Eric Moulds would be a Better Fit...

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
...with the Houston Texans, or with the Eagles? Here's some background...

Eagles Update: The Eagles and Eric Moulds' agent are also involved in some kind of dance. On WIP-AM, Greg Johnson said last night he talked with team president Joe Banner several times yesterday. "The sense that I get is that there is major interest on both parts," Johnson said. "Because of that, I believe that a deal can be worked out." He'd prefer to see his client traded, preserving his lofty contract. The Eagles would prefer to negotiate a less pricey deal ... after Buffalo cuts the receiver. Moulds said he wants to play here. But the Texans are also pursuing him. WIP's Howard Eskin, hinting at inside information, said yesterday that the Eagles are determined to add a top receiver who will be come available after his team cuts him. Javon Walker might also fit that description, although Green Bay might hold the line and keep him.

The plot definitely thickens ...will Moulds be a Texan or an Eagle? I think it will come down to money for the Texaans. Why, becaue Houston is looking for a backup WR, while the Eagles are looking more toward a playmaker/starter.

Another point to consider is that Mouldsactually wants to be an Eagle -- and he knows that Javon Walker is someone that the Eagles is considering also.

Who would you want on your team, and who do you think would be more of a threat In the NFCE ...Moulds or Walker?

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Hmm.. Good question. I think Walker.. if healthy mind you, is the better threat. But it's a shame for them that we don't need either.

Wood

Reaction score
You know the times are improving for Cowboy fans when we will start TO and Glenn.....and the eagles are fighting for a WR on the downside of his career. On paper...I know think Dallas and Philadelphia are even....3 years ago...it wasnt even close.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Funxva said:
Hmm.. Good question. I think Walker.. if healthy mind you, is the better threat. But it's a shame for them that we don't need either.

That's an Interesting point, because I haven't heard too much about Walker's health lately. But that makes me believe that Walker would be more prone to reinjury than Moulds. Hmmm!?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I'd say walker because I think he's a bit better and the offensive system he's played in is the same as what the Eagles run.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Wood said:
You know the times are improving for Cowboy fans when we will start TO and Glenn.....and the eagles are fighting for a WR on the downside of his career. On paper...I know think Dallas and Philadelphia are even....3 years ago...it wasnt even close.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it -- operant words being ...on paper."

lkelly

Reaction score
Either would be an upgrade. I assume Moulds would come cheaper as far as trade compensation is concerned, but Walker would be a better long term solution. Philly would have to give him a major contract in order to make him happy.

I have no idea why Green Bay would trade Walker - especially to another NFC team. Unless they have lost their minds, they keep Walker and make him play out his deal. Then, if he has a huge year, they franchise him and try to trade him if needed.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I'd say walker because I think he's a bit better and the offensive system he's played in is the same as what the Eagles run.

A_F, I believe the Cowboys play Houston again this year -- that said, do you think Moulds would be a factor in deciding the outcome, or do you think Eldorado will make the difference. Heard a little something about Houston's defense beIng tougher than in past years (don't remember where I read that).

lkelly

Reaction score
Houston was horrendous last year. They should be improved, but Eric Moulds isn't exactly going to put them over the top. Adding an offensive line, better coaching, and figuring out if you have a QB are higher priorities for them.

johnnycomelately

Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with either Moulds or Walker. Both really tough and terrific playmakers. My opinion is that Moulds may be a little bit of a better possession receiver than Walker but whatever the difference ..it's marginal.

I just hope that somehow the Eagles get neither.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Either would be an upgrade. I assume Moulds would come cheaper as far as trade compensation is concerned, but Walker would be a better long term solution. Philly would have to give him a major contract in order to make him happy.

I have no idea why Green Bay would trade Walker - especially to another NFC team. Unless they have lost their minds, they keep Walker and make him play out his deal. Then, if he has a huge year, they franchise him and try to trade him if needed.

Tuesday, March 28WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
s3510.jpg

Eric Moulds
Bills
Insider Only
in.gif
Moulds suitors lining up
Insider Only
in.gif
WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY
s5906.jpg

Javon Walker
Packers
Insider Only
in.gif
Broncos inquire about Walker
Insider Only
in.gif

Moulds has the edge with me, not because he'll cost less to acquire, but because he's healthier; and younger (don't hold me to the age componeny).

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Danny White said:
Shouldn't this be in the NFL Zone?

You be the judge DW. But before you slam the gavel down, have you considered that Cowboys GM may have a small interest in acquiring Moulds or Walker?

That said, this thread would be very appropos ...

