Eric Edholm Yahoo sports draft grades

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I have no issue with the writer's evaluation or with the grade. But there is need for context.

The same folks who have criticized the Cowboys' draft, or the drafts of other teams, conceded, for the most part, the unique nature of this draft. Teams had less information than in the past, and medical information was sparse until the 11th hour.

Many draft analysts and NFL insiders mentioned before the draft that there likely will be more than the usual number of early-round busts and late-round surprises. They seem to have forgotten those cautionary remarks now that the draft has passed.

The Cowboys could be ahead of the curve or behind the curve. Time will tell. But they've earned, in the draft room, a measure of confidence. And it is virtually impossible that the media scouts will have been as accurate this year as in the past. They don't have the resources possessed by the clubs.

I'm not particularly concerned in 2021 what media evaluators thought of any club's draft. We are are flying a bit blind.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
So what specifically occurred over the last quarter century that would lead you to this conclusion?
Your point is well taken. However, we did have stretch that they were smart enough to let McClay and his department do their jobs and we came away with some solid early round picks but also some later round picks that started and contributed at a respectable level.

This draft just wreaks of a weekend where you know that, as these picks are being announced, the scouts were sitting in a room with their palms in their faces. The whole thing felt forced, clumsy, and devoid of actually picking the best player available. They ignored better available talent and drafted strictly for need. That is and always has been a recipe for disaster.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is really my only real concern with the draft. His interests in his hip hop career seems to be as important to him as his athletic career

He would need to focus on one or the other and since he’s being paid by the Cowboys toud like to think that would be that but I am concerned his immaturity will lead him to believe he can do it all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alot of variables could make it a really good class. But I dont see how we dont make that 3 starter threshold. Alot rests on Parsons and Joseph buying in

I don’t see the 2 DL in the 3rd being any worse than solid.

The corner is an absolute mystery but the little bit of film I can find on him is very impressive and he moves so well for that size.

Jabril Cox is going to be a good nickel backer at worst. Dude can cover.

Josh Ball.. Bigtime athlete and should have no problem being the swing tackle for a few years for cheap. Also has upside to be a starter.

Simi Fekoa.. Like come on.. Potential for days. 6’4 can run, high point, can make the circus catch, and is shifty after the catch. With NFL potential and some work on his hands the sky is the limit. Big upside.

Kelvin Joseph should be better than Diggs.

Parsons.. Sky is the limit.. He’s raw but dude is a freak athlete and can blitz like no other.. I’m wondering if we get to see his hand in the dirt some too....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is really my only real concern with the draft. His interests in his hip hop career seems to be as important to him as his athletic career

He would need to focus on one or the other and since he’s being paid by the Cowboys toud like to think that would be that but I am concerned his immaturity will lead him to believe he can do it all.

Good news.. His rap music is not that good. If he wants a bigtime music career he’s going to have to earn it on the football field and not on the mic.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Final 2021 NFL draft grades

Eric Edholm

Sun, May 2, 2021, 5:27 PM·61 min read

Dallas Cowboys
Picks: 1-12: Penn State LB Micah Parsons; 2-44: Kentucky CB Kelvin Joseph; 3-75: UCLA DT Osa Odighizuwa; 3-84: Iowa EDGE Chauncey Golston; 3-99: Oregon State CB Nahshon Wright; 4-115: LSU LB Jabril Cox; 4-138: Marshall OT Josh Ball; 5-179: Stanford WR Simi Fehoko; 6-192: Kentucky DT Quinton Bohanna; 6-227: South Carolina CB Israel Mukuamu; 7-238: Nebraska OG Matt Farniok

Favorite pick: Cox

Our favorite by a country mile. Every other pick seemed to be close to where we thought they would land or lower. Cox slipping to Round 4 was a shock, as his coverage ability separated him from many other linebackers (including Parsons) in this year’s class. LSU coaches raved about Cox’s leadership. He’s a perfect complement to Parsons and could be part of a good duo that supplants Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith in time.

Least-favorite pick: Joseph

There’s an interesting talent here, as Joseph has decent length, great catch-up speed and some burgeoning ball skills. On talent alone, he was well worth his draft slot. But Joseph alienated himself with two different coaching staffs (LSU and Kentucky) and likely is in need of some maturing. Sources have said he can be headstrong and self-interested, and his commitment at both schools was questioned. If he can put it all together and adopt a team mindset, there’s a very good player. Joseph is a big risk for a Cowboys staff that is trying to rebuild the culture after a brutal 2020 season. They missed out on the top two corners, Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain II, and were unable to trade up in Round 2 for Tyson Campbell. Any of the three would have offered more stability.

Overall: The Cowboys’ patterned approach of taking character risks gives this class a frightening quality. Parsons was allegedly involved in a hazing scandal at PSU and had his maturity scrutinized during the process by multiple teams. We mentioned Joseph above. And Ball was not allowed to return to Florida State amid dating violence allegations before moving to Marshall. On top of that, things didn’t seem to line up extremely well for Dallas throughout the draft, and it adopted a carpet-bombing approach to aiding a weak defense. The Cowboys feasted on long corners such as Joseph, Wright and Mukuama, which makes sense for Dan Quinn’s defense, but the last two are major projects. Odighizuwa and Golston were not beloved by many scouts and felt overdrafted by a round apiece. We’ll say that Dallas’ scouting staff is considered one of the best talent-evaluating groups in the NFL, but we’re not sure this was their finest effort.

