Eric Scott Jr on the bubble

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That being said, he needs to earn his roster spot. I don't want to keep him because of the draft capital invested in him.
You are wise beyond your years. That is a spot on assessment of what this team should subscribe to at all times. The best effective or dominating player should start or be on the team. That is every position. I love it when fans on here see things with a clear eye view. Sometimes I agree with them but other times not so much. But here I agree wholeheartedly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Serious question. What is the fascination w/ our mid/late round DB's that we take? Why do they get hyped and hoped so much? I mean, they don't make it. Sure, you find an occasional Bland, but that's after sifting through pick after pick after pick of DB's.

So, why do we think the Eric Scott's and Reggie Robinson's are going to be good?

kskboys

Reaction score
you think we aren’t going to have any CBs on our PS?
the last couple of years have proven the need to have a lot of CBs around. You keep the best players in addition to potential positions of need and guys you may need to get through practice during the season. You can always poach a player from another team’s PS at a position of need if it turns out to not be CB if you need to. It’s also good to have DBs if you need to call up a guy for special teams as they can always run down on punts and kickoffs.
Didn't take the last couple of years, dude, it's always been that way.

No idea, but I'd rather have one w/ the potential to start at some point.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’ve seen more out of Scott than Joseph & Nashon Wright combined . Getting Booth for Wright is wonderful . I think with Scott it’s a numbers game . He’s worth trying to stash on PS .

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The defensive backfield is easily Dallas' deepest position. Scott being on the bubble is mostly the result of simply a lot of good players in front of him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's what I was thinking. Lacks the skills to be a high level player. Meh. Reggie Robinson part deux.
Perfect comparison. I think Robinson was over projected in Nolans scheme as a press guy. Its a case of looking at fit over the complete make up of a player. Even if we kept Nolans scheme, he probably never would have seen the field anyways. Scott is that way with Quinns scheme

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I hate to lose him also. Spending two picks on a player only to cut him a year later leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, he needs to earn his roster spot. I don't want to keep him because of the draft capital invested in him.

True, and it's also a situation of this secondary having a lot of talent. He'd probably start on most teams, but we have a lot of good dbs, so making this squad as a db is challenging.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Special Teams play usually determines the bottom of the roster. Last year there were 7 CBs on the initial roster and that didn't include Goodwin who was originally cut and then brought back. I think they may do something similar with Goodwin so I'll leave him off to the side. At a bare minimum I think it will be these 5:
Diggs
Bland
Lewis
Carson
Booth

I suspect they also keep at least one more. It's a tossup but I'll guess it's Hall.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was critical of Scott last year. He looked awful in preseason games. He was slow catching up when receivers made a move on him. But in the little I have watched him this year he does look a little better. I still don't think he makes the 53 man roster because some of the other guys appear to be better. It is so hard to judge from practice and preseason alone. Maybe he needs time? I just do not get why they moved up to take him last year. Carson appears to be a better CB. Booth could be too. The Cowboys have a tough decision to make when it comes to CBs. They don't want to make a mistake there.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I used to be disappointed when a favorite of mine was cut, traded, or demoted. However, I've been wrong so many times that I now accept the coaching decisions.

They may be wrong sometimes but they are there, breathing the same air as the players and seeing things with their own experienced professional eyes.

I didn't like it in 1978 when Golden Richards was replaced as a WR starter by Tony Hill. Hill only went on to be their leading receiver for 8 consecutive years. Richards was traded and never heard from again.
John Wooten pulled that off. Hill hurt his ankle his senior year but had a 1st round grade like his Stanford teammate James Lofton. James was the 6th overall pick in the 1978 draft and Hill had better stats and was a 4 year starter at Stanford. But, for some reason the ankle injury dropped him down. Wooten brought Drew Pearson to the Cowboys, because of this, Wooten had huge influence on the 1977 draft. He convinced Tom Landry and Gil Brandt that Tony Dorsett was not to small and Tony Hill was not an injury risk.

Tony Dorsett, and Tony Hill was a great start to the 1977 draft.

plasticman

Reaction score
John Wooten pulled that off. Hill hurt his ankle his senior year but had a 1st round grade like his Stanford teammate James Lofton. James was the 6th overall pick in the 1978 draft and Hill had better stats and was a 4 year starter at Stanford. But, for some reason the ankle injury dropped him down. Wooten brought Drew Pearson to the Cowboys, because of this, Wooten had huge influence on the 1977 draft. He convinced Tom Landry and Gil Brandt that Tony Dorsett was not to small and Tony Hill was not an injury risk.

Tony Dorsett, and Tony Hill was a great start to the 1977 draft.
It was a great draft!

Many teams in history have lamented the need for that "missing piece", that one player that can get them to a championship. They are usually wrong, for example, the Vikings getting Herschel Walker.

In the case of the Cowboys, they were "right on", to borrow a 70's expression. They had everything from the 1975 draft with the exception of an elite runner. Dorsett was a Ferrari engine that could score from anywhere and look good doing it. They were in the Super Bowl his rookie year and the year after that.

They also picked up two tackles that played many seasons, Jim Cooper and Andy Frederick. They drafted two QB's. Unfortunately, they kept the wrong one. You will find the other, Steve Deberg, in few "top" lists associated with longevity.