ProSportsDaily. com: Dallas or Philadelphia would be good fits. Cowboys QB Drew Bledsoe could have fun throwing to Moulds, Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn and tight end Jason Whitten. A reasonable price for Moulds would be a late second-round or early third-round draft pick.

ProSportsDaily. com

ravidubey

Reaction score
Philadelphia will upgrade their WR position. Moulds and Walker are the best that can be had at this time. Philly is waiting for Moulds' situation to be resolved before deciding whether to sweeten their offer for Walker. I'm thinking Moulds is 75% headed to Philly, and maybe 25% headed to Miami. You know the Bills are terrified of him becoming a Dolphin, so they will hold onto his rights as long as possible.

Miami might break the bank for Lavar Arrington and thus make it harder for them to sign Moulds, so I look for Moulds to come free after Miami has used up most of their cap space so he can go to Philadelphia where Buffalo wants him-- namely out of the AFC East.

If Moulds falls through, I look for Philly to heat up talks with Green Bay for Walker. He's a legit #1 WR in the WCO, though Brett Favre has a way of making players a notch or two better than they are, Walker was a difference maker in GB both deep and accross the middle-- the signs of a true #1.

Despite Walker's griping and sniping with his QB (eerily similar to Philly's own hassles), the situation sounds like a good fit for Philly. He's young, he's good, he's worth a big contract.

The trouble is the draft pick; GB wants a 2nd Philly's willing to trade a 3rd. But I think that's all posturing. I think Walker leaves GB the week of the draft, with Moulds' course affecting Walker's own destination.

Gfunk

Reaction score
a McNabb/Walker connection for years to come scares me a lot more than stop gap player like Moulds​

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Philadelphia will upgrade their WR position. Moulds and Walker are the best that can be had at this time. Philly is waiting for Moulds' situation to be resolved before deciding whether to sweeten their offer for Walker. I'm thinking Moulds is 75% headed to Philly, and maybe 25% headed to Miami. You know the Bills are terrified of him becoming a Dolphin, so they will hold onto his rights as long as possible.

Miami might break the bank for Lavar Arrington and thus make it harder for them to sign Moulds, so I look for Moulds to come free after Miami has used up most of their cap space so he can go to Philadelphia where Buffalo wants him-- namely out of the AFC East.

If Moulds falls through, I look for Philly to heat up talks with Green Bay for Walker. He's a legit #1 WR in the WCO, though Brett Favre has a way of making players a notch or two better than they are, Walker was a difference maker in GB both deep and accross the middle-- the signs of a true #1.

Despite Walker's griping and sniping with his QB (eerily similar to Philly's own hassles), the situation sounds like a good fit for Philly. He's young, he's good, he's worth a big contract.

The trouble is the draft pick; GB wants a 2nd Philly's willing to trade a 3rd. But I think that's all posturing. I think Walker leaves GB the week of the draft, with Moulds' course affecting Walker's own destination.

Very good read; I agree with most of your perspective rav. I think Moulds will become an Eagle because he's openly expressed a desire to play for the eagles; while Walker merely stated that he would rather retire than play for the Packers. That could make the difference also.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Let me see....an over 30 receiver who thinks he deserves big money is excited about the possibility of coming to catch passes from Donovan McNabb. The Eagles are interested but trying to get him for short money, so they can continue to be 30m or so under the cap. This is starting to sound very familiar....:laugh2:

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Let me see....an over 30 receiver who thinks he deserves big money is excited about the possibility of coming to catch passes from Donovan McNabb. The Eagles are interested but trying to get him for short money, so they can continue to be 30m or so under the cap. This is starting to sound very familiar....:laugh2:

Dejavue?! Perhaps! I didn't know Walker was so young -- he's only 27! Moulds is 32 years old and counting. Still, one/both will make an outstanding addition to someone.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Gfunk said:
a McNabb/Walker connection for years to come scares me a lot more than stop gap player like Moulds​

Definitely. Walker and Brown could be a dangerous duo for years to come. Our best hope is that Philadelphia continues to be squeamish about Walker's price.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Dejavue?! Perhaps! I didn't know Walker was so young -- he's only 27! Moulds is 32 years old and counting. Still, one/both will make an outstanding addition to someone.

While I like Moulds he's never been an over-the-middle threat like his size would lend you to believe. He's a deep WR in a big WR's body. His size and talent help him gain separation from smaller corners deep, but he's never been one to consistently catch the short pass in traffic and turn it upfield for a big gain. That's what the best NFL WR's do, which is the main reason Moulds has always been just outside the radar screen in discussions of the NFL's elite WR's. Moulds makes catches in space, but does not use his body well enough unless the defender is tiny.