Grade: C-
Grade in 2020: A
Grade in 2019: C+

https://sports.yahoo.com/final-2021-nfl-draft-grades-002740584.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink
I totally agree with everything he said, ranked and his explanations. Exactly how I felt.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Again to me draft grades are fun but they are worthless. I’d be interested to see what people gave us for the Bobby carpenter draft or the mo Claiborne one.

Go look at our 2016 draft which everyone loved. We got some production out of it... but does anyone believe it was worth a high grade now?
Half the guys taken in the first round I don’t even know where they are anymore.

let’s hope we can get at least two starters out of this draft then I think that’s a success. My point is you never know. Let these guy get into camp and see what they have

waving monkey

Reaction score

Eric Edholm

Dallas Cowboys
Picks: 1-12: Penn State LB Micah Parsons; 2-44: Kentucky CB Kelvin Joseph; 3-75: UCLA DT Osa Odighizuwa; 3-84: Iowa EDGE Chauncey Golston; 3-99: Oregon State CB Nahshon Wright; 4-115: LSU LB Jabril Cox; 4-138: Marshall OT Josh Ball; 5-179: Stanford WR Simi Fehoko; 6-192: Kentucky DT Quinton Bohanna; 6-227: South Carolina CB Israel Mukuamu; 7-238: Nebraska OG Matt Farniok

Our favorite by a country mile. Every other pick seemed to be close to where we thought they would land or lower. Cox slipping to Round 4 was a shock, as his coverage ability separated him from many other linebackers (including Parsons) in this year’s class. LSU coaches raved about Cox’s leadership. He’s a perfect complement to Parsons and could be part of a good duo that supplants Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith in time.

There’s an interesting talent here, as Joseph has decent length, great catch-up speed and some burgeoning ball skills. On talent alone, he was well worth his draft slot. But Joseph alienated himself with two different coaching staffs (LSU and Kentucky) and likely is in need of some maturing. Sources have said he can be headstrong and self-interested, and his commitment at both schools was questioned. If he can put it all together and adopt a team mindset, there’s a very good player. Joseph is a big risk for a Cowboys staff that is trying to rebuild the culture after a brutal 2020 season. They missed out on the top two corners, Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain II, and were unable to trade up in Round 2 for Tyson Campbell. Any of the three would have offered more stability.

Overall: The Cowboys’ patterned approach of taking character risks gives this class a frightening quality. Parsons was allegedly involved in a hazing scandal at PSU and had his maturity scrutinized during the process by multiple teams. We mentioned Joseph above. And Ball was not allowed to return to Florida State amid dating violence allegations before moving to Marshall. On top of that, things didn’t seem to line up extremely well for Dallas throughout the draft, and it adopted a carpet-bombing approach to aiding a weak defense. The Cowboys feasted on long corners such as Joseph, Wright and Mukuama, which makes sense for Dan Quinn’s defense, but the last two are major projects. Odighizuwa and Golston were not beloved by many scouts and felt overdrafted by a round apiece. We’ll say that Dallas’ scouting staff is considered one of the best talent-evaluating groups in the NFL, but we’re not sure this was their finest effort.

https://sports.yahoo.com/final-2021-nfl-draft-grades-002740584.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink
could be a problem but i liked what I heard from both Parsons and Joseph in interviews. we'll see in about a year. their cowboys now

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t see the 2 DL in the 3rd being any worse than solid.

The corner is an absolute mystery but the little bit of film I can find on him is very impressive and he moves so well for that size.

Jabril Cox is going to be a good nickel backer at worst. Dude can cover.

Josh Ball.. Bigtime athlete and should have no problem being the swing tackle for a few years for cheap. Also has upside to be a starter.

Simi Fekoa.. Like come on.. Potential for days. 6’4 can run, high point, can make the circus catch, and is shifty after the catch. With NFL potential and some work on his hands the sky is the limit. Big upside.

Kelvin Joseph should be better than Diggs.

Parsons.. Sky is the limit.. He’s raw but dude is a freak athlete and can blitz like no other.. I’m wondering if we get to see his hand in the dirt some too....
I like Osa's floor is a Marcus Spears level guy

Its more of an indication of how weak the edge class was, but Parsons might be the 3rd or 4th best edge rusher in the class lol

Kwyn

Reaction score
Good news.. His rap music is not that good. If he wants a bigtime music career he’s going to have to earn it on the football field and not on the mic.
It’s better than most athletes who fancy themselves artists

Ge’s got people around him though who are invested in his music emotionally and will likely continue to fan that flame.

I watched all of his YouTube videos and it’s clear he takes it seriously, or as seriously as he takes his football.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Everyone thinks they are going to be the next JayZ.

ESisback

Reaction score
IMHO, they reached on a few, and they “settled” on a couple, but I think at the very least that Parsons and Cox were impact players, Joseph will stick, and Bohanna could occupy enough to help the LBers clean up. Best case scenario? We’ll also get help from Wright, Golston and Odighizuwa. Of course I’m just speculating, but aren’t we all?

heir

Reaction score

Eric Edholm

Dallas Cowboys

Pretty accurate to me

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am looking at 3 guys that will be the key to this draft, Parsons, Joseph, and Ball. If these guys hit this will be a great draft. The media seems to be killing our draft grade because these players don’t seem like good dudes. Ball is especially disturbing because of his domestic violence allegations. He must be really talented because most guys in his situation would go undrafted.