT IS MY ROLE IN THE 4-3 THIS YEAR.!

3-4 move is in place and happening. What has the Ellis 4-3 ever really done for us? Glover will be a playa still in 3-4 and some 4-3.

I like this post the best.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
You 4-3 homers are in denial

Zimmer spent all offseason working 3-4
Many players have said its 3-4 (Ferguson of recent)
We drafted 3-4 type players
Jones said 3-4 this week actually

Parcells is a 3-4 coach and pissed off with defensive 4-3 suckage last year.

See Ellis tirade as further proof. And it wasn't a *** coach ELLIS RANT OF WHAT IS MY ROLE IN THE 4-3 THIS YEAR.!

3-4 move is in place and happening. What has the Ellis 4-3 ever really done for us? Glover will be a
playa still in 3-4 and some 4-3.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many times we need a new 34 thread going?

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I'm just wondering how many times we need a new 34 thread going?

I agree...this is coming from a guy who really wanted to have the 3-4 this year....I'm more happy about the flexibility we have to do what ever we need to to rush the passer. At this point I don't care what we run most of the time as long as we are stuffing the run and causing turn overs...that's what I want.

Merlin

Reaction score
Who said that the Boys would run the 3-4 exclusively. I heard many say that it would be the base defense. I am of that opinion also but most people even the strongest advocates said that there would be other looks as well. There has to be some 4-3 with Glover and Ellis still out there. That is what makes this defense exciting is the mix of looks you can throw at teams if you have the personnel. This is the first year that we have had that kind of personnel and that is depending on the rookies heavily. Ware is the key. If he turns out to be special, then watch out. Spears will be solid IMO, Burnett too, Canty will make teams regret not taking him earlier.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I agree...this is coming from a guy who really wanted to have the 3-4 this year....I'm more happy about the flexibility we have to do what ever we need to to rush the passer. At this point I don't care what we run most of the time as long as we are stuffing the run and causing turn overs...that's what I want.
As long as we are winning I don't care heck we can run goal line 24/7 for all I care if we are winning.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
As long as we are winning I don't care heck we can run goal line 24/7 for all I care if we are winning.

I love doing that on madden, like when they come out two WR, boy i be causing havioc, but of course i doubt that will work in the NFL

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time; we will play multiple fronts. What ever is working best at the time will get the nod. It's too early to predict what we will play the most of. Geez Louise Nors you have a one track mind.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
jobberone said:
For the umpteenth time; we will play multiple fronts. What ever is working best at the time will get the nod. It's too early to predict what we will play the most of. Geez Louise Nors you have a one track mind.

you nailed it..perhaps the trajectory is a 3-4 base but multiple looks is what it is gonna be based on BP own statements in the press conference!!

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
I think the reason most people started thinking that the Boyz would go exclusively 3-4 is the circumstantial evidence we've seen. The biggest evidence being: Why would Glover and Ellis be so upset if the 4-3 is a significant part of the defense? Exclusive or not, it seems that we are going to see a base 3-4.