Engel: So Wade is Calling the Defense?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's no secret the Cowboys defense has dramatically improved in recent weeks.

Sacks are up. Therun defense is better. The pass defense is better.

It was after the Cowboys rather humiliating loss against the Rams on Oct. 19 that Wade Phillips said he was going to get more involved when Jerry Jones suggested it.

"He felt like I could do more and when I looked at myself I said, yeah I can do more and I need to. That’s my expertise or whatever you want to call it," Phillips said Wednesday.

But Phillips said he wasn't going to call the defenses. By saying that it looked as if defensive coordinator Brian Stewart was not demoted.

Both players and coaches denied that anything was any different.

"Nothing has changed," safety Ken Hamlin said on Oct. 23.

Said Stewart on that day, "If I got demoted, I probably wouldn't be smiling. ... He will spend a little more time on the defense."

Now it's more than a month later, and Phillips admits he has been indeed calling the defenses. He calls what defense he wants to run to Stewart, who relays it to linebacker Bradie James on the field.

"I call all the defenses," Phillips said Wednesday afternoon.

But the agreed-upon lie back then was Stewart was calling the defense. Nothing had changed, etc.

"I said that during the week (after the loss to the Rams) that I was calling defenses," Phillips said.

No. He didn't. All he said was he was going to get more involved.

"I thought I said it. Maybe I didn’t. I don’t know," Phillips said Wednesday. " don’t think it hurts him now or I don’t think it hurt him before because we talked about it."

After that loss against the Rams, the Cowboys defense ranked 11th in the league and allowed 303.9 yards per game.

Today, the defense ranks eighth in the league and allows 292.3 yards per game.

By admitting this now Phillips looks like he is angling for the credit. He may not be, but it can easily be perceived that way.

- Mac Engel

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he did say it. Why else would everyone think there was a switch in playcalling?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
theogt;2479856 said:
I'm pretty sure he did say it. Why else would everyone think there was a switch in playcalling?

I am summarizing but it went like this...

Wade "I am going to make changes"

Reporter "What kind of changes are you going to make?"

Wade "It could be plays, players, or defenses"

You can watch the post Rams loss press conference, I'm sure there's more evidence of him saying it.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=1AA41A23-F4BD-A711-65AB44BE47A93F4B

This article had coaching jabs and dumb opinions.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Essentially Stewart got demoted but doesn't know it :lmao2:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Wow...that was not worth the time I spent reading it...what a scoop...

stupid non-story.

JRid21

Reaction score
Wade deserves all the credit he gets for the defense. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league and it has showed since he took over. As a head coach he is average to slightly above average but as a defensive coordinator he is amazing.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
If Phillips returns as head coach, I bet Stewart doesnt return as DC...he might have another role, but it wont be DC.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2479867 said:
This article had coaching jabs and dumb opinions.
Yes it did.

I was going to post something like what Mr. Cowboy did because I heard Mac talking about it on his weekly Wednesday bit on 103.3 today. Of course, Mac was spinning it to Galloway like he did in this article: That one, Wade was a liar for not telling the world this earlier, and that two, Wade was trying to get credit for the better defense lately.

Well, on point one, all coaches lie, or at least don't tell everything they know. Gawd knows Parcells did that (never telling us who was calling plays on offense until Sparano did after he left, claiming he didn't know what RB was in the game at crucial times, etc.) and the Engels worship him.

And point two couldn't be more of a pathetic reach. Wade didn't tell the world he was taking over precisely to protect Brian Stewart, a young guy who he hoped would succeed. In fact, Wade was pretty subdued after another game the defense almost single-handedly won... When Jim Reeves asked him if this was their best defensive game, he just said, "I think they're starting to get it." And it's not like Wade even said this today this in the PC -- he said it in the unfilmed and unrecorded walkoff with a few print reporters.

It's just more stupidity from this particular Engel.

I'll say it again: I've never seen a head coach who is a good man attacked so much for fielding two seasons of winning teams. It's just the chic thing for the braindead Engel-Galloway-Reeves-MacMahon crowd to do.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2480009 said:
Yes it did.

I was going to post something like what Mr. Cowboy did because I heard Mac talking about it on his weekly Wednesday bit on 103.3 today. Of course, Mac was spinning it to Galloway like he did in this article: That one, Wade was a liar for not telling the world this earlier, and that two, Wade was trying to get credit for the better defense lately.

Well, on point one, all coaches lie, or at least don't tell everything they know. Gawd knows Parcells did that (never telling us who was calling plays on offense until Sparano did after he left, claiming he didn't know what RB was in the game at crucial times, etc.) and the Engels worship him.

And point two couldn't be more of a pathetic reach. Wade didn't tell the world he was taking over precisely to protect Brian Stewart, a young guy who he hoped would succeed. In fact, Wade was pretty subdued after another game the defense almost single-handedly won... When Jim Reeves asked him if this was their best defensive game, he just said, "I think they're starting to get it." And it's not like Wade even said this today this in the PC -- he said it in the unfilmed and unrecorded walkoff with a few print reporters.

I'll say it again: I've never seen a head coach who is a good man attacked so much for fielding two seasons of winning teams. It's just the chic thing for the braindead Engel-Galloway-Reeves-MacMahon crowd to do.

That says it all for me. The guy has won over 70% of his games here, possibly the friendliest head coach in the league yet all these nedia sharks want to do is tear him down.

It says a lot about their character, imo.

ddh33

Reaction score
Still a big Wade fan. Maybe it's the southern part of me, but I like the way Wade deals with a lot of things. He wasn't trying to take credit, in my opinion. I don't think he was trying to lie either after that Rams game. I think he wanted to protect Stewart...

I swear, the media would like him better if he looked like a great head coach and had a 5-8 record.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2480009 said:
Yes it did.

As you know I was highly criticizing Wade Phillips until he got more involved and assertive over the last month. I still believe he overprotects staff (Stewart and Read) to a fault but he also is exhibiting the qualities that made Jerry select him.

The only downside to this process is the GM having to tell the head coach he needs to be more involved. That should never have happened in the first place, but credit Wade for listening in this instance and checking his ego at the door.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wait a minute...

Jerry told Wade to start calling the defenses... How can that be? Jerry telling Wade to actually be more involved in this defense, i.e. to take control. I thought Jerry wanted all control...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2479845 said:
"I call all the defenses," Phillips said Wednesday afternoon.

Good.

And bad.

So what does Stewart do? Our poor sideline management cost us a penalty on a crucial third down stop Sunday.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;2480711 said:
Good.

And bad.

So what does Stewart do? Our poor sideline management cost us a penalty on a crucial third down stop Sunday.

One stupid player (#21) cost us that penalty. Everyone else got it.