Erickson fired as 49ers coach

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dennis Erickson has been fired as coach of the San Francisco 49ers and general manager Terry Donahue has reached a settlement to step down, FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer has learned.

The 49ers finished with a league-worst 2-14 record in 2004.
The moves are expected to be announced at a press conference later this afternoon. In fact, members of Erickson's staff, perhaps looking for work now, have already informed friends around the league that their coach has been let go.

FOX NFL Sunday first reported four weeks ago that such a move with Erickson would occur during or shortly after the season.

Tuesday, Dr. John York told FOXSports.com that he was still meeting with both Erickson and Donahue and would continue to meet with them through Wednesday. Those meetings have apparently led to the end of Erickson's and perhaps Donahue's regimes in San Francisco.

York also met with the pair on Monday and on Sunday he acknowledged that this season was unacceptable and something had to change.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Dennis Erickson has been fired as coach of the San Francisco 49ers and general manager Terry Donahue has reached a settlement to step down, FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer has learned.

The moves are expected to be announced at a press conference later this afternoon. In fact, members of Erickson's staff, perhaps looking for work now, have already informed friends around the league that their coach has been let go.

FOX NFL Sunday first reported four weeks ago that such a move with Erickson would occur during or shortly after the season.

Tuesday, Dr. John York told FOXSports.com that he was still meeting with both Erickson and Donahue and would continue to meet with them through Wednesday. Those meetings have apparently led to the end of Erickson's and perhaps Donahue's regimes in San Francisco.

York also met with the pair on Monday and on Sunday he acknowledged that this season was unacceptable and something had to change.

LOL!!!!

What a surprise. Not like you could tell this would happen the day they announced the hire. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cheating SOBs.

Our luck, they probably hire Ron Wolf and Bob Stoops to replace these arse clowns.

Mash

Reaction score
Worst news I heard all day....

I was hoping they would be there for a decade or so....

I hate the 49's more then any other NFL team.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Carroll would be crazy to leave his current gig for the 49ers, he has a young USC team and the 49ers front office ain't what it used to be.

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
JBRockBottom31 said:
Rumor here in Cali is the Niners want Pete Carroll and might draft Leinart....crazy

Sounds like a good fit for Norm Chow. They could hire him, and draft Leinart, and take that offense to the pros.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Mash said:
Worst news I heard all day....

I was hoping they would be there for a decade or so....

I hate the 49's more then any other NFL team.
So do I!! (In case anyone hasn't realized that already!! :D )

Waffle

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Maybe York should have started with himself first.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
E-dog said:
Sounds like a good fit for Norm Chow. They could hire him, and draft Leinart, and take that offense to the pros.
And be in position to draft Reggie Bush in 06 :D

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
All that hard work to finish 2-14 and he doesn't even get to reap the benefits of a #1 pick. :banghead:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
LOL!!!!

What a surprise. Not like you could tell this would happen the day they announced the hire. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cheating SOBs.

Our luck, they probably hire Ron Wolf and Bob Stoops to replace these arse clowns.

Agreed. One knew his firing was imminent the day he was hired.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
This is the kind of knee jerk reaction that I hate to see in the NFL. They brought in Ericson to rebuild a team in salary cap trouble then let him go before he even has a chance to get started. This is why I am not in favor of ditching Parcells after this year even though I don't see where he has made any progress either (in fact IMO he the team has regressed).

One thing about the 49er situation is that the new coach steps into a great situation with no where to go but UP. He will have a great draft pick to work with and a lot of options since they should now have cap room.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This is the kind of knee jerk reaction that I hate to see in the NFL. They brought in Ericson to rebuild a team in salary cap trouble then let him go before he even has a chance to get started. This is why I am not in favor of ditching Parcells after this year even though I don't see where he has made any progress either (in fact IMO he the team has regressed).

One thing about the 49er situation is that the new coach steps into a great situation with no where to go but UP. He will have a great draft pick to work with and a lot of options since they should now have cap room.

Usually, I would probably agree with this position. However, in this case, I think the 49rs did the right thing. I don't think Erickson was a very good coach and I don't think the 49rs were making progress. Coaching staff and GM didn't work with the front office. Not saying it isn't because of the front office, it probably was but either way, these pieces have to be able to work together. If they don't, might as well forgetaboutit.

Erickson was the place holder. The new coach will be a marque guy. Hell be the one the 49rs probably wanted to hire all along. From a business perspective, this is exactly when you want to go out and get a good HC. Cap will be in line, draft will be strong, situation will be condusive to succees. Nows the time to attract the guy you want.

Reaction score
Erickson was in a no win situation from Day 1. The team was in cap trouble. The owners didn't want to spend dollars on players. He watched as guys like Owens and Garcia walk away without adequate replacements. He changed the teams offensive philosophy that was a staple of the team for over 2 decades. Problem was he didn't have the players to play his new system.

Add to that numerous injuries and the simple fact that he isn't a very good coach to start with and you have the disaster we see today.

Life is sometimes just too sweet.:)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Erickson had failed in the NFL before yet they expected him to turn around that crap in 1 year? Wow.

The 49ers are an expansion franchise right now with a broke owner.
The NFL should petition for the Lombardi's back.

I think they should hire Dave Campo as coach and George Bush to manage the salary cap. :)

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Waffle. LOL at 49erHaters. That site is hype!! Good stuff thats for sure.

Well Ill say this. Ill be glad when Im respondin to a post like this but the post is.....Mike ZImmer fired.

Nabon

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

My only question is why did york resign Terry and then later dismiss him, I think the answer to that is Ms York also know as Denise DeBartolo York she has been sick of the 9ers lossing and see hates Terry and DE and has now steped in and told her husband what he should do....

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
JBRockBottom31 said:
Rumor here in Cali is the Niners want Pete Carroll and might draft Leinart....crazy

It's not a rumor as much as its a wish JB.

Waffle

Reaction score
Wolverine said:
Waffle. LOL at 49erHaters. That site is hype!! Good stuff thats for sure.

Well Ill say this. Ill be glad when Im respondin to a post like this but the post is.....Mike ZImmer fired.
I figured YOU would like it!! :D